Increasing lung capacity--runners help!

Options
So I am a slow, slow runner. I follow the Galloway run/walk method. I run 1 minute, walk 1 minute for my training runs. I finished my first half-marathon in March, I train on hills weekly, and I run about 10-15 miles per week. I have improved dramatically in the last year, but I am still slow. My flat run mile time is about 11:30. My average pace on weekly runs is 13:30-14:30/ mile. As I continue toward a healthy weight, I know all these things will improve, however I'm wondering the best way to increase my cardiovascular/lung capacity.

My max heart rate is about 188, and I usually do my weekly runs at an average of 168-174.(I use a heart rate monitor). This seems high to me, and I'm usually breathing very hard even though my pace is so slow. My legs feel great, but my lungs can't seem to keep up.

Should I just continue to plug along and wait for improvements as I continue to lose more weight? (I'm 5'10 and weigh 218.) or should I try to incorporate sprints or try a C25k program so that I can run a 5k straight through without stopping? I love running with my group and I don't necessarily want to start running straight through without intervals, I just want to be able to go a little faster on my run intervals without huffing and puffing.

I hope this all makes sense! Thanks In advance for any suggestions.

Rachel

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Keep running and even slowdown a bit until your cardiovascular system catches up. New runners rarely run slow enough (myself included).
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I follow a variation of the Galloway method. I started out jogging/shuffling 5 minutes, then walking 5 minutes, and did intervals of that until I was on my feet for 30 minutes. The next week I did 6 minutes jogging, 4 minutes walking, then the following week 7 minutes, 3 minutes walking, and so on. I'm up to 23 minutes jogging [only took about 3 weeks, 3-4 times a week. Actually went up a minute each time I went out] and I just started working on my speed. Since I run on the sidewalks I do sprints every so often, usually once every 10 telephone poles. Next week I'll do once every 9 poles, then 8, and so on. My suggestion is to do what I did, work your way up to about 20 minutes or so then start with sprinting intervals.
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Check out this article about running and doing heart rate training.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/heart-rate-training-is-it-right-for-you

My max HR is something like 204. If I'm running by heart rate, I would aiming for about 160. I think you are going too fast if your training HR is so close to your max. Try slowing down but maybe shoot for a slightly longer run.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there! How about spicing up your training with an occasional brisk power walk. And I mean really brisk..long, powerful strides. Your glutes will thank you, too. Aim for a speed of about 4.5 mph or better. I have done this for 1 hr straight, no breaks. It's easier on the joints than running, and if you put in some good arm action, it really opens up your lungs. Your average heart rate will stay much lower because you'll be at a steady pace. Burns a ton of calories, too...
    Good luck!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I'd look into high intensity interval training (HIIT), since you've been running more than a year. Try Tabata intervals (a web search will lead you to several sites that explain them). They are quite unpleasant but very effective in increasing aerobic capacity, at least until you hit your physiological limit.

By the way, how did you figure out your maximum heart rate? If you used a formula, it might be inaccurate. According to the old 220-age formula, my maximum HR should be 174. In fact, the last time I measured it with a stress test (a few years ago), it was 192. I routinely get over 174 in runs, and occasionally on bike rides too.
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't use a formula for my max, that's just the highest observed hr with extremely intense exercise (running steps up the side of a cliff in our local park..."Jacob's ladder" is famous for kicking people's butts. It sure kicked mine!). At 188, I literally felt like I was going to die, so I called that my max. :-)

I suppose I should slow everything down. Is it possible to go slower than I have been?!? I guess I'll just have to try.

Thanks!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Definitely recommend HIIT or some form of interval training
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    How about try spicing it up with a cardio class once a week? Like Step Aerobics. It's good interval training and a lot of fun. Personally I saw my runs get better by doing interval training (30 - 45 seconds sprint with 1 - 1.5 minute jog for 20 minutes) and Step Aerobics. I used to run a mile and a half at 1515 18 months ago. 2 weeks ago I ran it at 1245.

BUT - I'll also say that there is nothing wrong with being a slow runner unless there is just a personal goal you're trying to achieve. You're already monitoring your HR. And I don't agree that you're HR is too high. I'm 42 and my resting HR is 70. When I run my HR gets 170 and higher on hills and I feel fine running at that HR.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    The general consensus of the best way for new runners (a year is still new) to improve their running is just to get the miles in. Your times and CV fitness will naturally fall and get better as you lose weight and get fitter. This will make bigger improvements than intervals or HIIT to running at this stage. Also try not to get too obsessed over your heart rate. Some days leave it at home and just run that way you will learn how your body feels rather than concentrating on the numbers
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The general consensus of the best way for new runners (a year is still new) to improve their running is just to get the miles in. Your times and CV fitness will naturally fall and get better as you lose weight and get fitter. This will make bigger improvements than intervals or HIIT to running at this stage. Also try not to get too obsessed over your heart rate. Some days leave it at home and just run that way you will learn how your body feels rather than concentrating on the numbers

Agreed. That's what worked for me
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Former asthma sufferer here. I used to use my inhaler quite frequently and was convinced that I just would never be able to run. I could run 30 seconds MAX. I wanted to lose weight so about 3 or 4 years ago I bought a stationary bike. I had no idea how that thing would change my life! When I first started using it, I would need to stop after 10 minutes. Mostly because of my lungs. Over the course of a year I built up to an hour without breaks. That is when my asthma was really improving.

