Working out with carpal tunnel?

Options
My wrists have been hurting for a while and I finally had the ncv/emg test done to tell me I do indeed have carpal tunnel. For now I'm splinting my wrists at night. Will see how it feels in a month. Dr said not to over extend or flex my wrists.

What can I do for working out that won't hurt me?

I've been thinking about joining a group fitness class. I'm not good at doing it on my own. I'm more accountable in a class setting.

Replies

• GregJourney
    GregJourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You might want to look in to a Zumba or step class. Something that is going to keep you on you feet and not carrying weights
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Can you walk/jog, bike or use an eliptical? Or does that bother your wrists? I would agree that a step or zumba class would be good too, as long as the arm movements aren't bothersome!
  • JennsJourney30
    JennsJourney30 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    arm movements dont bother me. I was worring about like using weights for arm day you know? i normally do group fitness classes where we do planks, run walk but also use weights and i wasnt sure about anything like that. I havent found a place where I am to start going yet but once I do, I am going to ask about how to protect my wrists.

i have never done a zumba or step class before
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can try some carpel tunnel yoga. I use this one and it's been helpful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Yb0KVXcTE

I don't have any real issues with lifting weights or anything like that, my biggest problems have been anything having to do with pressing on my wrist. Pushups, various yoga positions, etc. I've adjusted stuff like that to use straight wrists/fists or dropped to my forearms instead.

If I can get away with using my weights as handles, that's my first option. Like when it's time to do my pushups, I just use my dumbbells like pushup grips, so I can keep my wrists in line rather than bent back. If I can't use the dumbbells, like during yoga, I usually rest on my knuckles, but if my wrist is acting up I'll rest on the forearms instead {look up dolphin pose}. Forearms are usually my last choice, but its generally the only real option if I'm in pain.
  • barbarawaldowski
    barbarawaldowski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jenny - be sure and wear the braces each time you drive. Trust me - you will find how cockeyed you are seated in that drivers seat. Yoga is wonderful for everything - just modify any that involve your wrists. Stretching is huge for you but weights for your spine may be the top help. Esp lower back needs to get strong to alleviate ct.