Quit smoking and turned 50 @ same time- can't lose weight!

Options
It's like there's a neon light flashing that says "you can't lose weight at 50"!
I am 5'11 female and my weight for years has always ranged 145-155 ...i am comfortable at 155 because my frame is not large. I stayed at 155 until about 48yrs of age and then started creeping up over the last year (i admit to not always eating properly)...now, i've been a non smoker for just over 2 months and have gone up to 168 as of this morning...this is the most i've ever weighed....i am horrified! I have been doing the 1200 calorie/ walking 30 minutes for over a week now and am not losing anything....I wonder if my body went into shock when i quit smoking? (after 30 yrs of smoking-) and i wonder if turning 50 dropped my metab down to ZERO or something? I had a complete hysterectomy in 2004 so that's 10 yrs ago....gained about 3-4 then... I do not take any HRTs or anything else...
what am i doing wrong? I don't want to be driven to start smoking again....i know smoking burns more....but i also don't want to be over weight....i am miserable with these extra few pounds! I would be happy at 150-155 again.....
ps...yes, i'm impatient...extremely....i need to drop these 15-18 lbs immediately...ha

Replies

• alison990
    alison990 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 44 and stopped smoking and gained weight! Have you tried e cigs? They helped me and you can vape sweet flavoured e juice when you feel hungry! Don't go back on real cigs! MFP halted my weight gain, reversed it and now I'm only 2 lbs away from my goal weight. I am stuck at a plateau right now but fellow members have just helped me. Weigh your food! I was reminded...
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    If you've truly been doing this for a while now (1200 calories + 30 min walking), it's time to make a change. No insult intended when I say this, but it's very easy to miscalculate how much you consume or burn. Most people on this web site, in my experience, will tell you to get a heart rate monitor (with chest strap, not just the watch) to help be more accurate with your workouts. People also recommend getting a scale and weighing out your food portions, to be more accurate.

I'm lazy, so I just overestimate what I eat and underestimate what I burn. Do whatever works for you, but keep up the patience and keep at it. Still not losing weight after another month? Maybe reduce your caloric intake to slightly less and keep adjusting until it works. Also, probably time to up the intensity / duration of your workouts, if you want this whole process to move more quickly. The most, most, most important thing is being consistent and logging everything. We can be good all week long, but don't track on Saturday / Sunday. We typically wind up eating back or over the deficit we earned over the week. It's astounding, but not logging and keeping yourself accountable really hurts your progress.

As for the smoking (currently trying to quit after... made it three months before we started again), I doubt your body is in any kind of shock. Even if it is, you'll recover. Just keep with it and be consistent and hold yourself accountable. No offense at al to alison990, but I wouldn't do e-cigs. In my personal experience, it only keeps you smoking or causes you to revert back to regular cigarettes. Just stay quit and feel great about yourself for it. And good for you for wanting to get in better shape.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Here's some bluntness coming, so....yea, buckle up.

With the attitude portrayed in your message, you aren't going to be successful. Note that I didn't say you CAN'T...because you CAN (just not with the "I want these lbs off right now" mentality). I am no medical professional, but it is my understanding that when long time smokers stop smoking it is common to put on a bit of weight. Since you are on this site, my advice would be to use it to it's fullest. Weigh and measure all your food. Cuz seriously, there is no way you are truly eating only 1200 cals a day and gaining weight. That just isn't happening. Not that you are lying or anything, just that you are probably taking in more calories than you realize. Also, no magic button gets pushed on the day you turn 50 to halt your metabolism.

Here's the good news...you quite smoking!! Good for you. That's a HUGE achievement, and one that you shouldn't question because of a few pounds. The weight can come off, you just have to get yourself dedicated to it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking!

How much is your calorie deficit?

I have your TDEE totaled over 2000 and that is if you are only walking a few times a week. By that alone you should be eating more. 1200 calories is hardly enough for a lady your height.

I also wouldn't pay attention to the scale as much as a tape measure.

