Burning 700 calories a day, eating 1,200?

Options
How quickly should I be able to lose 40 pounds? I'm...
Female
5'7
166 pounds

Thank you :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    40 weeks at 1lb a week.

And don't NET 500 calories a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You will lose one pound for every 3500 calories you are in deficit, however 2lbs per week is the recommended max unless you are obese, which you are not. I'm not sure how old you are but for a 30 year old your size your bmr would be 1500 calories. That would put you at a deficit of 1000 calories per day which would mean you should lose 2lbs per week. 40lbs in 20 weeks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    You will lose one pound for every 3500 calories you are in deficit, however 2lbs per week is the recommended max unless you are obese, which you are not. I'm not sure how old you are but for a 30 year old your size your bmr would be 1500 calories. That would put you at a deficit of 1000 calories per day which would mean you should lose 2lbs per week. 40lbs in 20 weeks.
    2lbs a week for someone under 180lbs is tough to do on a weekly basis. The recommended loss should be about 1% of body weight a week to have a reasonable weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • meghanevansaz
    Options
    Thank you all so much :) I am 21 years old, by the way. I forgot to put that in the post. This is pretty encouraging!
  • meghanevansaz
    Options
    Nope. Not for any men.... I'm losing weight for dance. I took a break for a year, due to hip problems and gained a bunch of weight. I'd like to start back up late this year.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just doing the math for her. It's probably a little too much too fast for her but we're all different. Her body will let her know and she can adjust if she feels she needs to.
  • meghanevansaz
    Options
    I won't listen to the 500 cal person. I know that is WAY too little. I'm also being treated for anemia, but not for an eating disorder. I'm vegan, and wasn't getting proper nutrients. :( I'm hoping to reach my goal by September or October. Thanks everyone for the help and tips :)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Some of the content in this thread :indifferent: .
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Female
    5'7
    166 pounds

Well, I bet you can't do that for more than three weeks before you crash and burn massively. Also, you're only 166lb to start with so you are only able to lose about 1/2 - 1/4lb of actual fat a week.

therefore the deficit would be made up of muscle and energy expensive organs.

So... My guess is you'd lose maybe 3kg, before crashing, burning and stacking the lot back on again.

Is that what you want to do? If not, eat 1700 cals a day and be a bit more realistic about the exercise. :)
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I won't listen to the 500 cal person. I know that is WAY too little. I'm also being treated for anemia, but not for an eating disorder. I'm vegan, and wasn't getting proper nutrients. :( I'm hoping to reach my goal by September or October. Thanks everyone for the help and tips :)

I'm glad you're not listening to that advice, but according to your topic title, which indicates you are netting only 500 calories, you are still eating dangerously little.

My best advice is to let go of the deadline you have set for losing weight. Just eat at a moderate deficit while getting in some exercise (including resistance training). You will be able to see great improvements to your body by September/October without yet reaching that scale number you have in mind. It may take longer than you'd like, but you'll be a happier and healthier person.
  • communistwit
    Options
    While weightloss is all about calorie deficit, you may lose more weight or less weight depending on how heavy you are, your muscle mass growth (which would increase weight), and genetics. Some people simply burn food faster than the rest of us. I burn 200 calories a day on a 500 calorie diet and it has taken me a little over 6 months to lose 30 lbs. So you can assume yours will be a little longer than mine as I net 200 calories less than you.

It all depends.

I mean this in the nicest possible way... please do not give out advice in this forum. Your eating patterns scream pro-ana and can be very dangerous for some people to read, especially those in recovery from an eating disorder or in danger of developing one.

If you have seriously only been netting 300 calories a day for the past six months, you need help. What you are doing can cause major damage to your body.

Not at all pro-ana. I find the websites sick and the support of starvation disgusting with how they sound like cheerleaders. I have netted more, for a time I netted 1100 but somewhere along the way they just kind of fell. I have lost most of my weight since I dropped to 500-600 calories a day, but I would never recommend this for anyone as I do realize this is extremely low and does mirror an eating disorder. I was simply talking about the deficits and how it all depends on various factors at what rate people burn calories and lose weight. Before I would lose maybe a pound every two weeks eating 1300 calories, even though that is already a rather steep deficit. Other people on the forum have lost most of their weight at a great speed of 2-3 pounds at that same deficit.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    While weightloss is all about calorie deficit, you may lose more weight or less weight depending on how heavy you are, your muscle mass growth (which would increase weight), and genetics. Some people simply burn food faster than the rest of us. I burn 200 calories a day on a 500 calorie diet and it has taken me a little over 6 months to lose 30 lbs. So you can assume yours will be a little longer than mine as I net 200 calories less than you.

It all depends.

I mean this in the nicest possible way... please do not give out advice in this forum. Your eating patterns scream pro-ana and can be very dangerous for some people to read, especially those in recovery from an eating disorder or in danger of developing one.

If you have seriously only been netting 300 calories a day for the past six months, you need help. What you are doing can cause major damage to your body.

I think she missed a '1'. "1500 cals a day" would cause you to lose 30lb over six months.

that or she's lying. I suspect some of these people of auto wiping their brains when they have a 3000 calorie binge... before going back to their 1 day a week of 500 cals. In short, I think they're totally deranged about the facts.

I agree that she's probably "auto wiping her brain" as you say and not accounting for binge days, otherwise she would probably be hospitalized from eating that little for so long. But I don't think she meant to say 1500 judging from her initial post and follow up post.
  • communistwit
    Options

I agree that she's probably "auto wiping her brain" as you say and not accounting for binge days, otherwise she would probably be hospitalized from eating that little for so long. But I don't think she meant to say 1500 judging from her initial post and follow up post.

I have documented binge days and remember them. I have one day of eating 2500 calories,
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am your height. I currently weight 121 lbs.

I lose weight consistently at around 0.5-1lb a week on 1500-1600 calories per day. I maintain my weight on around 2000 - 2100 calories. These figures are with eating every single ever loving exercise calorie back. So it is my net.

I would be SERIOUSLY chewing the arms off the sofa on 1200 cals and exercising a chunk off that and not eating my exercise cals back.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I have documented binge days and remember them. I have one day of eating 2500 calories,

That's a healthy number of calories for a lot women to be consuming. It only seems like a binge because you're eating 400 calories.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :noway: sounds unhealthy. careful
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Jesus, how do you manage to only eat 1200 and exercise 700!! that's crazy. I'm eating around 1500 and i feel hungry a lot of the day
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

That's not a binge. That's a normal pigout.

You're an anorexic in denial and you need therapy.
  • CyndiLoo71
    CyndiLoo71 Posts: 1
    Options
    Congratulations!!
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Female
    5'7
    166 pounds

I am the same height as you, 161 will put you in the healthy bmi range, and another 40 will take you in the 9 stone range which for our height would be borderline underweight. With that out of the way because you at a healthy weight you should be looking to lose no more than 1lbs at most, even that as you get further in is too aggressive.

Someone our height should be no way eating 1200 and burning 700, I know im male but im slightly older and I lose eating 2000+ calories.

Don't look for the quick fix there isn't one, if you needed to lose X number of pounds should have started ealier.