Advanced Pilates......SERIOUSLY?!

Options
Ok.......so this may become more of a venting session but I really do want your opinions!

As many of you know, I had a tumor removed from my foot 6 weeks ago and unfortunately because of "prediabetes" I am now dealing with slow wound healing.

I took nearly 3 weeks off from officially working out with my trainer.......per Dr's orders. I sware I am not a lazy person!!!!! It wasnt my choice!

So, I went back to training and have started using my resistance again at a lower resistance. I really (honest to goodness) am trying as hard as I can!!!!!

Ok.....so here is the meat of the story! I went for my training session on Thursday and mt PT had me doing new things???? What she called some advanced pilates moves.

One of the exercises was to work my core. It was basically a V sit with my heels touching and my toes pointed outward (This apparently gets rid of that upper thigh jiggle) I do what I am asked to do but holy-moly I really struggled so much so that I was on the verge of vomiting. My PT that I love said to me "This is your wake up call, You need to get back on track. You have lost so much core strength!" I wanted to cry!!!!

We then did this new exercise... its like a modified pistol???? I sat on a short box and stood up on one foot with the other foot straightened in front of me.....again...I did it but ended up falling when I tried while standing on my effected foot.

We also did tricep push ups.......just when I get the normal bicep's down pat! Grrrr!

I left there feeling like a total fat failure! I have never felt this low! I usually leave feeling exhausted but proud and have a bit of soreness a day or 2 later.

I am so incredibly sore that I had a real tear yesterday morning from sitting down to pee! :sad: I am sore, like miserable sore from head to toe! I train again tomorrow and I am honestly scared!!!!!

So here is where YOU can help! Tell me.....am I being a big pansy baby? Or is she really pushing too hard?

If you think I am a big wussy girl......please tell me what I can do to increase strength FAST!

If you think She is being a bit harsh.....please tell me what I should do or say!

Would it be rude to ask her to not add new stuff until my foot is healed and I am in less pain? I dont want her or anyone else to think I am making excuses! Those days are LONG gone!

*****I WILL NOT QUIT, EVER****

Replies

• amysgottadothisthang
    amysgottadothisthang Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    sorry, I meant elliptical at lower resistance!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    So here is where YOU can help! Tell me.....am I being a big pansy baby? Or is she really pushing too hard?

If you think I am a big wussy girl......please tell me what I can do to increase strength FAST!

If you think She is being a bit harsh.....please tell me what I should do or say!

Would it be rude to ask her to not add new stuff until my foot is healed and I am in less pain? I dont want her or anyone else to think I am making excuses! Those days are LONG gone!

Not rude at all. You just went through what I would call a major medical procedure; if anything, she's rude for saying that you "need to get back on track". Well, you do, but not at a rate that SHE pre-determines. You're paying HER - she needs to back off and ease up on the "new position" stuff until you're able to handle it.

I wouldn't hesitate in telling her so. Actually, I don't think I'd be as nice about it, either.

ETA: You're pre-diabetic, as well. That means that you need to TAKE IT EASY after something like a foot surgery - as you probably know, diabetics are very prone to infections and such on the feet. That's all you need is to work your feet to the point where you rupture something - uh, no.

Definitely tell her to back off.
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi, I train clients everyday and it is my job to push them and push them hard. But equally I have a responsibility to make sure I am not pushing too hard!

Working out after a few weeks off is always going to be a challenge BUT if there's physical pain, then you need to speak up.

I suppose the way to deal with this really depends on what sort of person she is. But I do think you need to say something specially if you are recovering from an injury!

I tell all my clients that at the end of the day we are a team and need to work together to get them to their goals and if something isn't working, I need to know so we can assess what's going on and why things aren't working whether that be nutrition exercise or how we work together.

Please say something you should never feel like you described!
  • anneboleynr
    anneboleynr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're being a big baby. You had surgery and the wound is slow healing so I think you need to be careful with it. I have a trainer too and she pushes me but when I have injuries (I have shoulder issues that occasionally act up and I sprained an ankle a couple of years ago but it sometimes gets achy), she modifies for me. I still get a great workout but not to where I am pain to complete it. If it were me, I'd talk to the trainer about easing back into things and then building up as you continue to heal.
  • Point202
    Point202 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Definitely have a conversation with her. It is your body, she isn't aware of what you're feeling. Maybe inquire if there are some lower impact, or less challenging core exercises you can work on, if she's wanting you to work on core. It might be that she's focusing there because she thinks it is allowing your foot to rest? Regardless, your personal trainer should push you of course, but it needs to be in a range that your body is capable of handling right now, especially because you are healing.
  • amysgottadothisthang
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful advise :flowerforyou:
  • amysgottadothisthang
    Options
    bump?