My Weight Lifting Routine.. Thoughts?

Options
I have completed a few weight training programs in the past- and have decided to try to come up with my own program. I would love some opinions on what I have set up for myself.. because while it may look good to me, I also could be missing something.. so please give me your opinions!!
I plan to lift 4x a week, and will do doing some light cardio before I lift for about 20 minutes.. that will rotate between running, stepper, spinning, row machine.. Then 2x a week I will be attending a Hot Yoga class.

DAY 1- LEGS/GLUTES/ABS
BARBELL SQUATS 3 X 6-8
STIFF LEGGED DEAD LIFT 3 X 6-8
LEG EXTENSIONS 3 X 6-8
LYING LEG CURLS 3 X 6-8
STANDING CALF RAISES 3 X 6-8
SINGLE LEG GLUTE BRIDGE 2 X 20
EXERCISE BALL CRUNCH 3 X 50
RUSSIAN TWISTS 3 X 50
PLANK 3 X 60sec

DAY 2- CHEST/TRI’S/SHOULDERS
BENCH PRESS 3 X 6-8
DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS 3 X 6-8
SKULL CRUSHERS 3 X 6-8
TRICEP DIPS 3 X 15
TRICEP PUSHDOWN 3 X 6-8
SHOULDER SHRUGS 3 X 15
PUSH UPS 3 X 15
PLANK 3 X 60sec

DAY 3- LEGS
SQUATS 3 X 6-8
DEAD LIFTS 3 X 6-8
LEG PRESS 3 X 6-8
DUMBBELL LUNGES 3 X 6-8
SEATED CALF RAISES 3 X 6-8
SINGLE LEG GLUTE BRIDGE 2 X 20
EXERCISE BALL CRUNCH 3 X 50
RUSSIAN TWISTS 3 X 50
LYING LEG RAISES 3 X 20

DAY 4- BACK/BI’S
LATERAL RAISES 3 X 6-8
BICEP CURLS 3 X 6-8
BENT OVER ROW 3 X 6-8
ALTERNATE HAMMER CURL 3 X 6-8
LAT PULLDOWN 3 X 6-8
HYPER-EXTENSIONS 3 X 20
PUSH UPS 3 X 15
RUSSIAN TWISTS 3 X 50

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why come 3 triceps and only one chest (I'm not counting push-ups)? Seems backwards.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've been told to avoid bench and shoulder presses on the same day because of the wear and tear it can cause on the rotator cuff.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention, what would you suggest for a chest exercise that I could add? I was counting the push ups as the additional chest exercise, but that still kind of leaves it lopsided.
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's okay I guess. I just go into the gym and do whatever I want and I end up staying for a few hours, and that's been working for me performance and weight-loss wise. Do this 5-6 days a week and it's always fun. I think restricting your workout to a certain plan can make exercising boring and feel like a chore, imho. My advice: if it works for you, do it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Drop one of the triceps exercise for a db incline bench or incline barbell bench.

Or dips.
  • ShiraDarling
    Options
    It's okay I guess. I just go into the gym and do whatever I want and I end up staying for a few hours, and that's been working for me performance and weight-loss wise. Do this 5-6 days a week and it's always fun. I think restricting your workout to a certain plan can make exercising boring and feel like a chore, imho. My advice: if it works for you, do it.

Thanks for your input. I like to have a plan to follow at the gym- over the years this is what has worked best for me. I find when I don't follow a routine I end up not seeing the same kind of results because my training is all over the place.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    For some of the exercises (like push ups, planks, crunches, and dips) - I can see doing 2 of your 3 sets with a specific amount of reps to warm up, but why not make the 3rd set AMRAP (as many reps as possible)? That way you continue to push yourself...unless of course you are planning on adding weight to these, then I'd keep the set and reps the same.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Looks like a program for an advanced lifter... are you squatting over 225 already?
  • ShiraDarling
    Options
    For some of the exercises (like push ups, planks, crunches, and dips) - I can see doing 2 of your 3 sets with a specific amount of reps to warm up, but why not make the 3rd set AMRAP (as many reps as possible)? That way you continue to push yourself...unless of course you are planning on adding weight to these, then I'd keep the set and reps the same.

