Protein Powder

Options
AJL_Daddy
AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
I only have protein shakes on LIFT days, not CARDIO days. And, since I'm new, I only LIFT once a week for the time being. My current protein of choice is ON Gold Standard 100% whey. It really touts great muscle recovery, which i totally what I need. But my fave flavor, Cinnamon Graham Cracker, only comes in the 3.3 lb jug. And, weird rant, that fits very awekwardly in my pantry. The 2 pounders fit great, but I don;t know which flavors to try. I much prefer water to milk. Not only do I not worry about spoliage when I'm at the gym, but I don't like all the extra calories from 12 ounces of 2% (which my kids drink). Any recommendation on what else to try? Cheap is my biggest priority. But, again, since I only lift once a week, I need the recovery aspect really bad! Thanks!

ETA....No GNC or anything near where I live. My town has a ShopKo. Otherwise, it's an online order. Thanks!

Replies

• AJL_Daddy
    Options
    I need to learn to type not staring at the key! I'd make so many fewer typos, LOL!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Dump your favorite into a container that fits the spot you want to keep it :)

Having said that I've only tried HyVee protein powder and I wouldn't say it was good but I have nothing to compare it too. I drink it just to get enough protein since I struggle to get it with food alone and I've found I feel less hungry if I have enough protein each day..
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Almond Breeze unsweetened Almond Milk is only 30 calories for 1 cup. Around $2.99 and it will last you quite a few protein shakes.
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    My "favorite" is $0.75 / ounce BEFORE the price of milk (ouch!), but I get your drift. Thanks for suggestion!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Dump your favorite into a container that fits the spot you want to keep it :)

^^ That.

I wouldn't worry too much about the calories in the milk. As for the spoilage, can you take a bag, put some ice or an icepack in it and toss your mix in there to keep it cool while you workout?

Or buy pre-made ones. I've started drinking the muscle milk drinks pre workout (and depending what I"m doing, like after my run or a long ride) I'll have one post workout as well. They're not that bad and they don't need refrigeration. Calories are 170 and protein is 20g's
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The type of protein doesn't really matter. Like other people have said, just put it into another container. I have used an oatmeal container before. I'm guessing you were saying you were worried about the milk spoiling if you take it with you. And if thats the case just use water, nothing wrong with that.

Why are you only lifting once a week? You may be sore but you should have no trouble at all recovering from that. I would suggest starting to lift 3 times a week. That would probably cut back on the soreness as your body adapts to the exercise.