any breastfeeding moms losing weight?

Options
just wondering if anyone here is breastfeeding and losing weight. how do i figure out my calorie needs? do i just take the number they gave me and add 300, or is there a another way? I hope to drop the last 20lbs of baby weight by march (DS2 1st birthday).

thanks~

Replies

• Lucindaq
    Options
    I ate 2300 calories a day for the first 3 months. I lost 2 lbs a week for 3 months and I knew I was eating enough because my milk supply was up. After i lost the weight I dropped the calorie intake down. I added my breastfeeding in as exercise that burned 500 calories. I think a scale is a must when breastfeeding because then you can get your calories perfect and know you are losing weight. Good luck! My baby is 7months old and i am still breastfeeding. Keep it up!
  • cespranger
    Options
    Thanks. i've never counted calories before, with my first (who's now 4), i got back to my PP weight around 6-8 months but still felt overweight and flabby.. but all i had to do was change what i ate to all healthy foods. this time my baby is 9 months and i still have 20lbs left and i already eat pretty healthy i think i'm eating too many calories. plus, since the little bugger is still getting up 8x a night i'm having to use nap time to catch up on sleep rather than exercise. MFP said i only need 1200 calories a day and i thought that sounded low, but when i add all my food in i stay around 1600. he still nurses every 1.5-2 hours pretty much all day (he's 10 months today) so i don't want to put my milk at stake!