You might also want to look into a food scale to give you accurate calorie count if you haven't already.
  • Ravenredhed
    Ravenredhed Posts: 11
    Options
    forgive me, new to this..never have dieted before...what is MTP?
  • Ravenredhed
    Options
    No, i don't need ecigs...thank you. I have done fine and have no desire for a cig...however, i'm flippin out over being this heavy..i know it's nothing compared to most on this site...but for me, (i've always had a thin figure)...this is awful for me when you're not used to it..or have never had to work out or do anything to be and remain thin. too vain, i know....i just feel better and look better without this little tummy....
  • Ravenredhed
    Options
    thank you all for your advice....i will take it to heart and try something different....
  • Ravenredhed
    Options
    What is TDEE at over 2000? i have no idea what you're talking about...thanks
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You said you've only been doing it for over a week. Give it a month or two and see if you notice any differences. It didn't take you only 1 week to gain the weight so it won't be lost in 1 week.
  • Ravenredhed
    Options
    You said you've only been doing it for over a week. Give it a month or two and see if you notice any differences. It didn't take you only 1 week to gain the weight so it won't be lost in 1 week.

ok, i figured i would lose a pound or two but i did splurge and eat some peanut butter cookies i made...but i had such a deficit, i thought i could eat a few and it not hurt...i guess i need to give up sweets period ! i am more addicted to sweets than anything else...it's VERY hard for me..
    thanks
  • terriveller
    terriveller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking. Had the same problem, quit smoking in January, gained 13 pounds back, post menopausal...now back on track. I have lost the extra weight and heading toward my first goal. Take things one at a time. Quitting smoking is critical to weight loss, after a few months your breathing improves and you will be able to exercise a lot easier. The weight will drop again. It just takes time. Good luck on your journey.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Make sure you drink enough water and eat as much real food as possible. By real food I mean fresh cooked ingredients not microwave or set meals and takeaways. As a general rule the more processing food has done to you the worse it is for you. Not that you need to be obsessed with this. But A policy of limiting processed foods is very helpful. As they are usually naturally lower calorie AND have a greater nutritional content. Which means a lot less hunger. Doesn't mean you can't eat processed foods just keep it under control :)

Also here is the lowdown on metabolism. There are many calculators for this available but basically you input you height and weight, age and gender And the calculator gives you a number of calories. BMR calculators calculate the basal metabolic rate. Which is the number of calories you burn each day just being alive. TDEE calculators take your physical activity level into account. And calculate the amount of total calories you burn a day. In general you should eat somewhere between your TDEE and your BMR to lose weight healthily. If you eat under your BMR your body will lack the nutrients and calories to perform basic functions and your health and in some cases your weight loss rate will suffer. Losing too fast can also leave you with ugly hanging skin. Personally I would take someone who is a bit chubby over someone that looks like droopy the dog any day. Eating under your TDEE is required to be in a calorie deficit. Eating at your TDEE Is what you do when you want to maintain your current weight.

Most people recommend subtracting your BMR from your TDEE dividing that number by 2 and then subtracting the new number from your TDEE.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

ok, i figured i would lose a pound or two but i did splurge and eat some peanut butter cookies i made...but i had such a deficit, i thought i could eat a few and it not hurt...i guess i need to give up sweets period ! i am more addicted to sweets than anything else...it's VERY hard for me..
    thanks

You don't need to give up any foods, really. Since you're new to the site, I'll warn you about posting like that. If you post "should I give up carbs" or sweets or alcohol or anything, just about everyone will jump your butt and scream that it doesn't matter what you eat, it matters how much. CICO stands for calories in, calories out. If you eat fewer than you burn in a day, you will lose weight, period. Eat the cookies, just track them.

TDEE stands for total daily energy expenditure. There are tons of web sites that let you plug in your age, weight, height, activity level, etc. to calculate how much you need to maintain weight, how much you need to lose, and how much you need to gain. Like others have said, if you were truly netting 1200 calories / day after exercise, you would be losing weight. I swear to you up and down, it's about being consistent EVERY DAY until you get to where you want to be. Those little treats you sneak, but don't log, truly add up. It's the reason I'm back to this weight and wanting to lose again.

We can save the conversations about making a permanent lifestyle change for later. Ultimately, you would want to really figure out your TDEE and not eat too much beneath it, making this less of a "diet" and more of an adjustment to your lifestyle that you'll want to keep forever, in order to keep you healthy.
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use e-cigs. You are just extending your addiction. If you must... maybe chew gum when you want a cig till the nicotine craving subsides??? I was a smoker... and I am 62 now. This weight thing seems to be age-stage of life thing and I bet most of us in this age range will agree.

And... your body has to adjust to the change in your metabolism now that you are not smoking. So... the option of being impatient is probably not one of your choices.

