Body fat %

Options
Hi guys :) I recently went to pt consultation, had all my measurements taken and he told me my body fat percentage was a whopping 60% surely this can't be right?!

Replies

• Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is 500+ lb I doubt that 60% is accurate.

You can try to calculate your body fat percentage from these sites:

Scooby:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/body-fat-calculator/

Health Central:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

I use an Omron HBF306C which is fairly precise ( I don't really care about accuracy, I just need relative readings) and inexpensive.
  • KHattley
    KHattley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use an Omron too - great way of tracking not only weight but body fat % and BMI too. I do kettlebell training and because I am building strength and muscle my weight may well go up but my body fat % might come down which is why I bought it. I think it's a much better estimate of how healthy you are - there's no point losing weight and thinking you're doing really well if your body fat % goes above healthy levels.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How did they estimate it? If your picture is up to date, then that doesn't sound remotely accurate.
  • tenaciousdee78
    tenaciousdee78 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone..joined my fitness pal around a month ago..its really good and helping me stay on track but need some weight loss buddies on here so feel free to add me ????
  • Cherylllyn
    Cherylllyn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    That sounds extremely unlikely.
  • lindy282
    lindy282 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys. Yeh my picture was from last week, he hooked me up to a machine as I laid on the floor.
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you are really curious about body fat percentage, the water displacement method would be worth your while.