Why do we sabotage ourselves??

Options
Feeling disheartened weights all over the place....:( last year when I started this it felt like it flowed I was getting good steady results and the weight was coming off....I started back at college which limited me and put weight back on due to irregular eating patterns and lack of exercise....Started again in January was running regular then injured my foot which put me right back to square one now I just can't seem to flow anymore :( I want it to be a part of who I am, some days I'm fighting with myself to get up and do it and I don't know why......?? I want this so why am I sabotaging myself??

Replies

• Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    It's just something you will find most of us go through. It can be hard to stick to a strict routine day after day week after week etc. iv lost heaps of weight then put it back on numerous times. But you just gotta keep at it and force yourself to do it. And eventually it will be part of who you are. Nowadays all the training I do and being strict on my diet just feels like a normal everyday thing for me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    It hard for a lot people to come to terms with their new image and live up to that image....expectations are fraught with doubt.
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It hard for a lot people to come to terms with their new image and live up to that image....expectations are fraught with doubt.

I suppose they are, maybe I'm expecting to much to fast, 1st time round my head was in a different place maybe I should focus on getting my head round it first and the rest will follow..!
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's just something you will find most of us go through. It can be hard to stick to a strict routine day after day week after week etc. iv lost heaps of weight then put it back on numerous times. But you just gotta keep at it and force yourself to do it. And eventually it will be part of who you are. Nowadays all the training I do and being strict on my diet just feels like a normal everyday thing for me.

Your right of course.....I just suppose on reflection I've had so much on my mind I've lost focus and become discouraged or maybe just expecting to much! I think I need to prioritise my time better to fit everything in ty
  • shaxmath
    shaxmath Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a tough decision to make in the first place but then you actually do it and make good on it but then you stop and it might pile back on without you meaning for it to do so and eventually, when your workload lessens and you make up your mind to get back to it, you look in the mirror and things are more like before you started working out than after. It's enough to discourage anyone, it happened to me last year. I'd done good for 2-3 months and then stopped while my exams were on in June, I didn't get back into it until late August and even then, trying to stick it out was hard but I went at it long enough for it to become a habit again and I've been careful not to let it lapse again since then. But anyway whatever happens, this is a life change so you'll have your ups and downs but if you want it, and I know you do, you'll get back up soon enough. Just don't let anything take you down. You started college because you wanted a better life, right? And you're almost done. The exercise is another way of bettering your life and you'll stick to it, just breathe a bit until your workload lessens. (:
  • WorkInProgress323
    Options
    Feeling disheartened weights all over the place....:( last year when I started this it felt like it flowed I was getting good steady results and the weight was coming off....I started back at college which limited me and put weight back on due to irregular eating patterns and lack of exercise....Started again in January was running regular then injured my foot which put me right back to square one now I just can't seem to flow anymore :( I want it to be a part of who I am, some days I'm fighting with myself to get up and do it and I don't know why......?? I want this so why am I sabotaging myself??

I wish I had the answer to that. I didn't hurt any part of my body and I sabotage myself constantly.

Maybe you enjoyed running so much that you're angry that you have to change your exercise regimen? Anything sets me off and I am doing everything in my power to change my mindset... not easy!!

What are you doing to sabotage yourself?

Good luck sweetie. Think positive thoughts.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    you pose a good question. I think there are a few answers depending on the person. I find dieting is like goal setting..it makes me feel accomplished and when I see results and get near my goal.. i subconsciously think…"now what?" and I regain some weight back. It is ridiculous.

I also think some get in a "fitness" mindset that can't be achieved when other priorities come into play..like work, school, and life's challenges. As if we have to have 100 percent dedication to the diet and if anything comes into play..we blow it up and come back to it later.

I often hear the word "balance" "life style change" they sound so cliche but that is what is needed to really make this work.
  • FTF2014
    FTF2014 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes we just want results too fast and when you don't get them it crushes us. As long as we beat it into our heads that this will take time but we will succeed then we will start to win. I hope all of you accomplish the goals that you set out to do!!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    We don't want what we say we want as much as we think. We say we want to be healthier, or more attractive, but those goals seem too distant compared to whatever is tempting in the moment.

That's the core reason. Everything else is a symptom. For example, not setting aside time for exercise isn't the reason, it's a symptom of not really being committed.
  • SuperShell0812
    Options
    That is a good question. Weight loss is really simple in theory--create a calorie deficet through food, exercise or both, be consistent and that's basically it. I think sometimes in a desperate attempt to lose weight fast people try to go to extremes and restrict certain foods or food groups and that isn't sustainable in the long run. It has to be a lifestyle change not just a temporary fix. And yes I've been guilty of sabotaging myself. In the end though I ask myself why. I don't care if it's Christmas or a party every time I go overboard I always feel extremely awful and the food is never worth it. I think it's because I see certain foods as bad and that make them more appealing then they really are.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it's Christmas or a party every time I go overboard I always feel extremely awful and the food is never worth it.

I hate it when I do this. I have the added problem that at my size, age, and activity level it's extremely easy for me to go overboard. I'm also often around people who are ignorant of calorie values and don't care about staying trim so they're a terrible influence. Add alcohol -- and I usually want a drink at gatherings where there's a lot of fancy food -- and that lowers my inhibitions.
  • Ratches
    Ratches Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I get tired , board , lonely and feel that I deserve a treat - start with a glass of wine and next thing you know - half bottle is done, so is the cheese and crackers and sometimes some peperoni....

But I am getting better at not beating myself up and just starting again the next day or the next meal....

Every day is going to be a new opportunity to change.

Stay positive.

Good Luck

Rachelle
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself of why I started and how I felt when I started in the first place and when I think about that long and hard enough... the feeling and motivation comes back.

I also remind myself that while I am on this journey I have to make sure and keep some balance so that I can maintain my new lifestyle and progress but also ENJOY my new, fit, me. What is the point of getting here if I can't enjoy it.

When it comes to cravings, snacking, etc. After a while you'll find that most of that fades away as other things become habit. However, I never reward myself with food or think to myself that I "deserve" a food treat. When I accomplish something and feel I deserve a reward or a treat, I'll go out and buy a pair of shoes or new clothing.

I remind myself of the various matra's and motivational sayings a lot like... Nothing tastes as good a being fit / skinny feels. What is more important, the food you have craved for an hour or the body you have wanted for a lifetime. Stop starting over, etc, etc...

If and when I don't feel like working out or working at my fitness, which is hardly ever. I just tell myself "NO" and remove the thought from my head ASAP. Get changed and go. I am always happy once I'm into it and always happy that I did it after.

I think the most important thing I did in order to make my new life style stick was to literally change many of my outside influences. In other words... I thought about who in my life was either negative, toxic, sarcastic and/or just not on the same page as me. In some cases it was hard to do but little by little I removed these people and/or things from my life. I now surround myself with ONLY people who are like minded, on the same page as me, positive, all working toward goals and who are all heading in the same direction. It doesn't matter what direction that is, as long as it's FORWARD. Doing that has made the biggest difference in my life and has made it easy to stick to my plan.