Is losing 15lbs in 6 weeks realistic?

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    From most absurd to least absurd, it is realistic. Please stick with me as we go:

You could cut off limbs. You would absolutely lose the numbers. You probably don't want that.

You could drastically undereat. You would lose a lot of muscle tissue relative to fat tissue, and you wouldn't look very pretty once you had lost it. You would have saggy flesh and would still look the same weight, just 'weigh less'. You don't want that.

You could exercise like crazy, go on diueretics/water pills, laxatives, etc. You would lose lots of water weight. You would feel sick. You would look slightly slimmer than the above two examples because you would cut a little water - however you would look a bit aged as well, and all those numbers would come back fast.

Unfortunately I think your true goal is to look lke you weigh sixteen pounds less rather than actually weigh sixteen pounds less. The best thing you could do to acheive this objective is a mix of cardiovascular and challenging strength work (low rep, high weight), stay hydrated, fuel your body with a good mix of foods, and get plenty of sleep.

The final prescription, there, has little to do with losing sixteen pounds fast. By following that approach, however, you will look your best - that is the path to look as good as possible. And if you maintain that regimen for six weeks straight, I promise that the results will surprise and please you.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    oXGetFitBabeXo Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    THank you!

I am aiming for the inches to go more less so then the weight :)

Consistency is the key!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am in 2 weddings in June and i was wondering how realistic it would be to lose 15lbs in 5 to 6 weeks.. is it realistic?

Nope, not when you only have 20lb to lose in total.
  • aaronpereira
    aaronpereira Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    INSANITY :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You're missing the part where we're telling you that 2 lbs/week at your weight is unrealistic. That's too large of a deficit, and you've got about a 90% chance of a crash and burn happening at that deficit. I don't think you want to end up weighing MORE in 6 weeks than you do now because you couldn't stick to your deficit.

Right! Everyone says 0.5 or 1lb at the most and she's just going to bypass and head for the 2lbs week goal..even though, again, it's unrealistic.

*smh*

Why even bother asking?
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Negative comments will be deleted or reported.

If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say it at all.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

It's a public forum. And what I said was true. You have everyone giving you the answer you need, but you are going to just do what you want so why can't I ask why you even asked if you are just going to ignore everything?
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    Not everyone has been giving the same answer.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

telling you that your goals are unrealistic is positive in that we are trying to help you.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    In order to lose 2lbs a week, you'd have to be at a 1000 cal deficit a day. Seeing as you don't have that much to lose..that kind of deficit isn't realistic nor healthy. And if you actually managed to stick to something like that, 6 weeks is enough time to end up making yourself sick.

Granted, you could lose a lot of water weight but it's not going to affect your appearance in the way you think those 15lbs off is going to because of how fast you are trying to do it. And there is a high chance that you'll just end up gaining it back anyways, if you don't end up going on a binge and gaining even more.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You're missing the part where we're telling you that 2 lbs/week at your weight is unrealistic. That's too large of a deficit, and you've got about a 90% chance of a crash and burn happening at that deficit. I don't think you want to end up weighing MORE in 6 weeks than you do now because you couldn't stick to your deficit.

I think the OP has decided to ignore anyone who's giving factual advice that she doesn't agree with.

OP in 6 weeks you can expect to lose 3-6 pounds (I'm assuming some water weight loss in there). It may not be the big loss that you want. But I hope that you'll trust those of us who have crash dieted for an event when we tell you that it's better to do this the healthy way so that you look and feel as good as possible at your event instead of crash dieting and feeling lethargic and grumpy when you get there.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't get started, though. You can still make a difference. Set a reasonable goal. Start a resistance training routine (something like Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting) and you can make changes to how your body looks and how you feel.

This is my list of posts that I recommend for anyone new to the boards:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    If you want to push it, go for 1lb per week. And that's the absolute most. You only want to lose 20 pounds total which would normally warrant a .5lb loss per week but 1lb per week could be attainable. I would say though after the 6 weeks go down to .5 lb, it'll be a ton easier to lose and easier to keep off.
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have lost 12 in 5.5weeks, BUT I have 40ish overall to lose
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's not realistic to lose at that rate -

Lose what you can realistically and exercise so that what you are losing is FAT and not muscle. It'll make a bigger difference in your clothes - and that is what people see.

In 6 weeks time you should be able to lose some inches (I lost them the fastest at the beginning) even though the scale may not move much.

Best of luck
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    I think for now i'll aim for 8lbs in 6 weeks assuming 3 is already water weight factored in and see what happens from there.

Also expecting to lose more inches than weight.

Thanks all.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

telling you that your goals are unrealistic is positive in that we are trying to help you.

Agreed!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Oh, so you have mod powers now to delete comments? This is also an unrealistic expectation.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

Well in that case, it's a stupid and dangerous goal.
  • oXGetFitBabeXo
    Options
    I think for now i'll aim for 8lbs in 6 weeks assuming 3 is already water weight factored in and see what happens from there.

Also expecting to lose more inches than weight.

Thanks all.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think you probably could but I would worry that you'll feel like crap. I want to lose the weight too and I keep thinking if I can just get to the 140s. I eat very little, workout and then feel like crap and super crabby!

I've learned it's not worth it. The body is going to do what it is going to do.

I encourage you to workout and eat right within your calories and keep at and let your body do what it needs to. Pushing too hard will not get you the results you crave, trust me I've tried.