Has running become stress relief for you?

Options
2»

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me, running is the best stress relief on the planet. I LOVE the feeling of making my muscles work, and get pretty cranky if I don't get a run in on a fairly regular basis. I don't worry about my heart rate, though. I just like to get out there and move. :) I'm itching to really get back to it - I've been off with a major chest cold for the last few weeks. Restarting my running program first thing in the morning. Can't WAIT!
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I run because it is a symbol of the things I denied myself by gaining so much weight. It is a well-deserved exclamation to myself that I am already a success. Every day that I go out, I'm pushing myself to achieve more because the old me wouldn't have even dreamed it was possible. All I'm thinking about is my breathing and my pace and it's the only time that I am truly living in the moment. To me, running is freedom and it might hurt to push through it sometimes but that makes it even more worthwhile.
  • markamckay3
    markamckay3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with FromHereOnOut. When my mind is zoned out I can run for a long time and not notice the time passing. It often helps if I'm already stressed going into the run because I latch my mind onto whatever problem is bothering me and plan out, in great detail, how to resolve it. Before I know it, I've run several miles, relieved myself of stress and worked out my problem.
    Sometimes I think about a tv show I watched that I really enjoyed and just replay it in my head line for line. I know it sounds weird but it entertains me and keeps me from thinking about how tired or sore I am. It's especially helpful if it's a funny show because I laugh my way through my workout.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I actually hate running too. I don't really know why I do it. I think it's become an addiction really. I'm on my seventh marathon training in the past year. I have also signed myself up for a 50 miler in September.

I don't enjoy running 90% of the time. I think i'm one of those people out there who enjoys the "challenge" aspect. I'm really competitive with myself. It's like my replacement for school/college. I spend so much time on it, it actually is a stress causer sometimes lol..

I can't explain it :-/
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    the races keep my ego in check (usually).

yes
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It was until I busted up my knees.

Take care of your joints. Take very good care of them. They have to last you all your life, and there's nothing worse than realizing you have to stop doing something you enjoy because you're getting creaky.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I run for various reasons, mostly just because I enjoy it. Occasionally it serves as stress relief. Sometimes when training for a marathon and knowing that you have to run in unfavorable conditions, it can be a little stress inducing. But not that badly.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    ANd I just posted that in a diff thread.

Some like to use their phones to track running, listen to music, etc.
    I prefer to leave the phone at home. Us a GPS watch and MP3 player i fyou want music.

Get untethered. Most people waste too much time on their phones and it feels good to get away from it even if its jut 20-30 min on your run.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    This has occurred only recently and I've been running for over 3 years. Just recently I found a good interval pace and a good playlist. Something about these things clicked and now I can't wait to run and clear my head.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm still fairly new to running, but I have found that it (along with most other exercises) is a great stress reliever. I was in a foul mood yesterday after work but forced myself to run a 5k. About a mile in there was a noticeable release of the day's stresses. Can't beat that feeling. Otherwise, I'm sure I would have gone home and started in on a bottle of wine!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Lately, yes! I used to dread running, and now I'm disappointed when there are no treadmills available.
  • crys_aintgivingup
    crys_aintgivingup Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your wonderful sharing! I like many of the suggestions made here - go on a run without my HRM, read a book about running, think about other things while running. I'll definitely give all of them a try. My goal isn't to participate in races but to be fit and also develop a habit for an exercise that can hopefully last lifelong. So slow and steady it is! :)
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Running for sure, other cardio a close second. It's harder for me to get started, but once I'm done, I'm glad I started. I usually put on my favorite pants, music and get running.
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    some runs are really bad for me, other days I find the right pace and playlist and it feels like you're flying :laugh:
    I don't get that feeling from cycling and I've done that for years.
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No but if I don't get my run in then I get stressed XD
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I run mainly as stress relief. I have 3 kids with special needs and running takes me away from the stress of dealing with that day in day out. I love my children dearly but if I workout in the house there is always one of them that needs something. If I run outdoors it is just me and the road/trail whatever. My mind is much clearer when I return and I am a better mummy as a result of this. If I have a problem I can usually come up with a solution whilst running. I use a GPS but rarely look at it.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Even when I'm training for a race, I only really feel stress on my runs during speed work, or pace runs which are usually only a couple times a week. The rest of my runs are usually at a comfortable pace, so I enjoy them immensely! I can't wait for that feeling of having sweat out the day's "toxins" and the accomplishment of more miles under my belt when I'm finished with them.