How to "save" calories?

Options
Hello so I am supposed to have a maintenance of 1460 calories per day ... If I consume 1200 Monday through Friday and on Saturday and Sunday eat 2100 per day will I still be maintaining? :) because 2100 seems to be a lot for just one day...

Replies

• tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    yes weightloss goes over a period of time not just one day..
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Theoretically yes it should balance out in the end on the scale.m Remember though you will lose a little every week from Monday to Friday and it won't be just fat it will be some lean muscle as well. When you eat a surplus over the weekend you should lift weights or at least do some body resistance strength training. If you don't you will only gain back fat and over a long period of time even though you're weight won't change, your body composition will. Less muscle means a slower metabolism, which will eventually lead to weight gain.
  • manningania
    manningania Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Theoretically yes it should balance out in the end on the scale.m Remember though you will lose a little every week from Monday to Friday and it won't be just fat it will be some lean muscle as well. When you eat a surplus over the weekend you should lift weights or at least do some body resistance strength training. If you don't you will only gain back fat and over a long period of time even though you're weight won't change, your body composition will. Less muscle means a slower metabolism, which will eventually lead to weight gain.

I walk on the treadmill every day for at least an hour and Dirtbike on weekends, would that cause fat gain? Cuz I'm terrible at lifting weights lol
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    OP, read new rules of lifting for women :-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hello so I am supposed to have a maintenance of 1460 calories per day ... If I consume 1200 Monday through Friday and on Saturday and Sunday eat 2100 per day will I still be maintaining? :) because 2100 seems to be a lot for just one day...
    Wait a minute. 1460 seems like low maintenance calories, unless you are very short and/or don't exercise at all or much.

Where did you get that number for your maintenance calories from?

To answer your question, it's fine to stagger your calories, I just would not go too low on your lower calorie days.
  • manningania
    manningania Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute. 1460 seems like low maintenance calories, unless you are very short and/or don't exercise at all or much.

Where did you get that number for your maintenance calories from?

To answer your question, it's fine to stagger your calories, I just would not go too low on your lower calorie days.

I got that number from tdee online calculators and I input as sedentary so that when I go on the treadmill I can eat those calories I burned back daily lol for example I burn 300 that day on the treadmill and I'll eat 1500 that day :)
  • Cmnden
    Cmnden Posts: 8
    Options
    Calories "in" should be earmarked for metabolic processes and to fuel exercise. I would not recommend cutting back during the week so that you can indulge on Sunday. By doing this, you're stealing from your body's needed supply during the week, and then by over-doing it on Sunday, you are storing a bunch of calories as fat.

Instead, keep your calories consistent. If you happen to go over one day, then the next day you can compensate by cutting back on some calories (usually carbs) and increasing cardio. Do not skip meals, just cut back for 1-2 days.
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    be careful about adding calories to your diet baised on what an exercise machine says. Even if you put your age, weight, and gender in, those things (even the most expensive ones) have been shown to be up to 30% off. I'm sorry I don't have links but if you are interested in it, try googling it, as there are plenty of articles on that subject.