1200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    ^which means you don't actually do 1200 because your weekly net is more than that.

Actually, it's less. My net on weekends is about 1400, and during the week it's in the 400-1200 range (check my food diary if you don't believe me). My average net is about 1000 and I eat what I want most of the time- whiskey, beer, pizza, chocolate, etc. Today it should be around 895 net after eating a hamburger, yesterday was 1095 net and I had Red Robin for dinner. It's totally doable and not at all miserable if you are active. I feel totally gross if I eat over 1900. But, to each their own. I'm not saying it's right or wrong- that's just what works for me.

What do you have your weekly loss goal set as?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and with 227. This is what Map recommended based on that. Is it wrong? I have a very sedentry job and am hoping to lose 2lb a week until I get to 190/180, then I plan to take it slower. It will be interesting to see how many calories I get with exercise. Thanks for the help - had no idea diaries were open. Off to find out how to access them.

Read the links Grace posted. Also, some diaries are and some aren't. Depends on what the person has it set to.

Remember your goal should be fat loss and not just weight loss, so the scale is Trivial. It's a number no one knows. Mirror and measurements are a much better indicator of progress. Quick weight loss does not equal good weight loss. So, setting a sustainable goal and making new habits is ideal long term. I lost around 1-1.5 lbs a week netting 1650
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? Are you weighing everything?

Yes. If anything I overestimate because I plan to eat something that I'll put into MFP ahead of time then I just won't eat it. Not because I'm trying to starve myself, but I'm usually either too busy to eat or not hungry. Honestly, my weight gain was because of lack of eating so eating UP TO 1400 calories a day is a challenge for me. Again, not because I'm starving myself but b/c I was either busy or not hungry. I used to work in radiation labs where decontaminating to eat was too much of a pain, so I just got used to eating less. Like I said, to each their own.

Actually, you can't possibly gain weight from not eating enough. Otherwise anorexics wouldn't be able to reach crazy low weights. Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

The best you can do is to measure liquids and weigh solids and be consistent and as accurate as possible with your logging so you can make sure you are eating what you are supposed to. It's easy to reach 1400. Use oil on your foods, butter, etc. if it's hard and you'll reach your calorie goal easily, or peanut butter etc. You can even incorporate treats if you want to.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ^which means you don't actually do 1200 because your weekly net is more than that.

Actually, it's less. My net on weekends is about 1400, and during the week it's in the 400-1200 range (check my food diary if you don't believe me). My average net is about 1000 and I eat what I want most of the time- whiskey, beer, pizza, chocolate, etc. Today it should be around 895 net after eating a hamburger, yesterday was 1095 net and I had Red Robin for dinner. It's totally doable and not at all miserable if you are active. I feel totally gross if I eat over 1900. But, to each their own. I'm not saying it's right or wrong- that's just what works for me.

Really low calorie diets (1000 net would qualify) DON'T support lean muscle. This means you lose fat + muscle. For most people, lowering body fat percentage is more important than the number on the scale.

High body fat + low weight looks good fully clothed.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.

MFP gives 1200 based upon "I want to lose XX pounds a week." When users put in a too aggressive weekly goal .....women get 1200....MFP's lowest minimum DEFAULT.

1200 is also given to older (or really short) women who set appropriate goals. You're right......people should look up their TDEE & BMR before taking 1200 calories as fact.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? Are you weighing everything?

Yes. If anything I overestimate because I plan to eat something that I'll put into MFP ahead of time then I just won't eat it. Not because I'm trying to starve myself, but I'm usually either too busy to eat or not hungry.

There's like 4 days straight where you don't log. How could you possibly know how much you're eating? Also, hunger cues are terrible indicators of whether or not you're eating enough. If you truly are eating so little, Leptin levels decrease, which would be why you don't feel hungry. That doesn't make it healthy or right just because you aren't physically hungry.

So far I have found the opposite to be true. I'm not trying to be an @ss, but, do you have specific articles you got this info from?

