is this my BMR or am I crazy?

Options
I'm not sure if this is posted somewhere else or not, sorry if it is.
I wore my hear rate monitor while had a nap for 2 hours,, the number on my monitor said 184 calories burned , IIf I take that 2 hours and times it by 12 (to get 24) I burn 2208 calories just to sleeping. IF this is right wouldn't that mean a better number for me to be eating to lose would be closer to 1708 calories a day. Taking 500 off of the base number?

Is my math all wrong (it could totally be since I'm not sure what i'm doing)

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If I remember right, you burn more calories sleeping than when you're awake and just sitting around.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors don't work like that. They are designed for steady-state cardio workouts.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors don't work like that. They are designed for steady-state cardio workouts.

^^^^word
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I agree.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    That is probably not your BMR. You can use several online calculators and average your answers to figure out what is your BMR. There are actual tests that you can have done to determine it. Mine was done when I was 20 and was 800 calories/day. I had an ED, but I wasn't ready to face it yet. Knowing that number from my physiology class made it possible for me to eat 1400 calories/day and exercise for 900 between dance class, the weight room and walking around campus and make myself very sick. When I was 22, I weighed 138 lbs, had less than 8% body fat and my BMR was still 800.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure hr monitors work correctly when you are sleeping
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

QFT
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,211 Member
    Options
    No it is not. HRMs are only, and I emphasize ONLY, for steady state cardio. The calculations they use to estimate calories are incorrect for resting Heart rates. So that calorie number in meaningless.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes HRMs don't work like that. They only work for calorie burn when your HR is above a certain threshold - when you're actually working out.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

This. Heart rate monitors are designed to be accurate in the aerobic range not sedentary range they will be wildly off then. Your BMR is going to be closer to 1400 than 2200. Now I don't know your size and without knowing your size I'm not saying that it IS 1400, just that its lower than 2200 by a good amount. Online calculators in this regard are going to be more accurate than anything you can measure.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    No, you don't.
  • Shrinkmeslowly
    Shrinkmeslowly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't know what QFT means, but I have a feeling it might be rude.
    I stand corrected.

thanks for clearing this up.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't know what QFT means, but I have a feeling it might be rude.
    I stand corrected.

thanks for clearing this up.

QFT = Quoted for Truth. It just means "I agree".
  • Shrinkmeslowly
    Shrinkmeslowly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    okay, thank-you\
    I don't spend much times on forums and don't know the slang :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,646 Member
    Options
    You can get an approximate BMR by plugging in your height, weight, age and gender onto most calculators online. They'll be a +/- 80 calorie difference for most.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition