Spinning Class Shoes Recommendation?

Options
RoboLikes
RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
I've been spinning 4 days a week every week for awhile now and would like to invest in the clip shoes for my spin bike. Does anyone have a good shoes recommendation? Are all clip shoes universal or do I need to get a specific pair for specific bikes?

Im not in the market for something super pricey so your help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Clips are not universal, but the most common type is an spd clip. I actually use keen commuter sandals for my cycling and they are awesome. I would recommend anything that is not a racing shoe. You want to be comfy. I tend to stick in the mountain bike line, but now I just ride in my clip sandals.

First find out what kind of clips they use.

Next find out what your goals are:

Racing shoes are very stiff, so all of the power you generate goes from the shoe to the pedal. Non racing shoes are more forgiving, but you loose power. In a cycle class, this difference won't matter much, but if you plan on taking it outside, match the shoe to your goals.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Find out from your spin instructor what type of clips they use-they are NOT universal. Go to a bike shop near your gym and tell them you are looking for spin shoes and where you spin - most likely they will know what type you need.

The shoes are not cheap and you typically have to buy the clips separately and have the store install them for you. BUT-they really don't wear out like regular shoes do. I wear regular shoes to the gym and change once I'm in the spin room. The most I wear them on normal surfaces is to run to the bathroom and into the locker room after class. Mine have lasted a good 7 years!

I do know somebody who went to a local bike shop, got fitted, wrote down all the info on the shoes (usually European sizing) and then ordered online and installed the clips herself.

Good for you for getting the shoes-you won't believe how they change your ride!
  • bigfeat14
    bigfeat14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You have two different bolt patterns on cycling shoes, 2 bolt and 3 bolt. 2 bolt are mostly used on mountain and touring bikes, and are the most common for spinners. They use 2 bolt spd cleats attached to the shoes. The 3 bolt pattern are common on road shoes and there are a variety of different cleat/pedal combinations that use 3 bolts. Road shoes are much more rigid and harder to walk in. If you are in spin classes, ask the instructor for advice. Here is a link with more information. http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Content_10052_10551_-1_CyclingShoesPedals
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The brand of shoe I have are Bontranger and they have the SPD clips. Contrary to what others are saying here I WAS able to use my shoes on spin bikes. They fit just fine and worked great.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    The brand of shoe I have are Bontranger and they have the SPD clips. Contrary to what others are saying here I WAS able to use my shoes on spin bikes. They fit just fine and worked great.

No one is saying you can't use them. WHAT they are saying is they ARE NOT universal. Different clips fit different pedals. You just happen to have a pair that fit your spin bike.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for the info guys! I think I have a good idea of what I need from your advice and the link bigfeat14 shared. I'll still check in with one of the instructors I go to for their advice too.

Thanks again!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My local bike store had a list on the wall of gyms in the area and the type of clips their spinning bikes used. The vast majority (my gym included) uses SPD clips. I bought a pair of Shimano shoes and SPD clips. They installed them at the store for me. The total was $120. For as much spinning as you're doing, it's well worth it! I spin twice a week (lately it's been once since I've been training for a 10K this weekend) and it has definitely made my rides so much better. Treat yo self! :)