Frustrated. Not losing anything. Is it the wine?

Options
I just joined MFP today. I started jogging in mid February to lose weight. At that point, I was only running 1.5-2 mi per run 1-2 times per week. I did better in March running 3-4 times per week averaging 2.5-3 mi per run. I am now running 4x a week and averaging 3.5-4.5 mi per run. But I have not lose ANY weight. Not an ounce. I am slightly more toned but that is it. I am continuously trying to improve my diet but I now wondering if the most obvious reason for my lack of weight loss is how much wine I drink. I drink about 19-25 ounces of wine 5 times a week. In calories, that's 509-635 calories every time I drink. I saw some forum posts from members who said cutting out alcohol did not help them lose weight. But I am wondering if for some reason it is an issue for me personally. Thoughts?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    As long as you count the wine in your calories, it shouldn't affect your weight loss at all.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    600x5=3000 calories. 1lb=3500 calories. In theory, cutting out wine would aid weight loss. I'm not sure it is this simple. But if it is this simple, I would try cutting out the wine.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat or drink has a calorie count associated with it (water being 0, for example). If you're not losing weight, as a whole you are eating & drinking more calories than you burn

If you want more specific advise than this you would need to open up your diary: Settings -> Diary Settings -> Diary Sharing (Select Public) -> Save Changes
  • andreavarangu
    andreavarangu Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a glass or more often two of wine every day. Since I've started with MFP and I've been planning my calorie intake more consciously (that is focussing on getting the most bang for my buck calorie-wise) I have found that by limiting my wine to only a couple of times a week....and usually keeping it to one 8oz serving....I am more successful losing weight.

I don't think it's anything special about the calorie source. Calories are calories....but now I class the wine as a treat like chocolate and I don't make room for it everyday like I once did (when I was absolutely exceeding the number of calories I should be eating) After all that's how I ended up gaining the extra pounds over the years.

The other thing about wine for me is when I'm drinking wine is also when I'm most likely to give in to temptation and eat that extra cheese or chocolate or whatever goodies are around.

So now on my non-wine evenings I enjoy tea (for a tannin hit) or sparkling water and I've come to enjoy those evenings just fine. One nice side-effect I've noticed is that I feel more hydrated the next morning.....something I didn't really notice before.

I've been on MFP for a month and I've lost five and half pounds without feeling deprived.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    So about 5 bottles/week? That probably averages out to almost 3500 calories/week. If you're not logging the wine, overestimating your burns, etc, you could easily be stuck b/c of those calories. Track intake and exercise as accurately as possible and maybe cut back to a couple bottles/week either way. That's a lot of wine.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    The bottom line: A calorie truly is a calorie, despite what people say. It really doesn't matter what you consume, just as long as you take in less than you burn. This is referred to as calorie counting, If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM), etc. It's what Myfitnesspal is based on. So just put all of your data in correctly, have whatever you like, put in your exercise, and let the app guide you to your goals!
  • Madison1Jones
    Options
    I have been studying this middle age phenomenon (menopot) all day,I finally stumbled across a site, that answered all my questions. Which was a relief, because I was running into things like, cardio will make you gain weight! What? Anyhow, in the more comprehensive site, it recommended cardio, strength and core exercises. For diet, fruits, veggies, dairy, whole grains. some monosaturated fat, and polyunsaturated fat and Red Wine. Alcohol is ok as long as it is in moderation, and Red Wine is preferred. I would agree that if you are consuming half your daily caloric allowance in wine, that it is probably too much. Anyhow here is the link if you are interested. http://www.menopot.org/menopot-diet.html
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    You aren't a special snowflake, sorry. Calories in a deficit = weight loss. I can go run 6 miles, lose 5 pounds of water, and the next day be at the same weight. So REVIEW: Log and weigh food, make sure if you want weight loss to eat below your daily total. Next caller....
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I drank 6 bottles of wine in one go, I didn't lose any weight but I lost 2 days :laugh:
  • IIIIISerenityNowIIIII
    IIIIISerenityNowIIIII Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    25 oz of wine is five servings. So, you are drinking that much? If so, please seek help because that is addictive behavior and is very dangerous and unhealthy.

I drink 5 oz of wine before bed most nights. Any more than that is just unnecessary.

one serving of wine is about 110 calories. If you are drinking 5 times that, that means 550 calories per day are from alcohol. That is not good.
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a glass or more often two of wine every day. Since I've started with MFP and I've been planning my calorie intake more consciously (that is focussing on getting the most bang for my buck calorie-wise) I have found that by limiting my wine to only a couple of times a week....and usually keeping it to one 8oz serving....I am more successful losing weight.