When you need to kick start you can drop your carbs and up your proteins. That means you may not be able to do the MFP perfectly. Also, some people have had good luck with programs where you order the food etc, like Medifast or the one Osmond advertises on TV.That eliminates the need for you to have to make choices outside of what the program offers except maybe for an evening lean and green meal.They cost money and it would not be worth it unless you are willing to follow them exactly... no cheating!!

Also... rather than leaping into a major exercise program you can just increase the amount of energy you expend in small ways, like keep the tv remote on the other side of the room so that you have to get up and change the channel, if you are putting laundry away... make numerous trips back and forth instead of one, keep your house really clean :-) but these are issues that have research to support them.

Good luck my friend. OK, it is 9:00 AM, time for my morning vacuum. (joking... :-) )
  • Alamo0809
    Alamo0809 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is great advise. Up the water intake and expend more energy-calories cooking healthy food. The issue of water is especially important as you cleanse your body of the cigarette poisons.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    5 years ago I joined a gym and then two weeks later quit smoking.....5 years later I have lost 25 pounds and can run like the wind.
  • Ravenredhed
    Options
    Make sure you drink enough water and eat as much real food as possible. By real food I mean fresh cooked ingredients not microwave or set meals and takeaways. As a general rule the more processing food has done to you the worse it is for you. Not that you need to be obsessed with this. But A policy of limiting processed foods is very helpful. As they are usually naturally lower calorie AND have a greater nutritional content. Which means a lot less hunger. Doesn't mean you can't eat processed foods just keep it under control :)

Also here is the lowdown on metabolism. There are many calculators for this available but basically you input you height and weight, age and gender And the calculator gives you a number of calories. BMR calculators calculate the basal metabolic rate. Which is the number of calories you burn each day just being alive. TDEE calculators take your physical activity level into account. And calculate the amount of total calories you burn a day. In general you should eat somewhere between your TDEE and your BMR to lose weight healthily. If you eat under your BMR your body will lack the nutrients and calories to perform basic functions and your health and in some cases your weight loss rate will suffer. Losing too fast can also leave you with ugly hanging skin. Personally I would take someone who is a bit chubby over someone that looks like droopy the dog any day. Eating under your TDEE is required to be in a calorie deficit. Eating at your TDEE Is what you do when you want to maintain your current weight.

Most people recommend subtracting your BMR from your TDEE dividing that number by 2 and then subtracting the new number from your TDEE.

ok, thank you.! i did those two calculators....1500 BMR and 2200 TDEE...i am pretty certain that i always have been in between those two numbers until recently when i've gone below this....i still wasn't losing weight really. I think it's because i never had more than 10lbs to lose...i don't have a lot of body fat...people look at me and think i could gain weight but i'm not happy with the little extra that i have. I do not eat fast food, drive thru's etc...not ever! I will have a pizza about 4 times a year...no hamburgers/nothing fried...etc...it's amazing with the way that i eat, that i don't drop weight easily...that leads me to believe it's my age, and the quitting smoking thing....so, thank you so much for your help...i will keep trying and give it more time..
  • Ravenredhed
    Options
    thank you very much! i did the calculators....i appreciate your advice. :)
  • Ravenredhed
    Options
    i have noticed my energy level big time already but it might be because i'm jogging lightly and walking briskly at an incline...to jumpstart my metabolism each day...:) you're an inspiration if your my age range and have managed to do what you've done...awesome! congrats and thank you!
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Here's some bluntness coming, so....yea, buckle up.

With the attitude portrayed in your message, you aren't going to be successful. Note that I didn't say you CAN'T...because you CAN (just not with the "I want these lbs off right now" mentality). I am no medical professional, but it is my understanding that when long time smokers stop smoking it is common to put on a bit of weight. Since you are on this site, my advice would be to use it to it's fullest. Weigh and measure all your food. Cuz seriously, there is no way you are truly eating only 1200 cals a day and gaining weight. That just isn't happening. Not that you are lying or anything, just that you are probably taking in more calories than you realize. Also, no magic button gets pushed on the day you turn 50 to halt your metabolism.

Here's the good news...you quite smoking!! Good for you. That's a HUGE achievement, and one that you shouldn't question because of a few pounds. The weight can come off, you just have to get yourself dedicated to it.

This. ^^^^^^ Also, YOU CAN lose weight after 50! (I'm 54) but it takes a bit more dedication. WEIGH YOUR FOOD!!!! Overestimating or failing to count the little nibbles is what derailed me in the beginning. Log EVERYTHING and you'll probably be surprised at how many calories you are really eating.