Getting Started with Maintaining Weight/Building Muscle?

Options
I was too fat, now I'm a tad too skinny. That was a my bad; I got so used to eating 1300-1400 calories a day, that I was afraid to go any higher. To be honest, I still am, but I've definitely gotten too skinny. I was wondering how I should go about stopping losing weight? And then building a bit of muscle? I've changed my workout from daily 10 minute bursts to around 30 minutes to an hour length strength workouts a couple times a week. I have also increased my calorie intake to 1500 (I plan on gradually going higher as I go). I weigh 98 lbs at 5 foot 1 inches. My goal is to tone all over, but more specifically I want to thin my waist and thicken my arms and legs.
Is this... good? I guess? Do you guys have any tips? Any corrections? As much help as possible would be appreciated.

Replies

• gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi there we are pretty much in the same boat. I'm 4'11 and currently weigh 101lb although I have put 5lbs on since I started weight lifting, I'm assuming its muscle and not fat as I've dropped two inches off my waist. This is what I am doing at the moment to increase muscle; I've upped my kcal intake to 1510 per day. This is only my maintenance kcal amount though as I plan to increase it as the week go on, to enable new muscle growth. I've started doing the All pro bodybuilding building routine 3x a week, plus 10 mins high intensity cardio on my workout days.

I am going to see how I get on with 1510 kcals for a couple of weeks although think I may have to increase it as I accidentally lost a pound last week.
  • Ginerrva
    Ginerrva Posts: 226
    Options
    Thank you! It feels good to know I'm not the only one in this situation :)
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you want a good toning/muscle building program me Google All pro bodybuilding IIII. This is what I'm doing and it feels great.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Start a strength training program. Stronglifts 5x5 is a great start.
    Start paying attention to your macros, and to get a good idea of the calories you want for your goals try http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • Tricep_A_Tops_
    Tricep_A_Tops_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was where you are a few years ago. I ended up too thin after reaching my weight loss goal. Here are a few things. First, there is no such thing as " toning" Second if your not gaining fat you are not gaining muscle so its virtually impossible thin your waist and gain muscle at the same time. Third you are not going to gain much lean muscle by only eating 1,500 calories per day. My suggestion is to do a lean bulk for a few months then eat at a deficit to cut the fat gained from bulking and repeat. The hardest part is being able to wrap your mind around trying to gain weight on purpose after trying to lose weight for such a long period of time, it probably took me 4-5 months after finishing my 83 lb weight loss to be able to do it. You need to just have the confidence that you will be able to get rid of the additional fat gained as a result of your bulking
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You need to increase your calories if you want to gain any muscle. I lift weights 2-3x/week and do some cardio, and need to eat over 2000 calories in order to MAINTAIN. ( 5'3" 110) You have to be in a calorie surplus to gain muscle, or at least in maintenance to do a slow recomp. But, since you think you are too skinny, you need to find your maintenance calories, then eat above that in order to gain muscle.
  • Ginerrva
    Ginerrva Posts: 226
    Options
    I do plan on eating more. I just need to fall into that habit gradually, to avoid reverting back to my "lose weight lose weight lose weight" mindset :)
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    In a similar situation, 5ft and 99lbs, skinny arms with no shape but a flabby tummy still. Scared to increase cals but going up a steady 50 cals weekly. I'm sorry I can't offer advice but would like to keep an eye out for advice ur going to get... Congrats on ur loss!