Burning 700 calories a day, eating 1,200?

Options
2»

Replies

• TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    To lose fat and lower calorie, your daily intake should be just a little more than your consumption. 1200 calorie intake is for you. Try to participate in more activities. Try to burn more calories per day. Approximately 1000. You should see the difference in a month.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    While weightloss is all about calorie deficit, you may lose more weight or less weight depending on how heavy you are, your muscle mass growth (which would increase weight), and genetics. Some people simply burn food faster than the rest of us. I burn 200 calories a day on a 500 calorie diet and it has taken me a little over 6 months to lose 30 lbs. So you can assume yours will be a little longer than mine as I net 200 calories less than you.

It all depends.
    You're consuming only 500 calories a day? Hopefully that's a misprint.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

If you do the math that is a loss of under 1.5 lbs per week so they are probably eating a lot more and burning a lot less than they think

Either that or they have screwed their metabolism completely
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    How quickly should I be able to lose 40 pounds? I'm...
    Female
    5'7
    166 pounds

Thank you :)

At the calorie deficit you are suggesting then fairly quickly...........BUT most of it will be muscle and lean mass, which is why what you are suggesting is extremely unhealthy.

Do this slowly, 0.5 to 1.0 lb per week, eat plenty of protein and do resistance exercises to preserve your muscle mass and you will still lose weight but so much more of it will be fat. Surely thats the goal here?
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    You may lose quickly but 500 net is not enough and it will come back. And then some.
  • Letshopeforthebest
    Letshopeforthebest Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    this has to be a joke, someone reassure me this person isn't netting 500 calories a day?

I don't why people are so obsessed with netting calories. Why bother to exercise and burn off 700 calories a day if your going to eat it all back? Why not just burn those calories, still eat a proper amount of food ( 1,200 calories a day) and lose weight twice as fast? I think it should be a personal choice weather to eat back your exercise calories or not.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    this has to be a joke, someone reassure me this person isn't netting 500 calories a day?

I don't why people are so obsessed with netting calories. Why bother to exercise and burn off 700 calories a day if your going to eat it all back? Why not just burn those calories, still eat a proper amount of food ( 1,200 calories a day) and lose weight twice as fast? I think it should be a personal choice weather to eat back your exercise calories or not.
    Because 1200 cals ISN'T a proper number of cals for most women....and if you're using MFP correctly, whatever daily calorie goal you're given has you at a calorie deficit already - meaning you could eat all your calories every day, do zero exercise and you'll lose weight. Burning off more cals through exercise and then not eating back any of them leaves your body with a much larger deficit, too large, which may sound like a good idea to lose weight faster, but results in losing muscle along with any fat, eventually leaving you tired, crabby, no muscle tone, messed up metabolism, screwed up hormones, hair loss, brittle nails, and the list goes on. Fun! NOT!

MFP adds the burned cals back into your goal because FOOD IS FUEL and you should be eating at least a good percentage of them back. Personal choice? Sure. I ate too little for awhile. Lost weight. Reached my first couple of goals. Body weighed less, but I was just a smaller version of my same old squishy self. And I hated trying to stick to the lower cals, and trying to have energy to burn all the cals I thought I needed to.

I eat around 2000 cals a day a lose. I workout an hour or less each day. I never ever net below my BMR (1400) - I aim to net at least a couple hundred higher than my BMR. At 2000 a day with reasonable exercise, it's not a problem. Fat comes off, muscles sticks around, body is fueled and happy. Energy is a good thing! :bigsmile: Being able to eat foods I like and still fit them into daily calories is awesome - pizza, burgers, beer, wine, cake, ice cream, etc.

Give me the sustainable fat loss that I can stick to for good. :drinker:
  • d3m1urge
    d3m1urge Posts: 38
    Options

Don't try and tell me 500 calories net a day is good for you and sustainable.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mbbyyyM3Rz1r1iotoo1_400.gif

To anyone who thinks netting 500 is okay...please seek help.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Because healthy people are not obsessed with the calorie burn but the health benefits that exercise provides. The added benefit of aiding in a deficit is a side bonus if you're trying to lose weight. Your priorities of pure weight loss are unhealthy and you should work toward fixing that mindset.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I agree that she's probably "auto wiping her brain" as you say and not accounting for binge days, otherwise she would probably be hospitalized from eating that little for so long. But I don't think she meant to say 1500 judging from her initial post and follow up post.

I have documented binge days and remember them. I have one day of eating 2500 calories,
    That's not a binge. That's a normal pigout.

You're an anorexic in denial and you need therapy.

QFT...I'd say pretty major denial.

The body is an amazing thing. Since you have been starving yourself (which yes, that's exactly what you've been doing) the body actually creates a hormone to stop hunger signals and trains itself to "survive" for a short period of time. Your body (if it hasn't already) will start pulling fuel from any source it can. So I am positive you are losing any muscle you might have, along with calcium from your bones, which could lead to early osteoporosis. You are also damaging your metabolism.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

It is a personal choice. I won't be fatigued, have poor cognitive function, lousy skin, hair falling out, and a destroyed metabolism if you choose to net 500 calories a day. I made a different choice.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

Because 1200 calories is not a "proper amount of food", but a deficit, already fewer calories than you need to maintain your weight. For instance, I need around 1500 to stay the weight I am as a lightly active, 5'2" person, so 1200 is 300 less than I need. If I burn 700 calories with exercise, I am netting only 500 calories, which is too low for someone to sustain oneself. Essentially, even eating back those calories, the person is still "netting" only 1200 calories. Most of us eat part or all of our exercise calories back.