My first 10 k race!

Options
I ran my first 10 K race today in a time of 1:06! I was hoping to come in under 1:10 since my last full training run which was 10 K I did in 1:12. I didn't have my garmin on for the race so I was in total shock when I came in at 1:06. I know that's not fast for some of you speedy runners but for me this was a major accomplishment! My husband ran it in 48 minutes, he's really fast. We are signing up for a half marathon in October. Was interested in hearing what people's experiences were with half marathon training and racing? I have a plan from runners world and since I already have my 10 K base now I'm feeling pretty confident I can do it. I have fallen in love with running:)

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Good job ... now plan for your next race and beat it.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Great job--I suggest joining the long distance runner's forum. They have awesome people who regularly give great advice.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/94-long-distance-runners
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I attempted my first run at that distance today and It took me about 1 1/2 hours. I do the Galloway method with it. Congrats!!
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Great job--I suggest joining the long distance runner's forum. They have awesome people who regularly give great advice.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/94-long-distance-runners

^^ this. Congratulations! It's great to have the family running together!
  • nurserunnermom
    nurserunnermom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! I will check out the long distance runners forum! The best part about running for me is that is has taken away the diet mentality and focus on everything I'm eating and calorie/carb counting obsession. I quickly learned that you have to fuel properly to run these distances. Now I eat more intuitively so I am not prone to the binging I was doing before when I was severely restricting calories and carbs. Now I have to find a balance as I would like to drop 10-15 pounds to improve my running.
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Wow that's exciting, congrats! I'm also working up to a half marathon. :)
  • OliverEvieAmelia
    OliverEvieAmelia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done! I just ran my first 10k race yesterday as well. Was it the Sunderland city 10k? (not sure if you are in the UK). I loved the atmosphere it was a great buzz and really looking forward to the next one! Do you have another race lined up?
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    :happy: congratulations!!
    The more I read the more I want to get back into running.
    Thanks for being inspiring!
  • nurserunnermom
    Options
    no i'm from canada! congrats on your 10 k as well!
  • nurserunnermom
    Options
    Thanks again! right now I am looking for another 10 K to do in may and then I will train over the summer for the half marathon in october. Might do a 10 K in september again.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a pr, and a great run! Don't worry if others may, or may not be faster than you, especially on your first races for a distance. Those are setting a baseline and should also be about enjoying the run you've worked so hard to get to (Your time was pretty good, I'd imagine you were probably mid pack in your age group.).

Long distance runners is a great group to join. The group helped me achieve a great first half marathon yesterday.

In regards to your question as to whether or not your training for, and running, a 10K is a good enough base to start for a half.... I believe it is. A lot of people use the 10K as a stepping stone to a half (I did so myself).
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the long distance running group. Great information. Congrats on catching the running bug and congrats on a great race.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    good job!! my training 10K is about 1:10 I'm hoping to come in at that time when I run my first 10K race in oct.
  • nurserunnermom
    Options
    that is great price eric! I love the 10 k distance! you might surprise yourself and come in even faster:)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a great time!! Congrats!! I have my first 10K in 2 weeks and I'm so nervous! My goal is also 1:10 but I'll be happy as long as I cross that finish line (and not with the assistance of an ambulance!)