"When fat mass decreases, the level of plasma leptin falls so that appetite is stimulated until the fat mass is recovered. There is also a decrease in body temperature and energy expenditure is suppressed. By contrast, when fat mass increases, so do leptin levels and appetite is suppressed until weight loss occurs. In this way leptin regulates energy intake and fat stores so that weight is maintained within a relatively narrow range."
    http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-Does-Leptin-Do.aspx
    Or maybe I'm reading this wrong... I am tired and kinda doped on meds :tongue:
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I will say when I first started I did the 1200 + exercise calories. I lost weight, but struggled as I was hungry...a lot.

Then I found the links below...

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

TL:DR ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

You can eat more and still lose weight.
    I'm 38, 5'5" and eat 1940 a day.

this isn't directed only at you, but to everyone saying 1200 is anorexia: I am 5'3" (not incredibly short for a woman, just a bit shorter than average), and I started at 130-135 pounds, wanting to lose 15-20 pounds. I am at 1200 net cals per day because mfp has a cut-off at 1200 net cals per day (it won't go lower). AT 1200 NET CALS PER DAY, I'M CALCULATED TO LOSE 0.9 POUNDS PER WEEK. So to anyone saying it's too drastic, or that someone has to be incredibly short or is anorexic, no.

I also usually eat all of my workout cals and I just recently came back to mfp after a few months' gap during the holidays.
    I'm not saying everyone/anyone should do 1200, I'm just saying 1200 isn't necessarily unhealthy or ridiculous or inappropriate. My TDEE is only about 1700 calories, according to scooby.

EDIT: further, my 1200/day fits with your 'appropriate' weight loss rates - "If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal "
  • HockeyMoM2517
    HockeyMoM2517 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I seriously try to eat 1200 calories a day. I find it hard. I used to never have this problem before my lifestyle change.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1250... here's how I do it:

General split I'm going for: 150 breakfast, 400 lunch, 600 dinner, 100 snack.

Breakfast: Usually something quick and usually more carb-y.
    Examples:
    --half a bagel with light cream cheese
    --1 package of Quaker reduced sugar apple and cinnamon oatmeal
    --1 Sticky Fingers Bakery scone
    I usually have a cup of tea with breakfast as well, so add in 20ish for milk.

Lunch: I work in an office and my only time out of the office is going out for lunch, but I've found a bunch of places around work that give good calorie lunches.
    Examples:
    --Subway and PitaPit: lots of sandwiches for ~350ish if you skip the cheese and load up on veggies
    --Wendys: Ultimate Chicken Grill sandwich is 360, plus 20 for ketchup because I love me some Heinz
    --Panera Breads: half a Turkey Avocado BLT, half a spinach power salad (about 450)
    --Swiss Chalet: quarter chicken leg with coleslaw, 400 normally, add 100 if I want the bun. :)
    --The burrito place around the corner does a burrito in a bowl for about 450 (skip the cheese and sour cream, but I get the guac because it's delicious.)

Dinner: Homecooked stuff. I use BBC Good Food for recipes as you can filter on calories. I usually manage to bring my dinners in around 500 or so. Tips for cooking:
    --Load up on the veggies. Seriously. Lots and lots of veggies.
    --If you make pasta, make it more about the sauce and what's in the sauce (and veg!) than the pasta.
    --If you make potato, only use small amounts
    --Measure how much oil you cook with, often you only need a bit if you're sauteeing
    --Cream cheese or Philadelphia Cooking Cream is a great way to make recipes more rich without packing in calories
    --Making your food spicy often makes you eat less of it. Don't blow your head off but you tend to eat less generally if it's spicy!
    --Have water, fizzy water, or diet drinks with your meal, the extra liquid helps fill you up so you eat less.
    --Take a smaller portion the first time around so that if you do want to go for seconds you have "room"

Hope that helps. :)

I'm going to bash your breakfast right now..... actually your whole post is awful.

If you are aiming for a 150 cal breakfast..... and you are eating half a bagel, oatmeal AND a scone...... you are wayyy above your 150 cal.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've been on 1200 calories for about 5 weeks now. I eat most of my exercise calories, when I have them. I'm eating a lot better. Instead of sugary cereal I have a milkshake made with oats and fruit. Dinner tends to be a ham and salad wrap with a small bag of crisps and some fruit. