Juicing Calories

Options
13»

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    http://juicerecipes.com/build/

try that you can enter what you are using in your juices and it will give you the cals and nutrient breakdown

I don't really juice though I just bookmarked that from a previous post

I just found that I didn't like cleaning the machine all the time - last time I used my juicer I just made cubes of juice in the ice cube tray in the freezer and threw them in a baggie - I use them when I make smoothies sometimes - each cube is about 30 g of juice

The data base does have some juice and juice combos in it but it probably isn't that accurate for the calcs as it would be based on someone else's fruits/veg amounts and size
  • pennyjhagen
    Options
    I second the previous post, Juice Recipe Builder....should have read to the end of the posts :p
  • kp82883
    kp82883 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • dbirdsell
    Options
    Because if your diet is primarily fruits and veg, you'd spend your ENTIRE day eating to consume the amount of calories needed to live, and workout, etc. I don't know about you, but I get full eventually, and I have to work....having the option to drink some of my calories is required, not just a choice.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I just bought an Oster Masticating Juicer. I entered the amounts in my diary under carrot juice homemade and apple juice homemade, because I made a mix.

I bought the juicer because I have a hard time digesting fruits and vegetables because of two digestive problems that I won't get into. I have consulted with a registered dietician who has confirmed that juicing (not as replacement for a meal) will give me those vitamins that I am missing because of my incredible fast transit time.

So, I will see how the next 24 hours go.

If all goes well and I don't end up in pain, I will keep up with this for a week and then try adding some veggies in, as well. The juice was a nice treat, but I only had about eight ounces.

I loved the masticating juicer, as compared to the centrifuge type. Much easier to clean.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Contribution of Fiber to Energy
    While it is still unclear as to the energy yield of fibers in humans,
    current data indicate that the yield (of soluble fiber) is in the range of 1.5 to 2.5 kcal/g
    (Livesey, 1990; Smith et al., 1998).

Source: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/DRI_Energy/energy_full_report.pdf

Which means when juicing a fruit or vegetable follow the formula below:

Juiced Calories =Total calories of raw fruit or vegetable - (1.5 [from fiber energy statement above] X Total amount of soluble Fiber)

I choose 1.5 to make the juice on the higher end of the calorie range.

Example
    Carrot
    Description: 7.5 inches (in) in length
    Mass: 72 grams (g)
    Total kilo Calories (kcal): 26 kcal
    Total Fiber: 2.3 g
    Soluble Fiber: 1.1 g
    Insoluble Fiber 1.2 g

Juiced kcal =Total kcal (of raw fruit or vegetable) - 1.5 X Total amount of soluble Fiber
    26kcal -1.5 kcal/g X 1.2g= 24.2 kcal

Soluble Fiber Source Document: http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/file/ourservices/service_nutrition_fiber.pdf

Please let me know if you'd like further clarification.

Wow, that's a lot of complexity to only deduct 1.8 calories from what you started with. Like 1.8 calories is going to make approximately ZERO difference to anything. Vegetables and fruit aren't high calorie to begin. It's easiest to log the whole item and just be done with it. Also then you get a buffer in case you're underestimating quantity.

ETA: The only real difference in nutrition is going to be fibre content. And if you're removing fibre then I assume you aren't worried about tracking that in the first place. And if you are worried about tracking it then don't juice your fruit and vegetables. Simple!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Juicing also helps with consuming more vegetables and fruit you normally don't consume. It also give your digestive system a break. #somethingtochewon

Do you ever give your heart a break from beating? How about your brain? Does that get a break too?

(Pro-tip: your organs don't need a break; they're capable of functioning 24/7 for about 80 years).
  • kmclauchlanquinn
    kmclauchlanquinn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think both juicing and vitamix are great. Just determine what you want. Pulp where your body has to break down food or straight juice to the body. Both has benefits. Also just learned cold press is better. Once heat from blades process food, it disturbs the nutrition. Something to think about.

Yep :) Juice puts the vitamins straight into your blood stream. Smoothies contain fibre which is good for digestion. Both have their place. Some people go on a juice fast to give their digestive system a break. This is also valid.
  • ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I know for me, with big old digestive problems, I was having problems because I simply have such short "transit time" (meaning food takes wings and flies through me) that I was having problems such as losing hair and my skin was horribly suffering from psoriasis.

A bit of homemade juice has helped me get those vitamins into my system. For a long time I thought that juicing fruits was bad for me. But it's not. And my go to juice (apple, carrot, pear, celery) really goes down nicely and does not offer any hurty side-effects.

Last year I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and I bought the book and tried to do a juice fast. It made me so sick. I was miserable. This time, as I have come back to eating right and swimming, I am trying to keep this in mind:

ALL things in moderation.
  • NJKathy1
    NJKathy1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I found this site. Just type in what your juicing and you get all the nutritional info!

http://juicerecipes.com/build/
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Try this web site. http://juicerecipes.com/build/ You enter the information and it gives you the nutritional values and calories.
    That is a brilliant site!
    Thankyou!!
    x
  • BeHappy336
    Options
    The juice recipe builder http://juicerecipes.com/build/ allows you to 'build' or 'make' your own custom recipe to find out what nutrients are in it to the right. Are you in the kitchen and tossing in a bunch of random things? Add the ingredients to the builder as you go and see what's in it!
  • mellowdeezer
    mellowdeezer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    COOL!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What an odd thread. It looks like people have been bumping it for the past 3 years to add a link to the exact same site.
  • parsonsk64
    parsonsk64 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • dmkoulianos
    Options
    Found this helpful: http://juicerecipes.com/build/

:-)

OOPsss....just saw this was already listed....
  • Deezr
    Deezr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This was super helpful. Thank you!:smile:
  • joysomebody
    joysomebody Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love my Vitamix. I make soup in it all the time.