Anybody stopped weighing themselves?

Options
Do you feel better when you aren't weighing yourself? I used to be obsessed with weighing myself and it was really starting to get to me constantly seeing my fluctuations, however I have given up weighing myself and continued to eat healthy and have cheats on the weekend and I feel a lot better than when I was weighing myself.

Anybody in the same boat?

Replies

• meenanachi
    meenanachi Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't weight myself immediately after I have had a cheat day. That's just makes me feel bad. I start weighing myself after two days after i have been good and got ridden of it all.
  • nicoleisback
    nicoleisback Posts: 184
    Options
    I prefer regular weigh ins. I find without them I quickly lose motivation and get lax
  • rachlee777
    rachlee777 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep I don't weigh myself anymore, made me depressed if I'd gain weight and then I'd start eating again and telling myself what's the point. I can see if I'm loosing weight without the scales :)
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Weigh in once per week and you can monitor your progress without becoming obsessed with the scale or without becoming too lax (if you stop weighing yourself entirely you might slowly slip into bad habits or slowly gain weight back and not notice).
  • Jobug8
    Jobug8 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have started to only weigh myself once a month. That way all I see is the weight going down, and hopefully it is a big down. When I weighed every week I would then eat really bad and then give up. This way I work hard most of the month and have a few cheat days. Then all I get to see is the progress and not the ups and down.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I like the once a month suggestion better than once a week. I personally weigh every day, but only because I am OCD about it, and only because I geekily love keeping little graphs and charts.
  • Fattackler2013
    Fattackler2013 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once every two weeks and I used to be obsessed with weighing myself. It can really get you down if you don't see what you'd like to and some people tend to give up when they feel like they aren't making enough progress. You're not going to notice an accurate change if you weigh yourself too often so once a week or once every two weeks is fine. Hide your scales from sight if you have to.

I feel much happier now that I'm not as obsessed with it.
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    Yip, months ago.
    Scales are evil anyway so just went for measures instead as well as clothes fitting.
  • AnatolF
    AnatolF Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Once every two weeks here. I prefer to take pride in non-scale victories. Take a picture of yourself today (in just your underwear) then hide that picture away. One month from today, take another picture (in just your underwear) then compare the pics side by side. Considering that you have been working hard for those four weeks, you'll see much more progress that you can take pride in than that of any number on a scale.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it was always the first stage of denial.
  • dlbredesen
    dlbredesen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    For me it was always the first stage of denial.
    So very me too.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've switched from weighing in every Friday morning to once a month to make sure I'm staying in my range. So far so good.

I rely on taking my measurements and the way my non-stretchable clothes fit (like skinny jeans) to make sure I'm staying on track. Also I can tell by observing my hands and ankles if I need to dial things back a little bit.

During the holidays, special events or birthday's etc. I do weigh before and after. It's way too easy to get off track, and so I haven't gained.

I tried not weighing as much early on in maintenance and it didn't work. I ended up putting on around 7 lbs right before my eyes.

Now that some time has passed, I've learned more about my body, tried different things and figured out what works for me so I haven't experienced any weight gain this go around.

Going from daily to weekly (early on) weigh-ins, then weekly to month has been so incredibly freeing!
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I stopped my weekly weigh in because it was too stressful for me. I started taking measurements and will only weigh in on the first Friday of the month.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Once a week is all I weigh (if that). I have a FitBit and track faithfully, so I already have a good idea of what kind of deficit I have been running. The weigh ins are just to keep MFP on track with how many calories it thinks I should be consuming.
  • tremroy1
    tremroy1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Once a week is enough. We are the cause of our weight gain, not the scale. The scale is an important tool in keeping track of our progress. The scale is not the problem it's us....Doctors use the scale to help their patients...why should we fear the results. When it shows a weight loss we are happy.....good thing.....if you feel like you have cheated then you fear the results of this and the scale. There is no such thing as cheating.....just eating more than is necessary to feed the body. We make bad decisions about types of food and quantity and we then feel bad and we feel this is cheating. This is likely a case of overeating. Maintenance requires planning......some effort required but the results are great.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself maybe once a month if that, I just found weighing myself all the time was starting to drive me crazy. I'm consistently losing weight quite slowly now esp as I'm now lifting. But my body is changing all the time and I've just gone down a dress size. Every couple of months or so I use one of those scales that also measures BMI ,body fat etc and I keep all the slips as a reminder of my progress. I'm less focused on how much I weigh now which is healthier for me.
  • Ramen237
    Ramen237 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I stopped my weekly weigh in because it was too stressful for me. I started taking measurements and will only weigh in on the first Friday of the month.

I stopped for the same reason. I'll weigh in in 2 weeks or so, when I come back from my vacation to Maine. It'll keep me on my toes while in Maine :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I weighed weekly when losing the weight, now i'm maintaining it's monthly. I feel better for it tbh.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    yep
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I can't stop weighing myself altogether. Last time I did that, it was the start of a long trip to 300 pounds.

I only weigh myself once or twice a month now, though. The scale is one of many tools - including food logging, exercise, how my clothes fit - that keeps me maintaining.