Pictures can really take away your motivation

Options
Hi all. I have been working out regularly and weighing my food, etc... since the beginning of April. I have lost a few pounds and was really feeling good about my self. My confidence and motivation were high until Saturday when my daughter had prom. We took lots of pictures and I was thoroughly disgusted with how I looked. I know I'm overweight but why do we look different to ourselves in the mirror? It kind of just threw my whole mojo out of balance. Trying to dust myself off and get back to it but for some reason I'm a lot more self conscious of how I look at the gym working out now. Anyone experience anything similar?

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    That is totally normal. What you have to do is draw on your emotions from seeing those pictures. Remember how you felt when you saw them and use that to change things....to keep pushing. And then as you continue on, each set of pictures will look different and you can continue to draw on that for inspiration.

You have to dislike the way that you felt enough to make a lasting change and to keep going.

You can do it :smile:
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about that this morning. I like how I look in the mirror sometimes, but can't stand the way I look in pictures. It's a cool topic to research. But I find while it's disheartening, pictures really motivate me to stay on track. I feel a little self conscious like you in the gym sometimes, but ultimately, I try to let it spur me on!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am a professional photographer, you look different mostly because of the angle of the camera (even a slight angle up -- if the photographer is shorter than you -- can make you look wider than you are, angled down can make you look squatter and shorter) and your body (facing the camera can make you look wider, turning too much to the side can make you appear wider and lumpy) plus lighting (harsh lighting will highlight "flaws").

Don't be too discouraged.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about that this morning. I like how I look in the mirror sometimes, but can't stand the way I look in pictures. It's a cool topic to research. But I find while it's disheartening, pictures really motivate me to stay on track. I feel a little self conscious like you in the gym sometimes, but ultimately, I try to let it spur me on!

Your pictures look great....You have clearly done a great job :drinker: :smokin:

OP....I would comment on your pics....but you have none :flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Use it as extra motivation to lose the weight. I have a family picture in the living room that was taken at my highest weight... it's a huge reminder and push when I need it.
  • theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Your pictures look great....You have clearly done a great job :drinker: :smokin:

OP....I would comment on your pics....but you have none :flowerforyou:
    Thank you! I can only see your profile pic but you look nice too!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue with mirrors. Some mirrors make me smile when I see my reflection. And others make me think, "Oh my God! Why did I think I looked good in this?!"
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I am a professional photographer, you look different mostly because of the angle of the camera (even a slight angle up -- if the photographer is shorter than you -- can make you look wider than you are, angled down can make you look squatter and shorter) and your body (facing the camera can make you look wider, turning too much to the side can make you appear wider and lumpy) plus lighting (harsh lighting will highlight "flaws").

And this is why the only pictures that I've ever taken that I actually liked were taken by professionals. Candid photos, I can sometimes go back ten years later and acknowledge I looked ok, but in the moment, nope, I always look awful.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My mother just asked me for a "before" pic along with my "after" pic, and I was horrified at how I looked a few years ago. I knew I was not happy with my weight, but it is amazing how what you conceive yourself as being in the mirror compared to what a picture shows. Just use that as motivation to keep at it, that is what I did. ;-)
  • crumbtinies
    crumbtinies Posts: 29 Member
    Options

This, so many times. Pictures can do strange things, depending on lighting and angles. Mirrors can also be skewed (although sometimes in a good way ;) Go by how you feel. You were feeling great about yourself before those pictures, don't let weird lighting and angles take that away from you.