Advice about Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred?

Options
I am about to start Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. I have heard it produces really good results.

My question is: is it more effective if you actually do it every day, or if you take rest days? I tried the first workout once a few months ago and my muscles were just ridiculously sore afterwards, to the point where it was hard to even walk around for a few days. I know that muscles need time to rest, but I hear of a lot of people doing this workout every day so that they actually get huge results in 30 days.

But what I have been doing (that has been working very well so far) is working out and zigzagging calories. I work out every other day, and on these days I eat 1800-2000 calories. On the days in between when I don't work out, it's 1200-1400 calories.

I'm looking for results as fast as possible, so would I get these results continuing to do what I'm doing and just incorporating the 30 Day Shred into my workout days, or should I just do the 30 Day Shred every day for maximum results? Even if I did it every day, I'm thinking I would just do it 6 days a week and take one day per week as a rest day.

Replies

• armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Following!
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do this every second day buti also walk around five miles a day in addition.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I tried to do this every day but initially I had such bad DOMS that I had to stop for a day to let my muscles recover. Just do it as often as possible but more than 3 times a week.

It's a good workout. The most rewarding part is finding the stuff you found really hard to begin with get easier.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    After the first day I literally took a week off as my legs were so sore (old quad injury) then I restarted and am doing it every day, no problem. But I plan on having 1 rest day per week, I just think that makes sense.

Make sure you stretch properly afterwards, especially if you are getting sore. Her stretches are in no way sufficient imo.
  • Blowing_Daisies
    Blowing_Daisies Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get good results with 30 day shred, The idea is not to miss a day if your hurting and aching go for the easier workout but push yourself to see results and you will get more defined and toned.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I like doing the 30DS but have had little luck :cry:

I started 1st time and got to L1 D5 with no real problems except that an old wrist injury blew up (push ups are the pits). My wrist was really swollen so I decided to stop and use other videos. After a few weeks I had another go - with modified push ups. It was fine until D7 when my calf muscle went into spasm and I couldn't walk on it properly for a week - I think that may have been cos I did it in bare feet!

Now I have started again from the beginning as I know I will not be able to move to L2 in a couple of days. I always do it 6 days a week, usually having Saturday off.

Here's hoping
  • amymorris52438
    Options
    Today was my fifth day of the 30 Day Shred! I weighed myself today and i have already dropped from 8stone 13lbs to 8stone 10lbs! So it is definitely working! I have found Jillians voice is very annoying so i mute and play my own music! Definitely going to keep going!
  • freakazoid101
    Options
    I'm on day 7 of the 30 day shred! I've lost 8 inches overall, though not any weight. Myself and my SO decided it was time to stop having dessert with every meal.

Good luck everyone! If anyone wants an accountability buddy just add me!
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 7 of the 30 day shred! I've lost 8 inches overall, though not any weight. Myself and my SO decided it was time to stop having dessert with every meal.

Good luck everyone! If anyone wants an accountability buddy just add me!

8 inches in 7 days is pretty good - well done.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important, not just for muscle repair, but sustainability. Jillian herself recommends taking 1-2 days off per week and most personal trainers appear to agree!
  • meganfoster12
    meganfoster12 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I take sundays off; choose 1 day a week
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I did it 5x per week and walked 30 minutes the same days. Worked well for me. It's been a while, but it was definitely a jump start to where I am now.
  • biba_luly
    biba_luly Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Im on day 10 and i took 2 days rest and i think it is working as after 5 days from 30 days shred i lost about 1 inch over all my body

so i think 1-2 rest days are fine

Good luck :)
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I am doing ripped in 30 with J.M. and it is the same program but with different workouts. Jillian says in the intro of the program to do it 5 to 6 days a week and then she pretty much yells that you must have one day to rest your muschles. I am on day 6 and everyday is a challenge. I just got to keep telling myself that there is an end...hoping this will jump start me to get more active this summer.
  • spiderweb12
    spiderweb12 Posts: 14
    Options
    just started day 1 of level 1 - totally underestimated how hard it would be!! do most people do other workouts on top of this??
  • katwinfree
    katwinfree Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am on Level 3 and only have a few days left. Take at least one rest day a week. I did it Mon-Fri and have seen good results. I didn't measure but can tell I'm more toned up. Good Luck!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've done 30DS a couple times in the past. The last time I did it, I was also running and biking, so I usually took off Sundays since that was my long run day and I was NOT going to run 10 miles and then do planks and mountain climbers and all kinds of crazy things ;) I found that one day off let me rest up enough that I felt stronger when I came back to it the next day. It's a fairly demanding program, so I definitely recommend a rest day. But make sure you at least do 3 days in a row when you start: you'll probably be really sore after days 1 and 2, but then it's MUCH EASIER if you just keep at it, I promise!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Everyday for maximum results. Take a rest day if you need it.
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I used to take every 5 days 1 rest day specially since i wasn't in shape, at least for the first 10 days then you see if you still need 2 days rest or just one every ten days
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend it, doing it nowadays. Short and sweet, burns a bunch of calories if you push yourself till you can push no more.
    As for results: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/932106-show-me-ur-30-day-shred-results-d?hl=30+day+shred+results