sodium and water HELP!

Options
I am worried as I have swollen ankles and shins. my abdomen has also enlarged and made me look fat. I have put about 3 kg on in weight in the last week which I don't understand. My stomach and shin leave an indent when pressed for about 30 seconds after I take my hand away

I have tried reducing salt intake for a day or two and nothing worked, tried drinking more water to flush sodium out and that didnt work, then i considered that maybe i was drinking too much as I can drink up to about 5 litres a day.

It seems as if one day I had a flat stomach and the next day I had a belly.

I am 18, 6 ft and about 170 pounds now.

Replies

• Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. There are a lot of reasons for fluid retention like that, some of which are serious. It's probably better not to take the chance.
  • brittanyadore
    brittanyadore Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sudden/unexplained weight gain and swelling are serious symptoms, please see a doctor!
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's called pitting edema. There are non-serious as well as serious causes for it. Pregnancy, kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, medications, allergic reactions, blood clots, leg/foot injuries. You should definitely make an appointment with your doctor asap.

Edit: Aaaand you're a boy. Forget the pregnancy cause.
  • danielwillis22
    Options
    It happened before and somehow it went away, i cant remember if i lowered sodium intake, or upped or lowered my water intake but nothing seems to be working this time, im pretty worried and it annoying me. Last night I felt a kind of throbbing in the inside of my thighs where i have veins sticking out slightly. my veins are very visibly when the house is warm and it looks like i may have varicose veins. Could this at all be related?

If my ankles swell up again tonight then i will go to the doctor to get it checked out.

I am also going to start dieting to see if it could possibly be fat gain but ive heard that gaining even a kg in a week is pretty dificult, never mind 3.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Don't base your decision to see a doctor on, "If it happens again tonight." Go see one right away.