Supplementation

Options
Hey Everyone

I was wondering if anyone on here uses supplements or fat burners to either help them get through a work out or to see results quicker.

I took lipo 6 pills last year and lost 30 lbs in two months, but they made me so sick and insanely emotional so I stopped taking them and gained the weight back almost immediately.

Right now I just take daily vitamins, fish oil and take a fat burner on the days that I work out, a couple of hours before ( I can't remember the name right now). I definitely feel like I get a much better work out in, but I don't see any major differences in results in comparison to not taking any fat burners.

Just curious as to what everyone's thoughts were!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    what is the fat burner supposed to do?
  • Skillzorz
    Skillzorz Posts: 28 Member
    Options

It's suppose to give you more energy to do more effective workouts and ultimately burn more calories. Some of them are appetite suppressents as well.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone on here uses supplements or fat burners to either help them get through a work out or to see results quicker.

See the Community Guidelines:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    im not sure if this applies to her post, shes not promoting any supplements, merely asking if anyone uses them to any effect

as for OP, i would just stick to the multivitamin and fish oil, thats what i do. fat burners may or may not help with fat loss, and some may not have any negative side effects, but youre spending money when you can do it without the help of these products.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

She's not promoting anything...

You should read what she posted.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Nope and I wouldn't waste my money on them either. Are you going to take them the rest of your life? Doubtful.

Lifestyle change. You do things that are sustainable.

And you said it yourself...
    so I stopped taking them and gained the weight back almost immediately.
  • 4Pick
    4Pick Posts: 25
    Options

Your Post-Police enthusiam is misguided.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

She may not personally be promoting them, but she's asking for other people to do so. If I came on here and said, "I want to eat 500 calories a day. Who here only eats 500 calories a day?" it would be promoting an eating disorder. Asking if anyone does what MFP considers an Unsafe Weight Loss Technique is a solicitation for promotion.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    what is the fat burner supposed to do? -
    It's suppose to give you more energy to do more effective workouts and ultimately burn more calories.
    Your muscle glycogen stores should be charged-up at the beginning of a workout without supplementation--provided you're eating reasonable levels of calories/carbohydrates, and allowing ample recovery time. If you're endurance training a set of muscles, or not allowing recovery time, a simple banana is a great natural supplement . Of course, if you do this frequently, your body also adapts. :)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

She may not personally be promoting them, but she's asking for other people to do so. If I came on here and said, "I want to eat 500 calories a day. Who here only eats 500 calories a day?" it would be promoting an eating disorder. Asking if anyone does what MFP considers an Unsafe Weight Loss Technique is a solicitation for promotion.
    saying that you do something and promoting it are 2 different things. if they said "i want to eat 500 calories a day. you should too", that would be promoting, merely asking who else does it is not
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

It's suppose to give you more energy to do more effective workouts and ultimately burn more calories. Some of them are appetite suppressents as well.

:huh:

They are also a great way to permanently f-up your metabolism. :ohwell: I know a number of people who took fat burners (which worked while they took them, but in ALL cases, once they stopped taking them, they gained back all they lost and then some). EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM now has hypothyroidism and has to take synthetic thyroid hormone for the rest of their life (a couple didn't know what their levels were prior to taking the fat burners, but most had already been tested because they "couldn't lose weight" and their levels were all within the normal range).

Fat burners are SO not worth it.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    Screw the rules! I use 1st Phorm products, Thyro-Drive and Commander. I like 'em!
  • Skillzorz
    Skillzorz Posts: 28 Member
    Options

You are lost LOL. I am most definitely not asking anyone to do anything! Please re-read.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Nope and I wouldn't waste my money on them either. Are you going to take them the rest of your life? Doubtful.

Lifestyle change. You do things that are sustainable.

Second.

Also:
    fish oil

There's a recent Canadian study that seriously calls into question the benefits of that. They found that there was no solid foundation for assuming that the so called 'Eskimo diet' (i.e. a diet high in fatty fish) actually prevented coronary artery disease. (See http://www.onlinecjc.ca/article/S0828-282X(14)00237-2/abstract )
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options

Future mod
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I take 'Coke Zero' - the caffeine quite likely works in a very similar manner to the 'fat burners' being discussed.
    (I've never got myself a full-on tea/coffee habit, so don't need much of the drug compared to your typical user :) ).
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Many fat burners are just caffine + some other herbs for fat burning... think of Redbull without the sugar.
    I've tried some and felt "the rush", including a very flush face and chest complete with a look like a mild sunburn. I didn't in particular, notice any boost to my workouts or in the end any extra fat loss.

I just stick with coffee now. It gets me going for my workout, doesn't cost too much, and tastes good. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.