When cooking with herbs...

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
...and a recipe calls for a cup of basil, would that be a cup of stuffed, packed in the cup basil? Or just loose basil, which I'm imagining wouldn't be very much. The recipe is for pesto.

Might be a silly question, but you can't learn until you ask, right? :laugh:

Replies

• rayflana
    Options
    For pesto, they are talking about a cup of fresh basil (leaf part.)

FYI, I make my homemade pesto with sunflower seeds, instead of pine nuts. (Sunflower seeds are about $1.99/lb.... pine nuts are $8.99/lb....) Same texture and consistency using sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts.
  • toots99
    Options
    For pesto, they are talking about a cup of fresh basil (leaf part.)

FYI, I make my homemade pesto with sunflower seeds, instead of pine nuts. (Sunflower seeds are about $1.99/lb.... pine nuts are $8.99/lb....) Same texture and consistency using sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts.

Right. So my question is, do I pack it in the cup and measure it that way, which would therefore be a lot more basil than if it was just placed in there loosely?
  • rayflana
    Options
    I usually pack the basil in pretty tight. You can always add more olive oil, etc... to thin out the basil....
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    yes, pack it, pesto takes A LOT of basil :)
  • toots99
    Options
    Thanks! Do you think the same applies for most recipes?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I usually do not measure herbs, just eye ball them. Pesto for instance I would use the entire bunch I bought at the store and just add the oil until I get to the consistency I like.
  • LisaGamerGirl
    Options
    i think so! :) i do like @GorillaNJ and eyeball them. i'm done with measuring foods haha!