Quitting Smoking

Options
2»

Replies

• miissalexandria
    miissalexandria Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I started using an e-cig a month ago. It's going really well. No weight gain and every time I buy e-juice I get the next level down of nicotine so I can wean myself off.

My husband is doing the same thing. He's finally down to 1mg. Hopefully he will be done very soon. I've smoked off and on since I was in 8th grade(that's what (can) happens when both your parents smoke I guess) - And I've always just been able to quit but not the same for him. I didn't care much for the E-Cigarettes.

Good luck to you! And stay motivated to quit! It is such a great decision!
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 8 weeks ago after numerous attempts over the past 20+ years. Last summer I quit for 7 weeks (but there was quite a bit of slippage) and my binge eating got out of control and I gained 25-30 lbs. I resumed the smoking because I couldn't handle the weight gain or constant daily binges.

This time around I got my eating under control for the most part before I quit. I tried a trial of Weight Watchers which is a little more lenient in logging food as far as counting calories. I found a medically supervised university study for smoking cessation that I could participate in. They provide my medications and patches and in return I go for visits every so often and submit to saliva nicotine samples, exhaled CO testing and fill out questionnaires about my cravings and such. I feel this made me more accountable because I knew if I slipped and lied it would show up on my test results. I gave myself a week to adjust then started logging everything I ate except for freebie days every so often.

I gained around 8lbs this time, but I quickly lost that when I really got serious with the logging and started a running program. Also in the beginning I was very bloated, had water retention and severe constipation for the first 4-6 weeks. After that started to subside, I felt much better and my clothes fit better. Sometimes it felt like I had gained 20 lbs because of the bloating, BUT THIS DOES GO AWAY!! Do not that scare you away from quitting.

Find something to keep your hands and mouth busy. I worked yarn crafts (knitting and crochet) until I had a knot in my hand. I have chewed my weight in gum and have drank enough water to fill a large lake. Find a hobby that really interest you and learn all you can about it. It is all about distraction and diversion when those cravings hit.

I am much happier now that I have quit. I didn't realize that I wasn't as happy as I could be until after I quit. I have more energy. I want to live a healthier life and do all that I can to get that. I still eat junk and not so great things. I have a sweet every day. It keeps me sane lol. Some days I go over. I am not going to beat myself up over unless it gets out of hand, then we have a problem.

I am now on the lowest dose patch and I am scheduled to come off those and the medication in 2 weeks. If worse comes to worse after I finish the study, I will go buy patches before I buy another cigarette. This time has been much easier, but I can't say it has been a walk in the park. I have had my bad days where I could have eaten a cigarette. Then I have had days I didn't think about it at all. I have had days I forgot to put on my patch and been okay and days where I had to wear two just to get through the day. I seldom think about smoking now, I think about being smoke free more. Sometimes I feel a little lost, kind of like I forgot something. My tech at the uni says this is just another withdrawal thing and that I haven't completely learned how to replace the smokes. But I swear I think at times it just makes me feel scattered brained.

Good luck to you. Trust me, you will be a whole lot happier being a nonsmoker even if those first few weeks/months are a little rough.
  • ginnybrock
    ginnybrock Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've just quit (actually I quit in march, took it up again in april and quit again two days ago, so I'm no expert but I'm definitely on the wagon) :s
    I WAS worried about gaining weight, but I read somewhere (can't remember where, sorry, there was a lot of frantic googling leading up to the quit date) that smoking actually hinders your body's ability to gain muscle, so by quitting and working out, you might gain some weight, but the kind we like, juicy muscles! But then there's the other side, where we might be replacing cigarettes with a chocolate bar which, like cigarettes (for us smokers, anyhow), triggers those bits in our brain that make us feel pleasure and reward..we just need to change those things that give us pleasure and reward ourselves in different healthier ways.
    Im not fussed about the weight gain thing anymore, much better in the long run to quit, keep exercising and eating well..We'll be able to exercise better and harder and that's gonna keep the weight in check. I think that if we keep saying no to ciggies, we could do nearly anything, because quitting is TOUGH!
  • Khatastrophic
    Khatastrophic Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on quitting the next week, so far I've bought an ecig and am weening down from almost a pack a day..
    Whenever I think about whether or not I'll gain weight, I try to remind myself that I'll be able to do cardio so much easier without a bunch of junk of in my lungs :smile: I'm planning on putting together little bags of veggies to snack on while I'm driving since that's mainly where I light up.. It'll be tough but we can do this!!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about a year ago (had one slip on my birthday in September, but that was it). I had already gotten fat by the time I decided to quit, so quitting didn't make much of a difference in my weight. I replaced the cigarettes with nicotine gum, and got addicted to that instead, which isn't exactly a good thing but definitely better than smoking. I started with about six 4 mg pieces a day, but now I'm down to one 4 mg piece a day, and hope to be completely rid of them in a couple more months. If you do decide to take up nic gum, I advise you to quit that within 3 months or you might end up addicted to those too.
    Good luck! :drinker:
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I quit in October using an e-cig and didn't gain any weight.

Me too! E-cigs are the way forward. I get some yummy flavours too like cherry and cola, they somehow satisfy sugar cravings... 2 birds with 1 stone :)
  • swheart4981
    swheart4981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have tried to quit, and failed MANY TIMES until I got a vape! I personally DO NOT like E-cigs (the kind you buy at gas stations. with cartomizers) I have tried to weening myself off smoking with it, and that is not as easy as spending the money for a vape and not giving yourself any other options. If you crave a cig, VAPE, and it will go away!!! I am LOSING WEIGHT NOT GAINING!!!