Would this be a good idea for motivation?

Options
I'm currently 185 pounds and want to be 115-125. I also want to be a size 5 in jeans. I'm currently a 12-14. I know huge.. Especially for my height. 5"2 or 5"3. I don't really remember. Anyways, I was wondering if it's be a good idea to buy the jeans I want to be and hang them up in my room as motivation. I spend a lot of time in my room, but that's just apart of being me. But do you think I should spend the 35$ on a pair of jeans that I may never even be small enough for? Or do you think I could possibly get that small and that it's a good idea for motivation? I have hung up pants in my closet but I don't think that's doing me much justice.

I have a medium frame, and my body shape is a pear I believe. (If that makes any difference.) I also was SUPER tiny when I was a bit younger. I mean SUPER SUPER tiny. like I could barely fit into anything. I was like skin and bones. And I put on a ton of weight in the past 10ish years because of personal reasons.. Thanks for you help!

Replies

• jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Here is my two cents...Forget about what size you want to be and strive for healthy. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to make it into a pair of pants you might not even fit into once you hit your goal weight. Maybe try setting small goals for yourself like for every 10 pounds you reward yourself with say a new haircut or a movie night complete with junk food, etc. and work your way up to say a new wardrobe for hitting your goal weight. But again it's entirely up to you. To keep myself motivated I pay myself $1 for every workout I do and around my next Birthday I'm going to treat myself to something (I have no idea what yet.)
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'd not waste the money, instead invest in something like a jar and put away money for every milestone reached, say 5-10lbs lost. As you save up the money, create a list of items you can buy with the money as a reward for losing the weight. You may not get to the goal of a size 5 in jeans, you could, you never know. I'm 127 and wear a size four/five and it's a bit lose on me and I'm 5'4 and an hourglass/pear so it really just depends. Your body may not get down to that weight because you've gotten older and your hormones have properly "womanized" for lack of a better term so your hips have widened a bit and you aren't the same as you were ten years ago.

I'd say on top of the jar, make a list of motivators for you and a list of goals. On my wall I have a list of goals such as: lower body fat% to 19-22, lower weight to 118-125lbs, be more healthful in all daily activities, drink more water, exercise daily, etc.

Find things that motivate you and don't use a material item like pants that may never fit.
  • Madison1Jones
    Options
    Get a bathing suit for like 7 at walmart and work out in it at home.
  • nicoleisback
    nicoleisback Posts: 184
    Options
    I personally find something like 'skinny clothes' to be a real turn off when it comes to motivation, as they make my goal seem so much further away. What I do instead is to pick a goal for milestones (usually every 10kg) and buy my goal prize at the start. It then goes straight to my partner who gets told I am only allowed it when I reach my goal. At the moment my hair is in bad need of re dyeing, and I only get my bleach and dye from my partner when I reach 80kg.

TRhis also allows me to work around things financially. I can buy my 'prize' when I have money spare, and don't have to wait when I hit my goal because potentially it's still a week till pay day and I have too many bills to pay
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste my money buying something i couldn't wear yet, it's good to dream and imagine yourself in your dream body but you can do that without a pair of pants
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I think you should wait - you don't know how your body will look in those jeans when you reach your goal, there might be some other kind of sexy clothes you want then! When I started to get closer to my goal, I wrote down a list of rewards that I would treat myself for each mini-goal. Because I was only 8kg away it was happening very slowly (1kg per month) and I was losing motivation so I decided to treat myself with each kilo lost! It's something like this:
    60kg - new lipstick -achieved
    59kg - cheese and wine tasting (with a friend for her birthday) - achieved
    58kg - new video game
    57kg - haircut at toni & guy
    56kg - new bra and undies
    55kg - $100 spending spree on clothes
    54kg - new tattoo!

I'm a student so I don't have heaps of money but I've been saving since I don't spend as much on restaurants or booze anymore :)
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I personally find something like 'skinny clothes' to be a real turn off when it comes to motivation, as they make my goal seem so much further away.

So much this. The further away the goal seems, the easier it is to get frustrated and quit because it doesn't feel like you're getting any closer, or because your progress is slower than you anticipated.
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Everyone is motivated by different things. Whether it's a good idea or not is up to you. If it helps motivate you then why not?

A lot of people on here say to throw your fat clothes away so that you can't go back to them. I find that keeping my fat clothes is motivation for me because I can see how much smaller I am in them. Some people probably get the same motivation from buying small clothes.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Have you got anything that is too small in your wardrobe? that could be hung in sight and another good idea is to make a motivation board, i did mine on Pinterest. If you really want to buy some jeans maybe get some just a size or two down and then when they fit get another pair so your goal wont see so far off :smile:
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'd say go buy your jeans from a thrift store and save 30 bucks, but there is a downside. You might get a pair from 20 years ago, when a size 5 was more like a size 0 today.

But if you want to hit up the thrift store and buy jeans in various sizes, starting with a size you can squeeze into and zip but not wear comfortably, that might be a good idea. It helps to have goals all along the way, as has already been said.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If that would work for you, go for it. I have a lot of skinny clothes that I don't fit back into yet and I find it frustrating more than anything.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    My cupboard is full of 'skinny clothes' and for me it hasn't proved to be a motivation.

The opposite in fact has helped - keeping an item of clothing at my highest weight and using it as a measurement of how far I've come.

but you need to find something that works for you :)

all the best!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It's only a good idea if it will actually work for you to motivate you. There are people who are able to do that and have it motivate them, and others who it wouldn't. I can tell you it wouldn't be something that would work for me, but I'm not you. Only you can tell if it'll work for you.