Saggy Skin after weiht loss, any help?

Options
Went shopping yesterday, I have lost 49 lbs and am thrilled to be able to get into some clothes in regular sizes (not plus or women's) was trying out some new work out pants and noticed that the skin on my thighs and under arms is sagging. I'm 50 so the last time I lost this kind of weight at 28 this was not an issue. Also I have lost this weight pretty quickly since beginning of Dec so not sure if that is part of the problem. I have been doing low carb, pretty much just lean meats veggies and fruits, plus some good for you fats and nuts, peanut butter.lots of Zumba not much weight lifting. I don't know if doing weights will help me tone. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It can take up to two years for your skin to retract the full amount it's going to. That and a mixture of genetics and the condition of your skin will effect the final amount your skin will retract. So I'm afraid it's patience and see what happens
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It can take up to two years for your skin to retract the full amount it's going to. That and a mixture of genetics and the condition of your skin will effect the final amount your skin will retract. So I'm afraid it's patience and see what happens

I've heard it can take up to two years too.

I'd add, make sure you exfoliate and moisturise regularly. I don't know that strength training would necessarily help your skin but it can't hurt.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yup, two years is the time it takes your skin to recover, after that what recovery you have is probably what your left with. That's two years from stopping losing weight of course, and not from the time you started.

There isn't really anything that has been proven to work to reduce loose skin, but there are lots of things you can do which can't hurt. Exfoliation with a massage mitt in the bath/shower will help blood flow to the skin. Massaging in an oil or cream will also help with blood flow to the area in general. Lifting weights will also increase blood flow to muscles and surrounding tissues as they work to recover. I've seen a big difference in my post baby belly between months 16 and 17 post partum. I've done the plank challenge in that month, whether challenging my abs and increasing blood flow has made all the difference or whether my skin has just taken another step towards recovery I couldn't possibly say for sure .
  • JATP1
    JATP1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hmm, well good to know there is hope. Thank you for your responses, It was a shock to see my legs looking saggy, they have always been the most muscular part of my body, and even at my heaviest 258 I never really had cellulite.
  • margaretperron75
    Options
    Its my wedding after 4 months. Planning to get a chemical peel treatment from Beautimed clinic, Port Coquitlam. But a problem is with my skin, mine is a bit sensitive.