Great suggestion! For those exercises I will do my last set to failure. Thank you
  • ShiraDarling
    Options
    Bumping for more input
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Drop one of the triceps exercise for a db incline bench or incline barbell bench.

Or dips.

I agree! I would add both. One of the incline pressed (either BB or DB) and Dips (especially Dips)

Any pull up / Chin up in your routine?
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I agree also with adding incline or dips. Also, a few more suggestions:

These seem to be on consecutive days. Instead, I would recommend separating them out with more rest or cardio days. So, may be do them on day1, 3, 5 & 7. Consider hitting major muscle groups twice a week.

Is your goal to gain muscle mass or strength or just overall fitness? Depending on the answer, you may have too many exercises per muscle group.
  • ShiraDarling
    Options
    I've now added dips, and pull-ups (assisted..) to my program , thanks! I have realized that compound exercises are going to be more beneficial for me than the isolation exercises that I had.
  • ShiraDarling
    Options

These seem to be on consecutive days. Instead, I would recommend separating them out with more rest or cardio days. So, may be do them on day1, 3, 5 & 7. Consider hitting major muscle groups twice a week.

Is your goal to gain muscle mass or strength or just overall fitness? Depending on the answer, you may have too many exercises per muscle group.

My goal is just overall fitness.. I only have about 15lbs to lose, but I would really like to gain some more muscle while dropping fat.. that's why I'm doing lower reps/heavier weights. I'm in fairly good shape now, but I really would like to kick it up a notch.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

This is pretty much a sure fire way to not make any progress.

Plan looks pretty good in theory. It does depend on your experience level also.

I prefer chins or assisted instead of lat pull downs.

The most important bit is how you plan to progress and manage plateaus.

Also, I'd do cardio after lifting.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

My goal is just overall fitness.. I only have about 15lbs to lose, but I would really like to gain some more muscle while dropping fat.. that's why I'm doing lower reps/heavier weights. I'm in fairly good shape now, but I really would like to kick it up a notch.

fat loss
    muscle gain

Pick one :smile:

The goal of resistance training in a deficit (for natty's) is to maintain the LBM you have. It is unlikely that you will gain LBM in a deficit unless you are a beginner or have muscle memory.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I've now added dips, and pull-ups (assisted..) to my program , thanks! I have realized that compound exercises are going to be more beneficial for me than the isolation exercises that I had.

That's great! Routine seems pretty solid. I noticed most of your rep range 6-8, Do you occasionally drop the reps and increase weight? Any drop sets or super sets? Pause reps? Little things and variations to add to your routine.
  • ShiraDarling
    Options

fat loss
    muscle gain

The goal of resistance training in a deficit (for natty's) is to maintain the LBM you have. It is unlikely that you will gain LBM in a deficit unless you are a beginner or have muscle memory.

Ok, I choose fat loss!! I guess I should just focus on the 15lbs before I try to gain any muscle. So will my program still work for that>? Or do I need to change it completely and focus more on cardio/Interval training?
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

This is pretty much a sure fire way to not make any progress.

Plan looks pretty good in theory. It does depend on your experience level also.

I prefer chins or assisted instead of lat pull downs.

The most important bit is how you plan to progress and manage plateaus.

Also, I'd do cardio after lifting.

Well, it's been working for me. I've tried doing plans, got bored of it. I do what I feel like [generally stick to the same machines and weights] but I don't limit myself, and I increase the weight and reps I do every week while losing weight. I actually look forward to the gym. Give it a try. Or don't.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

fat loss
    muscle gain

Ok, I choose fat loss!! I guess I should just focus on the 15lbs before I try to gain any muscle. So will my program still work for that>? Or do I need to change it completely and focus more on cardio/Interval training?

Nope, routine will be fine for that provided you have a cal deficit.