Will I gain weigh if...

I just realized that I am not eating enough calories. I am nursing my two month old daughter and only getting around 1700 calories a day. If I start eating more will I gain weight before I can lose it? And if I stay at 1700 Calories for now and after I am done nursing only eat 1200, will that be a bad thing?

Replies

• kris2600
    kris2600 Posts: 149
    I just realized that I am not eating enough calories. I am nursing my two month old daughter and only getting around 1700 calories a day. If I start eating more will I gain weight before I can lose it? And if I stay at 1700 Calories for now and after I am done nursing only eat 1200, will that be a bad thing?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    You need to eat enough calories to produce milk for your little one. If you do not consume enough calories and nutrients, you will not have enough for you little one. If you are exercising you shouldn't gain weight. As long as you are eating healthy.
    I know when I breast fed my daughter, I had to increase my calories to keep up with her. My obgyn made me increase by 500.
    Hope this was of some help.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    you need to consume enough calories primarily for your daughter if you don't your milk can upset her stomach. I tried and suffered terribly to diet whilst breastfeeding (only for 1 week mind I came to my senses after a talk with my breastfeeding adviser) it is not worth it. Eat for your baby, I was told you should eat around 2500 to 3000 cals your baby needs it. the older she gets the more she need and your body has to work harder If your babe 2 mnths you are probably due a growth spurt so it even more important than ever just to eat right. I had to be really careful as my daughter wouldn't take her milk any other way.

When you have your baby on solids start calorie counting more seriously.

You need to consume plenty of good calories and you are breastfeeding you deserve to eat what you want and relax a bit.

Be careful you don't overdo it on exercise either as this can deplete your milk and make it taste funny it also can cause your baby to get wind as toxins from your blood get flushed into your bloodstream.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    What ICANDOIT SAID!
    I am thinking that 1700 calories seem like enough to feed you AND your little one.
    When you stop breast feeding however, you need to take up more activity to burn off extra calories that your body is used to storing to provide milk for your baby, and by then cut the calories to around 1200. Do it gradually. IE One week 1500 to 1600 week 2 1300 to 1400 week 3 down to the normal 1200 calories.
    IF you STAY at 1700 you will have to work out more then you would at 1200 calories.
    Remember that MFP uses a round number because each person is different. a little over or under is not a problem, a LOT OVER OR UNDER THAT is a problem.
    --Diann...:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    1700 may be all you need for you and the little one. If you aren't producing enough milk on 1700 calories you will know it by the amount of milk produced and how often your baby needs to feed. I made the mistake of adding calories for my kids and then I never got rid of them after. You will know, but don't worry too much about it because you are aware and surely willing to exercise once the baby isn't nursing anymore!
  • kris2600
    So as long as my calories are from good food I should be fine? I gained 30lbs after having my first daughter and am trying not to do that again. I have changed my eating habits but I am still afraid of gaining and at the same time don't want to hurt my baby.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    If you're in a caloric deficit, you won't gain any fat. You may gain weight from having extra food in your gut, or retaining water, but don't confuse weight with fat, they are *not* the same thing. And your BMR is definitely higher than 1200. You should use a BMR calculator to figure that out, and then add 300-500 calories to it because you're breastfeeding. Then add whatever exercise you're doing on top of that. Everyone needs to stop using this arbitrary 1200 number...it is too general! Find out exactly what you need as an individual, especially because you are using your body to fuel another person.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Enjoy. They grow up so fast. If you don't lose weight while you are breast feeding, but you are becoming healthier, that is a reward in its self. Go for walks and exercise, but eat enough for the both of you. Be real careful when you are adding different foods in your diet. Like changing to whole grains and whole wheat's. Make sure your daughter doesn't have reactions.
    Take care,
    Renee
  • kris2600
    I never thought about the fact that changing my diet could cause my daughter to have a reaction. Thank you very much! :happy: