PCOS need help! Add me !

Hey guys I was diagnosed with pcos and put on metformin this week . I could really use any help available. I am currently 316.6 so I have a long way to go to reach my goa; of 200. It would be nice to have some pals on here to work with and support each other. Please feel free to add me ! Or let me know what you do to help you lose weight. While I'm glad to finally have a answer to the crazy weight gain I am still uncertain of what to do now. Anything would help. Thanks.

Replies

• rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    I know I'll get bashed for suggesting this, but consider keto for a lifestyle change after getting diagnosed with PCOS. It really does help.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    I have pcos also.
    One of my big issues is sheer insanity with my appetite and cravings on days 14 thru 28. I don't have any suggestions but I am going to add you.
  • explain
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    I'm not sure who you're asking to explain, but I'll assume you're talking to me
    Go to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/mobilebasic?pli=1
    It explains keto.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Added! I have it too. it will make weight loss harder, but not impossible. I've gone a month or 2 without dropping a pound, then sometimes I'll loose like 5-10 lbs the one month.
  • mabodigor
    mabodigor Posts: 6
    I just recently found out I have PCOS also, weight loss and diet used to be easy for me and now I am struggling to lose even 1lbs. Adding you to give you all the support I can!
  • I've been recently diagnosed too and been recommended by my Gynaecologist to go on a low carb diet. Been trying for a week now but don't know if I'm doing it right or not!
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    You can add me! The best diet to be on for PCOS is the Atkins diet. WWW.Atkins.com When you sign up (FREE), they will send you a starter kit (FREE).
    I have been on Atkins for a year and have lost 58 pounds. My name is Atkins is Travelbug1955 if you join and want to be friends. You will not crave any carbs if you follow this diet. The foods fill you up! There are great recipes and lots of support. This site also gives you lost of support, so you should be members of both. Good luck on your journey.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    I have PCOS. I've gone from 320 to 237 just counting calories but I'm considering switching to low carb to help with some of my issues. (I know it's not for everyone, but I do hear it works well for PCOS girls)

Feel free to add me.
  • TiLo0905
    TiLo0905 Posts: 34
    hey ladies I was dx with pcos when I was 18...over 20 years ago, by a doctor who explained it to me by making me read an article in a medical journal. It was such a new thing he said people don't know enough about it...so over the years I feel like I grew along with it, and it sucked. You name the symptom I had it :( including the infertility and pregnancy issues. Friend me if you like...I feel like I could talk for hours (or maybe complain hahaha) about it, but I don't want to bore you.

Key take aways. Pcos is metabolic, and your body does not how to process the insulin your body produces. Because its a fat storage hormone, it floats around your system like a bunch of drunk and stupid stooges and when it can't find a home (or convert to energy) it stores itself as fat. Basically if you eat an apple, and the non pcos person besides you eats an apple, one of you will get fatter because of it (give or take) because of how your body responds to it. Over time if its not controlled your pancreas, which produces insulin, can poop out on you, so you even though you work three times harder than anyone else, you'll have less than a fraction of the results. So hang in there and don't get discouraged, that's pcos for ya. :huh:

Study up on glycemic index, as well as insulin resistance, and really pay attention to eating protein, as it helps stabilize your insulin spikes. Im not a doctor and I can't say for sure that what I tell you is the same for all pcos'ers...but I can say this. Its a darn pain in the behind. I can also say this. Been there done that...got the 3x tshirt. :laugh:
  • pinkpolkadots25
    pinkpolkadots25 Posts: 101 Member
    I have PCOS and have maintained a loss of 138 lbs for over a year. (260 to 122). Lower carb worked very well for me. Cutting out most processed foods made a huge difference. Feel free to add me or send me a message if I can help!
  • dragonfly123321
    dragonfly123321 Posts: 51 Member
    Hi I was diagnosed with PCO as well I definitely think the lo carb works but for me its very hard I love my carbs & Hi intensity interval Training my periods were regulated doing both of these I think after I lost 10 lbs or so my periods were every 65- 90 days now 30-33 days! I'll add you :)
  • N3rdMom
    N3rdMom Posts: 1
    Has anyone else found that women who don't have PCOS don't really understand that we don't just have the "typical" issues that come with our monthly visitor? It is frustrating. I had to switch doctors because of my insurance and the new one diagnosed me with PMDD instead and gave me Prozac to take for 2 weeks a month. I am luckily back with my old doc and going to see if he will re-diagnose me with PCOS and put me back on the Metformin because I felt a lot better back then.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Feel free to add me. I was diagnoses this year. It took me nearly 10 years to get my DX. NO ONE believed me when I journal my food, and 80% of the time it was fantastically healthy and in reasonable portions but I kept gaining weight.

I've giving MFP and counting calories ONLY three months to see if I'm making a dent in my weight, otherwise i'll ask my doctor for Metaformin. When I was DXed the only options the doctor gave me was 1) go back on BC or 2) lose weight.

/sigh
  • KatherineLouise14
    KatherineLouise14 Posts: 359 Member
    My biggest issue with PCOS is my affinity for carbs. I eat raw fruits, veggies and nuts all day but by the end of the night, all I want is pasta. Since the metformin. My cravings have lessened but it's a work in progress.
  • TiLo0905
    TiLo0905 Posts: 34
    Has anyone else found that women who don't have PCOS don't really understand that we don't just have the "typical" issues that come with our monthly visitor? It is frustrating. I had to switch doctors because of my insurance and the new one diagnosed me with PMDD instead and gave me Prozac to take for 2 weeks a month. I am luckily back with my old doc and going to see if he will re-diagnose me with PCOS and put me back on the Metformin because I felt a lot better back then.

huh...don't even get me started :angry: Its not just non pcos'ers but even doctors and medical experts who pooh pooh the whole thing. Its not as bad now but when i was diagnosed in the early 80's half the people i was sent to for help hadn't even heard of it, even later on I waited over 10 months for an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist and within the first five minutes of sitting in his office he said i can't help you go home and lose weight first. :noway: Like i didn't want to punch him in the head right then and there but you know what he pissed me off and i joined weight watchers the next day.

problem is, his plan worked lol! :blushing:

just arm yourself with knowledge and follow your instincts...you'll get the treatment you need eventually. :ohwell:
  • Bronxee
    Bronxee Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone. I just joined today, and Im glad I stumbled on this page :) ! I can totally understand you and everyone elses frustration, PCOS/PCOD is really not cute...but what is helping me is not about the weight Im loosing but trying to feel better. I know it might sound corny...but if you keep looking at the scale for validation, well its like the relationship that always seems to dissapoint but; you keep going back hoping it (numbers on the scale) will change. So the only one who can change is you.
    Im just tired of the game...Ive learned with PCOS insulin resistance is real...so I eat clean and no I cant buy organic, but I make do with what I have...I am moving more, and I feel better. Just move ladies with intention of beating the relationship of PCOS...fruitsr veggies, nuts, beans, less meat it produces more androgen thereby increasing testosterone...there are books on PCOS dieting...in the end though you got to take thd first step and move the booty...it will go just a little bit slowly :)

We can do this!!!
  • blesseddiva77
    blesseddiva77 Posts: 32 Member
    I have it as well and it does make it harder to lose weight but it can be done I am doing it I was not put on metformin but bc pills instead for mine.
  • carson28
    carson28 Posts: 1 Member
    So glad that I found this post. I was diagnosed with PCOS about 10 months before my son was born, lost about 10lbs, and then gained it all back, plus an extra 15lbs. Fast forward two years, I trained for a half marathon and lost NOTHING, mostly due to my bad eating, found out I was pregnant again, and am currently 33 weeks along. I want to start getting back on track with my eating NOW so that when 2.0 gets here, it's more of a habit than a chore to eat healthy.

When I lost the weight a few years ago it was mostly due to cutting out fried foods, cooking a lot more at home, and no soda. I'm having to watch my blood sugars with this pregnancy (thanks, PCOS), so I've had a better idea of what's been good for me and what hasn't.

Anyways, looking for all of the support and encouragement I can get, please feel free to add me!
  • elizziegb
    elizziegb Posts: 4 Member
    My people! I hear you all...it took me 6 years to find a doctor who believed me. They put me on a low carb/low sugar diet almost 5 years ago and it has helped a ton. My weight used to yo-yo all around within a 30 pound range. I am am only 5'2, so 30 pounds is a lot. In the past 5 years those weight swings are only in a 5-10 pound range with little medication. It can be very annoying a lot of days, but it has been so nice for me to know that 90% of my issues were fixed with diet. I also used to get terrible heartburn every day, now it is mostly gone.

If you are looking for more recipe resources, the Paleo Diet is also a good thing to Google. It is very low carb and high protein. Good luck!