I had been pretty consistently putting in a hour to an hour and a half daily on the bike, when I decided to give running another shot last fall. I ran the absolute slowest I could, just slightly faster than a walk. To my amazement, I could run! I worked on my miles rather than pace on the recommendations of several MFPers. This has worked for me and my pace has naturally improved.

I haven't used an inhaler in about 2 years and am currently training for a Marathon that takes place in September. My longest I can run now without a walk break is 14 miles, and that blows my mind.

Also, are you sure it's your lungs that are holding you up? I was so used to battling the breathing battle for so long, that I neglected properly fueling my runs. Looking back, my runs were harder than they needed to be, because when I started properly fueling it was like jet propulsion :laugh:

Good luck and keep plugging away. If running fast were easy, more people would be doing it :flowerforyou:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I am a slow, slow runner. I follow the Galloway run/walk method. I run 1 minute, walk 1 minute for my training runs....

... however I'm wondering the best way to increase my cardiovascular/lung capacity.

Notwithstanding your use of Galloway, the most immediate thing that'll lead to a performance improvement is increasing the amount of time that you're actually running, rather than easing back to a walk. The other tools to improve; tempo sessions and intervals need you to have built a more solid aerobic base.
    My max heart rate is about 188, and I usually do my weekly runs at an average of 168-174.(I use a heart rate monitor). This seems high to me, and I'm usually breathing very hard even though my pace is so slow.

I wouldn't worry too much about HR, although at the very least you could work out your theorietical maximum (220-age), although I'd treat it with a large pinch of salt. My theoretical max is 176bpm, last night I was at 175 for most of a tempo session and hit 185 in my last kilometre. On an intervals session, working at maximum intensity I'll get up to 195. My recovery pace runs are usually about 150-10bpm.
    ...or should I try to incorporate sprints or try a C25k program so that I can run a 5k straight through without stopping?

As you've already completed a half marathon distance I'd suggest going onto a C210K plan, that'll take you about 6 weeks and will take you to running continuously for about 60 minutes. From there you can start to build in tempo and interval (HIIT) sessions. Up until that point you really won't get much in the way of gains from the idea of doing HIIT.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    The only thing that made my running easier was running more miles. I am impressed that you completed a half marathon at 15 miles a week max. I just did one and due to the time of year my training had lagged and my training weeks fell within your weekly mileage and it kinda sucked compared to halves that I have run with weekly mileage closer to 25-30 miles a week.

More miles = easier running and less huffing and puffing.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I found cardio to help with my endurance. 20 min per session 3 x per week at 85% MHR on the stationary bike (and some hour long brisk walks) got me able to do one full minute of jumping jacks or butt kicks. At that point I knew I was going to have the lungs for running. I've now breezed through the first week and a half of C25K, where as just a month or 2 ago I would have been gasping for air before the minute intervals were up.
  • parisallez
    parisallez Posts: 30
    Options
    I've done a lot of running and sprinting over the years. for me, sprinting whether it be in a pool, on an exercise bike, or elliptical machine is how you increase your body's oxygen processing capabitlity.
    start with this for instance: 2-3 x a week, do an all out sprint on an exercise bike 5 times for 30 seconds on tough resistance. so 30 seconds strong, then 30 seconds rest. repeat 4 more times. you'll make great progress.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    The only way I got faster was by running more and losing weight, but not from intentionally pushing my HR more...

My max HR is 187 (similar height/weight as well), and I keep my training runs closer to 140-155, but despite never doing longer training runs above a 145 HR, and any faster than a 12 minute mile, i didn't have any trouble running a marathon at a 163 HR avg/sub-11 minute pace.

It'll come.

Often when I'd wonder if things were getting better, I relogged into my GPS log (garmin connect), looked at how my fitness improved (i.e. either I could run the same distance at a lower heart rate, or could run further at my same pace and heart rate), and that sense of satisfaction was enough to keep me going. As long as I continued to lose weight, and increase my mileage, that trend slowly, steadily, and reliably continued. It just took about 500 miles of training in 4 months along with 30lb of weight loss to see a 1.5 minute/mile improvement for the same level of HR exertion.

You'll get there.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Miles. Run more of them.

That's all there is to it.

As for HR/pace: you should be running at a pace where you can hold a conversation with someone. If you can't, your going too fast.