Newbie here! Need help

Options
Hey everyone! I've recently started using mfp diligently (I've had it for about 8 months -_-) and I need a little help. My husband is currently deployed so I want to really focus while he is away to lose weight! I had my son in January of 2013 and still have a lot of weight to lose.

I am 5'8 and 230 pounds. I have a 16 month old son at home so I'm usually always moving around. I'd say my activity level is lightly active that way. Since I've started tracking my food this past month I've lost 5 pounds! Mfp allows me 1,610 calories a day, but I usually try to come in just under that. I sometimes eat my workout calories back. My goal weight as of right now is 160, but I'm sure that will change.

Anyway! This past week I started exercising everyday, alternating between Jillian Michaels Banish Fat boost metabolism & No more trouble zones. Ever since I started doing this (about 8 days ago) the scale hasn't budged. I'm thinking it's just water retention since I've started a new workout routine, but I'm getting discouraged since the scale isn't moving. I weigh myself everyday and it's been between 229.5 and 230 this past week.

Could it just be from water retention? My diary is open (I think!) so please take a look at that and tell me your opinions! :)

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    add some additional metrics like body measurements (hip , waist, thigh, upper arm, upper thigh, calf diameters). IF you are adding muscle you won't move the weight scale needle much to begin with... so give it some time and focus on NSV's and remember this is about transformation NOT how much less you weigh... step away from the scale for a month.. and just focus on the good habits... eating less and exercising more... then after a month... see what the scale says... hang in their.. there is MORE than one way to measure success
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I'm the same height, though my goal weight is a bit less because I have a small frame. Someone is definitely going to recommend a food scale - and it's a good idea. Other than that, definitely focus on drinking lots of water. Even set a timer on your phone to drink a glass at least every hour or two. Also, feel free to add me. I'm around every day and sometimes post simple, healthy recipes if you're looking for ideas.

Good luck, and congrats on your progress so far!
  • sofagreen
    sofagreen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water....it will help move water weight. Also try not to weigh everyday, once a week at a specific time is best. don't get disheartened :)
  • chari182
    chari182 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I do drink a ton of water everyday (about 3 liters) but I normally don't track it all.
    I definitely want to get a food scale! I just have to wait a little bit longer until I can afford one :)

I have taken measurements. I've seen progress in my stomach but that's about it. Still better than nothing :D
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can absolutely be water retention. Either from the exercise, from hormones (depending on where you are in your monthly cycle), from stress or carbs or sodium. Because of this, 8 days isn't long enough to tell whether or not a new routine is working. I'd give it another week or two before you let it discourage you, if you can. Sometimes the scale is just a jerk!
  • chari182
    Options
    The scale sucks lol. I'll put it away for awhile that way I don't lose any motivation!
  • Jordanabella
    Options
    I would try to lower the sodium- I am trying now actually. It causes water retention. You may want to manage your sodium and maybe that can help a little. I am working on the same thing. I just started using MFP though. I think with all the water you drink, you should be able to flush out most anything though, so it is just a possibility.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Water retention from starting a new routine and/or hormones. Frustrating, I know, but if you're doing the right things in terms of being more active & eating better, then give it time. Many will tell you don't weigh everyday. I say weighing everyday is fine, as long as you understand that the scales are not in control. Logging your weight everyday (as long as your weighins are consistent, that is same time/routine/etc.) over 2-3 months can help you see your trends. For me, I learned that for 10-14 days each month the scale holds steady OR goes up! But then it 'catches' up and I seem to lose 1-2 pounds in a few days.
  • chari182
    Options
    I didn't realize how much sodium I've been taking In. Just my breakfast this morning had just under 800g, so I'll be keeping track better.

I don't think I was drinking enough water, either. I thought my water bottles were 1.5 liters, but they're only 1L. I'm going to up my water intake and see if that helps :)