Is losing 15lbs in 6 weeks realistic?

oXGetFitBabeXo
oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
I am in 2 weddings in June and i was wondering how realistic it would be to lose 15lbs in 5 to 6 weeks.. is it realistic?

Replies

• elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    All you can do is try and see what happens
  • JodieSmith15
    JodieSmith15 Posts: 40 Member
    Don't worry so much about the number. Eat at a deficit and exercise, you'll see results in the mirror in June.
  • abetterbrandi
    abetterbrandi Posts: 131
    Not for your weight. Thats over 2lbs a week and you dont have that much to lose. Typically people with your amount to lose shoot for .5 lb a week.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Only if you are obese, which according to your ticker you are not. I would probably aim for 4-6 lbs instead.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    To be perfectly honest, not really. Everyone is different so I don't want to speak in absolutes, but that borders on unhealthy weight loss for people much larger than you are. I would not expect to be able to lose more than 5-10lbs in that time. To counter that (and look great at those weddings), I would try to tone up with some lifting and strength training. There are lots of workouts online that you can do at home if you don't have a gym membership.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Not realistic. With 20lbs to lose, you'd be aiming for more 0.5-1lb/week loss. If you are consistent, you could lose 3-6lbs in those 6 weeks.

but it sounds more like a body composition thing versus the actual scale number. If you aren't already doing strength training, it'd be a good time to start. You won't see major changes in 6 weeks, but it'd be better than just doing cardio and losing those lbs and no inches.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    My 6 week goal would be 150 to 135.. i mean if i lost 2lbs a week i could total out at 12lbs which is still good.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    I'm not aiming to lose all 20, Just 15 for now.. Or at least 12.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    I would say it's possible, but not probable. 0-2 pounds is considered a healthy rate of weight loss.

Hit the ground running and see what happens. If you're eating better and exercising, you will at least lose inches.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    maybe if you ate exactly 1200 calories every day haha but even then i don't know. I wouldn't want to try it
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    If you haven't already been dieting it can definitely be done. Just expect it to come right back.

I had to lose 15lb and 3" before my wedding to fit in my dress. I had a week and a half to do it.

I did a low carb low fat and got it done... mind you,... it came right back after.

I don't advice this as a healthy way of losing weight, I had much less time than you do to get there. In 6 weeks, you should be able to get there in a much healthier way. Just exercise and go low carb. The first pounds will go the fastest.

If you have been losing weight for a while it won't go that fast.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Thanks all!!!! I dont expect to lose all 15 (at least 12 would be fine for now) and i'm not going to starve myself but i figured i'd give it a shot!
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    I lost weight for a while.. started gaining it back.. now i want to lose again..
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    I recommend just doing your best and not setting goals that may be unrealistic for your current size. When we set expectations and then don't hit them, we tend to get discouraged which causes us to lose focus. Do your best each day and let the scale do whatever it does.

But, hey, if you can average 2 lb loss per week for 6 weeks, more power to you :)

and I'm not saying this is the healthiest way to do it....and any loss may not be sustainable....but here's your outline for max weight loss over the next 6 weeks....

nutrition:

weeks 1 and 2 ... eat only veggies and drink only water. You can have as many veggies as you want, cooked or raw. Get A LOT of veggies. After a few days, your body will adjust. You will have to deal with boredom, sure, but you will be satiated.

weeks 3-6..... same as weeks 1 and 2, but also add 8 ounces of chicken breast or turkey breast per day.

workout:

sprint interval training 3x per week (no more than this, and don't add to the sprint interval training on those days). You're going to do 8-12 intervals that look like this. Go outside. Do a 15 second sprint where you're going all out, pushing from your butt. If you do the sprint correctly, you should be gassed within 15 seconds. If you're not pushing hard enough, you're not doing the sprint correctly. The idea is to get to near max HR for proper HIIT. After doing the sprint, do a bodyweight exercise (i.e., pushups, air squats, burpees, step ups, plank, etc.) Then rest until your HR drops below 130. Then do another interval. So you're going to do 8-12 intervals that look like this... 15 second sprint + bodyweight exercise + rest. Rest will be the longest part of each interval, and that's the way HIIT works. That's the entire workout. Do not do this on back to back days. Oh, and before you start the workout, stretch your hips, quads, hamstrings, calves and Achilles (the downward dog position where you peddle your feet is great for calves and Achilles).

You really don't need to do any other workout than the sprint interval training. but if you want to add a moderate paced cardio workout like jogging or biking or swimming 1-2 days per week, that's fine. Not necessary though....and make sure you're getting at least 2 rest days per week.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Thats true! Thank you!

Gym 5 days a week with 2 rest days... No weekend cocktails i can do it!
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    I'm down 15lbs in almost 4 weeks.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Sure, if you have 100+ pounds to lose.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Not quite!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    You're missing the part where we're telling you that 2 lbs/week at your weight is unrealistic. That's too large of a deficit, and you've got about a 90% chance of a crash and burn happening at that deficit. I don't think you want to end up weighing MORE in 6 weeks than you do now because you couldn't stick to your deficit.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    sure, just work your *kitten* off. Eat at a deficit. you'll lose. but realistically you'll probably loose closer to 10.