I don't think it's anything special about the calorie source. Calories are calories....but now I class the wine as a treat like chocolate and I don't make room for it everyday like I once did (when I was absolutely exceeding the number of calories I should be eating) After all that's how I ended up gaining the extra pounds over the years.

The other thing about wine for me is when I'm drinking wine is also when I'm most likely to give in to temptation and eat that extra cheese or chocolate or whatever goodies are around.

So now on my non-wine evenings I enjoy tea (for a tannin hit) or sparkling water and I've come to enjoy those evenings just fine. One nice side-effect I've noticed is that I feel more hydrated the next morning.....something I didn't really notice before.

I've been on MFP for a month and I've lost five and half pounds without feeling deprived.

+1

I limit my alcohol intake because I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. I also enjoy wine so much more now because I'm more inclined it savour it. I limit wine to probably once a week now, if that, and with food. Make sure you log it!
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of red most nights with a meal. Weight drops off just fine.

If it goes in your mouth you log it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The bottom line: A calorie truly is a calorie, despite what people say. It really doesn't matter what you consume, just as long as you take in less than you burn. This is referred to as calorie counting, If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM), etc. It's what Myfitnesspal is based on. So just put all of your data in correctly, have whatever you like, put in your exercise, and let the app guide you to your goals!

You...I like you...

Yes, if you aren't losing weight, you are not in a deficit. If you aren't gaining weight, you are in maintenance. If you are gaining a surplus.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR the link above this then ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Honestly log the wine. See what your net calories are. Learn your TDEE/BMR. and go from there.
    It's a lot of liquid calories. I love wine, but I'd worry I wasn't fueling my body well if I was simultaneously working out, dieting, AND having 500 calories of wine. It doesn't leave a lot for real food.

If you feel like you know how to eat right, I'd suggest you start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

everyone approaches this differently, so tweak this to fit your life. Best of luck.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Honestly log the wine. See what your net calories are. Learn your TDEE/BMR. and go from there.
    It's a lot of liquid calories. I love wine, but I'd worry I wasn't fueling my body well if I was simultaneously working out, dieting, AND having 500 calories of wine. It doesn't leave a lot for real food.

If you feel like you know how to eat right, I'd suggest you start here:

everyone approaches this differently, so tweak this to fit your life. Best of luck.

This.

And This:
    Open your diary.
  • Lynbarb97
    Lynbarb97 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses so far. I just started MFP today so I don't have much in my dairy. I will open it though, regardless. I have decided to cut out wine/alcohol almost completely for at least the next month and possibly beyond. First off, I am drinking way too much. Obviously. Secondly, the comment someone made about not fueling my body properly with healthy food because I consume so many calories with wine made a lot of sense. Finally, cutting out 2500-3100 calories a week has got to have some sort of positive effect on my weight loss. I am willing to do whatever it takes. Thanks for the links to the articles. Off to do some reading...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Heh. So how are you frustrated when you just started? :smile:

While I'm a bit concerned about going cold turkey with something you obviously like, I think the plan looks great. But no matter what happens you may want to just relax and log consistently for a few weeks. People try to couple logging and "being good" and this could easily lead to frustration and low compliance with calorie counting. Treat this as gathering your baseline. Ask questions if anything seems difficult. When you've done for a few weeks and are comfortable with logging, you can focus (more) on making tweaks
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    welcome to mfp

the key to calorie counting is understanding that weight loss if about creating a healthy deficit - ideally the smallest deficit at which we sustain weight loss
    exercise can contribute to weight loss by contributing to the deficit my increasing the calories burned, but you cannot out exercise a bad diet

if you are eating more calories than you burn then you will not lose weight

alcohol is a source of calories that the body does not need, but as long as they are consumed at moderation they are unlikely to cause harm, if the wine consumption wipes out your deficit however you will not lose weight

cutting down on wine may help, but going cold turkey can have it's own side effects that may cause a binge/cut cycle

as you've just joined mfp, I would instead suggest that for a couple of weeks you don't change your diet, instead you log, it, all of it, accurately, including the wine, then you will be in a better position to make informed decisions
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/asciiqwerty/view/logging-accurately-your-diary-might-be-telling-tales-on-you-652838
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270280-food-weighing-scale-miracles
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/asciiqwerty/view/general-ignorance-and-weight-loss-655283