Egg Whites

Options
For those that eat egg whites and also eat relatively clean, do you buy the carton or do you crack an egg and just take out the white? I don't like the idea of my eggs coming from a box :-)

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I buy it from the box, but I make sure I buy the type that ONLY has egg whites (it's the only ingredient on the box). All-whites is one brand, I've also seen some store-brand versions (Lucerne for Safeway in my area). I don't like wasting yolks from the whole eggs.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I crack my own. 3 whites and one yolk in my omelettes.
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    I just crack the egg and throw away the yolk. I might seem like a waste, but it's far cheaper than the carton of egg whites.
  • bsweettt
    Options
    I used to use the ones from the box, but I wasn't measuring the amount so I seemed to be eating extraordinary amounts of them (although, yes, they ARE good for you- but wasn't doing the #1 thing, portion control). Now I just buy the regular ones and separate. I can actually see that 3 egg whites are FILLING now, not the 6 or 7 I was basically forcing myself to eat at once!
  • Diesel66
    Diesel66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Old School...crack 'em :)
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I buy them in the carton. We also buy regular eggs but I don't eat those, that's for the other folks in the house. We only buy cage free eggs and egg whites so it's actually cheaper for me to buy egg whites in the carton than it is to buy a dozen eggs (considering we pay ~$4 a dozen for the eggs)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i use 100% egg whites in the carton but I also use so many eggs (4 whites, 1 whole egg) that it would be more expensive to use real eggs. Its about $4 for me to buy half a dozen organic brown eggs.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Either or, depending on what's in the fridge.

How do you guys use them? Apart from baking and making veg/tofu scrambles, I'm not too sure how to incorporate them into my diet regularly, but I love using them! If you have any good suggestions, please let me know. I'd love to be using them daily! So many great health benefits :bigsmile:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I just crack the egg and throw away the yolk. I might seem like a waste, but it's far cheaper than the carton of egg whites.

Actually, one carton of the egg whites I use is 2 cups of egg whites. Each egg has about 2 Tbsp of whites, so that's 8 eggs per cup. So, one carton is equivalent to 16 egg whites (roughly). At $4 for a carton, this really isn't too much more expensive. I buy the larger container though - if you buy the 1 cup cartons, it's more expensive, relative to the size.

There's also the space issue - we go through enough whole eggs in my household - if we had to buy enough of those to include all the egg whites I use, it would take up way too much room!
  • broush23
    broush23 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have used both, but have to admit real egg whites taste better.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    We can get organic cage free eggs at Costco so I buy the whole eggs and crack them.

When I hard boil them I give the yolk to the dogs. I have heard the yolk is good for dog's hair and skin. Now when they hear the crack of the shell they come running across the house for their treat.
  • jtfish112
    jtfish112 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I crack mine, it's easy and I don't feel wasteful since we just recently got a dozen hens for our backyard :happy: Those girls have been a huge help to my diet, and my grocery bill! They're pretty easy to take care of too.
  • kr7213
    kr7213 Posts: 7
    Options
    I had to get past that 'in the carton" thing to...and I just got past it. I find it so much quicker and easier now than dealing with a real egg, and price wise is about the same. I am rushed in the mornings, but can manage the time to deal with the carton eggs and make a quick breakfast that is very filling and low cal.
  • SkierElle
    SkierElle Posts: 335
    Options
    Just curious, what happens to the yolks when the companies make the products with only egg whites?! does anyone know?

And i LOVE love love yolks. could never just have the white! the yolks, if you get the right kind of eggs, actually have quite a bit of Omega 3's. but to each his/her own :)
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    *Free range chickens LOL!
  • sara_xo
    sara_xo Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'll normally buy an 18 pack of eggs for $4...

5 egg whites from the carton = 1 cup (extra large eggs)

When you only get 2 cups in the container things and they are almost 4$.. RIP OFF!!

Or I'll buy from http://www.eggwhitesint.com/store.php?crn=66 when I'm getting ready for something and what to lean out.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    They probably use the egg yolks to make mayonnaise or hollandaise sauce.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    LOL the banner ad at the top of this page when I replied was for Cartoned Egg Whites... ever feel like you're being watched ;-)
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I use the real thing. We get our eggs from a coworker of hubby. They are cagefree organic fed chickens.
  • countjackula
    Options
    I use the whole egg! Egg whites are yummy and nutritious! :happy:

If I had to get just the egg whites though... in the past I've gotten it from these guys:

http://www.eggwhitesint.com/

Don't even have to cook it, you can just pump it into a shake! (Although if you feel uneasy about getting egg whites from a box I'm not sure how you'll feel about getting it from a tub...)