5K time for 300 pounder

Options
umer76
umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
Hey guys, I am just curious to know the average time for the 5K jog/walk for the people who are over 300lbs. I started doing my first 5K in 55 min and now I am at 46 minutes. I jog pretty slow but it would be good to know how people in my weight range doing the 5Ks.

Replies

• numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Really can't compare to others, it depends on your fitness level. I know 300+ people that run sub-30min 5K's. The last time I raced a 5K over 300 lbs (308.2 lbs) I ran a 41:32.
  • umer76
    Options
    Really can't compare to others, it depends on your fitness level. I know 300+ people that run sub-30min 5K's. The last time I raced a 5K over 300 lbs (308.2 lbs) I ran a 41:32.
    Good to know that. 41:32 is a good time.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Like numsquat said it depends on your fitness but when I was my heaviest it took me around 45 minutes to do a 5km. Good luck with your future 5kms :-)
  • umer76
    Options
    Like numsquat said it depends on your fitness but when I was my heaviest it took me around 45 minutes to do a 5km. Good luck with your future 5kms :-)
    Thanks and I am hoping to come close to 40 mins during this summer.
  • prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5" (short legs) and have always been a relatively slow walker. At 300 lbs, I struggled to keep a 3 mph pace. At 260 lbs, I was proud to finish my last 5k walk (with hills!) inside of 53 :40 (about a 3.4 mph pace). I keep on working at it...my old joints tell me I am still a bit too heavy to jog. So, as folks say, it depends on the individual.

:smile:
  • umer76
    Options
    I am 5' 5" (short legs) and have always been a relatively slow walker. At 300 lbs, I struggled to keep a 3 mph pace. At 260 lbs, I was proud to finish my last 5k walk (with hills!) inside of 53 :40 (about a 3.4 mph pace). I keep on working at it...my old joints tell me I am still a bit too heavy to jog. So, as folks say, it depends on the individual.

After building up stamina for the 5K (a mix of jog and walk) the real struggle starts with the joints. I am dealing with the pain in my right knee. I take 4 days break and go for jog next 3 days if possible. Aim is to rest my knees for 4 days.
  • umer76
    Options
    BUMP
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    As long as you are giving it your best effort, any time is a good time. Sounds cheesy, but it's true. Speed is relative.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My last 5k I completed the race at 29:48. I was sore for days. Since then I have been slowing my pace to a 15:00 mile due to the fact that I can burn fat at that pace which is needed so I can lose weight before my knees, hips and ankles give way to my excessive weight.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Mid- 30 minutes is a good time for a first 5k. I knew one woman who was in the high 200's after completing C25k who took about an hour. I've seen times all over the map though.

Anyway, the first race at any distance is about the distance not the race. You just don't know how you'll perform in a race environment if you haven't been in one.

And, if you are experiencing knee pain, I'd strongly suggest attending a form clinic. This is the one I used, but check with your local running store: http://www.goodformrunning.com/
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I ran 5Ks starting at about 225. I'm now down to 185 and I can say that losing the weight makes a huge difference. That said, I've seen people thinner than me finish in the 40s and 50s, so it's really more about cardio fitness than weight.

Regardless of your weight, the keys to avoiding injury are warming up/cooling down, doing runner-specific strength work, and slowing down or stopping if your pain keeps getting worse during a run/walk.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I am just curious to know the average time for the 5K jog/walk for the people who are over 300lbs. I started doing my first 5K in 55 min and now I am at 46 minutes. I jog pretty slow but it would be good to know how people in my weight range doing the 5Ks.

You're doing great. I was approx. 175 lbs when I ran 5K for the first time and it took 50 minutes. It's more about cardio than weight and you'll improve over time. Just keep running.
    I'm now down to about 38 minutes. It feels great every time your average time goes down.
    Just keep running and giving it your best. Your time will come down naturally. Enjoy your runs. That'll keep you getting out there.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    After building up stamina for the 5K (a mix of jog and walk) the real struggle starts with the joints. I am dealing with the pain in my right knee. I take 4 days break and go for jog next 3 days if possible. Aim is to rest my knees for 4 days.

You're running 3 days in a row? If so, this may be causing some of your knee pain. It's hard on the body to run more than one day in a row. Have you tried running on alternative days and giving your knees & body a chance to rest & repair on alternative days?
  • PaytraB
    Options
    As long as you are giving it your best effort, any time is a good time. Sounds cheesy, but it's true. Speed is relative.

+1. Great advice.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, at 255 lbs, I did a 5k in 43 mins and about 20 seconds. The one I did in March at closer to 260, I did in 48-ish minutes. As I lose, my times will get faster. I know my weight is holding me back. We will see what I do on Saturday at 249.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    my brother in law ans sister in law are in that weight bracket and they do a 5K walking in about an hour.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Do you have joint problems with walking, too, or just jogging? I ask this because if walking isn't a problem for you, I'd recommend working on building up your stamina and fitness with walking only and then add back in jogging later. Find yourself a course that gives you plenty of hills to go up and work on increasing your walking speed and endurance. If you use a treadmill, regularly change up your speed and incline. On the treadmill I would go at 3.5 mph with low incline, then jump the incline up to 10, then reduce the incline but up my speed to 3.7 then up the incline then up the speed, etc. Your 5k time will improve because of it and you will probably have less injury risk.

Last year I was upper 200s and was walking daily and constantly aiming to improve my speed/fitness. I would walk up hills and all over and could walk a 5k in under 45 minutes. Then, I started running, but I'm not the fastest runner. I ran a full 5k in just over 38 minutes. After slacking off for 9 months, I'm getting back in the swing of things and just working on my walking for now. I know the running will come later.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    My 5K time has been consistently around 36:00 whether I've weighed over 300 or not.
  • umer76
    Options

Do you have joint problems with walking, too, or just jogging? I ask this because if walking isn't a problem for you, I'd recommend working on building up your stamina and fitness with walking only and then add back in jogging later. Find yourself a course that gives you plenty of hills to go up and work on increasing your walking speed and endurance. If you use a treadmill, regularly change up your speed and incline. On the treadmill I would go at 3.5 mph with low incline, then jump the incline up to 10, then reduce the incline but up my speed to 3.7 then up the incline then up the speed, etc. Your 5k time will improve because of it and you will probably have less injury risk.

Last year I was upper 200s and was walking daily and constantly aiming to improve my speed/fitness. I would walk up hills and all over and could walk a 5k in under 45 minutes. Then, I started running, but I'm not the fastest runner. I ran a full 5k in just over 38 minutes. After slacking off for 9 months, I'm getting back in the swing of things and just working on my walking for now. I know the running will come later.
    Thanks for the good points. I dont have knee pain while walking I only feel it when I run and after few minutes when it warms the paid reduces. It is on the outer part of the knee.
    I usually run outside on the pavement. For 5K I use treadmill but for longer walk and runs I go outside over the weekends.