Sugars--24 grams ain't much, is it?

zanniew
zanniew Posts: 26 Member
Hi, everyone! I'm new here, and wondering if anyone can explain the 24 grams of sugars that my diet plan suggests. It's hard in the summer to completely deny myself fresh fruit, but surely 2 servings a day is not too much. I eat no sugared foods; but the carrots, grape tomatoes, and beets add up very quickly, so that with some melon and berries, I'm quickly way over the limit. Am I misunderstanding the 24 grams? Is that only for added sugars, honey and sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup?
Thanks for the info!
Zannie

Replies

• zanniew
    Hi, everyone! I'm new here, and wondering if anyone can explain the 24 grams of sugars that my diet plan suggests. It's hard in the summer to completely deny myself fresh fruit, but surely 2 servings a day is not too much. I eat no sugared foods; but the carrots, grape tomatoes, and beets add up very quickly, so that with some melon and berries, I'm quickly way over the limit. Am I misunderstanding the 24 grams? Is that only for added sugars, honey and sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup?
    Thanks for the info!
    Zannie
  • I am also struggling with the sugar limits, because I exceed without eating anything I would consider "sugary" just like you've described. I thought I'd check this out with a nutritionist. If I learn anything helpful, I'll let you know.
  • if either of you learn anything i'd like to know as well because instead of eating sugary foods (fruit snacks, etc.) i've been trying to eat fruit but i always end up way over the limit!
  • That's a good question! I am fairly active and eat very clean, 99% homemade food. I only get sugar from the fresh stuff I pick and freeze unsweetened once a week (Peaches last thursday!). But I have heard that even rye flour turns into sugar in your body- I bake my own bread. I am 100% sure that getting your sugar from whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables is better for losing weight, and better in general than eating any kind of processed sugar or corn syrup, but how does one keep sugar down, especially during the summer harvest?
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    only worry about the sugar number if you're going over from added sugar, and becareful not to OVER do it on fruit, but def. dont limit it because of its natural sugars!
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    shkaki speaks the truth. If you aren't going over on added or refined sugars, don't worry about it. Natural sugars are way different than added sugar...so eat up that frush fruit, and stay away from the high fructos corn syrup
  • zanniew
    Karen, thanks: I'd love to know if you discover anything.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    I am also wondering about the the sugar grams I mean everything has sugar it seems. I will be checking into it and also checking this post so any info is greatly appreciated. good question