CALLING ALL MOMS!

Options
I'm trying to figure out what to get my mom for mothers' day! I am 20 years old (a junior in college). My mom just turned 51. I usually get her 2 nice potted begonias that she can hang up and/or coffee and/or clothes.

This year my brother (24) and I are going to get some pictures taken at jc penny for her because I remember her mentioning that she would like that in general (she said that a few months ago).

She works at a school as a teachers aid for behavioral disorder children. She always wears gym shoes, jeans, and a practical shirt. You obviously can't dress up if you might have to wrestle with a kid haha she likes period piece shows like on wttw11 (downton abbey, call the midwife, etc). She really likes birds! I already got her a bird feeder and a little book about bird watching a year ago. She doesn't really get a lot of free time to do hobbies. She "likes" to bake and cook....well she's good at it at least!

What do you want for mothers' day? A physical gift! I already plan on helping my dad and brother make dinner for her and plan on letting her relax that day. thank you so much for all of the help! I just don't want her to get bored of the same old same old gifts!

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Well sounds like you know her more than us! lol!

For me personally, I like books, jewelry, clothes, dinner, spa trip! (always a good idea), massage, etc.
  • iggylove123
    iggylove123 Posts: 302
    Options
    I'm just trying to see what other moms like and maybe steal some of those ideas OR it'll give me an "ah hah" moment!
  • wildrose53
    wildrose53 Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I love photos so my daughter usually gives me framed pictures. Last year my son bought me weights and a new yoga mat!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Gift card (Macy's, Bed Bath & Beyond, L'Occitane, Crate & Barrel, Container Store, etc.) enclosed in a beautiful, sentimental Hallmark card. This way she can get something that she really wants.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    New clothes, a new handbag, shoes, chocolates, spa/salon gift card. Whatevs. I'm easy to please.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    It's funny you say you always get her the begonias. Have you ever not done it and then she gets pouty?

My birthday and Mother's day co-incide. I keep telling my husband this year NO COMBO GIFTS.

I have asked for some (non-dangly) charms for my Pandora Bracelet.

But something I'm thinking about doing for my mom is one of those photo-collage books. Groupon has a sale on those. I'm not sure how long they would take to ship. She also is a teacher's aide for special needs 5 year olds. We have awesome moms!

And it's not for Mother's Day but my son (14) is putting together a Migraine Rescue kit for his math teacher. Apparently she and I have that in common and we think she'd really like it over some random gift card or fruit basket.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Take her to the spa!

I also saw a commercial about a birdhouse with a one way mirror that you can attach to your window and watch the birds as they are inside the birdhouse. It looked pretty cool and they aren't disturbed at all.

I want my husband to let me adopt my foster puppy for my Mother's Day!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    What about a spa treatment- massage, manicure, pedicure sort of thing. I would love that!! I actually bought my mom a necklace for Mother's Day this year and we are going to spend a day together to go shopping.
  • Beautiful_Pain
    Beautiful_Pain Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    "Im not a regular mom, im a cool mom" :D

I want a good meal, some nice chocolate, some flowers, and a shopping spree.

But a spa day would make anyone happy! :-)
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    They can keep the gifts, just make ME breakfast, lunch or dinner for once!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have enough "stuff". If I want something I buy it, so there isn't a lot someone could buy for me. I personally would vote for the massage/spa. That is something that many women won't spend the money on themselves, feeling that it is frivolous, but a good massage/facial feels amazing. For a mom that spends her day taking care of others a day to take care of herself and recharge is a great gift.
  • dawnhart77
    dawnhart77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just want my kids to do the dishes and clean up after themselves. That is a true gift (apparently my kids think so). But I love going on picnics or hikes on Mother's Day. I have the biggest black thumb, so no plants or flowers I have to maintain. Jewelry is always nice. A spa is great when I can squeeze it into my already packed kid activity schedule. But I always appreciate anything my kids get me. So, I think you are a pretty great kid already thinking of some great things to get your mom! ps... can I give you my kids numbers so you can call them and 'hint'??
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    One year my daughter bought 3 box photo frames and turned pictures of herself, her brother and my husband into 3D piccies - each photo was of them doing something very representative of their personality/hobbies etc - I loved it. I would like a framed photo of the whole family - where everyone has taken a good picture - usually at least one has been caught at an 'odd' angle. Mine no longer live at home and I would love a nice family weekend where they cooked and tidied up - but in all honesty, I just like to see them both on Mother's Day (ours was a few weeks before Easter).
    My daughter knows that I prefer not to receive chocolates - she has bought me a beads and earrings before.

Have a lovely day with your Mom! :flowerforyou:
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to get something to pamper your mom, see if there is a Lush Cosmetics store by you... They carry bath bombs, bath melts, bubble bars, all sorts of stuff... All handmade!
    It's something different to check out, I got my mother a gift basket this year from Lush.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    As a mom I can't really think of anything I would want. My daughter is still small and a nice drawing does it for me.

My mom doesn't live around here but we take my mother in law out somewhere. Or my husband will take his mom for a dinner and a movie. I think spending time with her and treating her to a nice outing is as nice as any present.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The spa is nice, my hubby and boys usually do the mom stuff lol, like cooking. They also clean and detail my jeep(it needs it)!

My hubby likes to surprise me..... His gift came early, so I got it yesterday..... I am into fairies and I like Absinthe. He found me a crystal and silver Absinthe fountain. It is lovely!

Good luck in finding your gift and Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!

:flowerforyou:
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I also love getting gift certificates for spa treatments. Love the smelly stuff from bath and body works.

For this year my husband and I bought tickets to see my beloved Cardinals when they come play our Tampa Bay Rays (really REALLY nice seats!) and that's our mother's/father's day presents to each other. I will hint to my kids that I need new golf gloves.

The sweetest thing I ever received from my kids was way back when the third Lord of the Rings movie came out and my older son gave me 7 one dollar bills so I could go see the movie. He knew I really wanted to see the movie and that my husband really didn't! He was only 8 at the time and it was precious. I still have the note too.
  • ditasabavala
    Options
    anything that will pamper me is great - massage, mani/pedi, facials... though I would trade all that in for just one day to myself to do whatever I felt like doing, that would be the best gift of all!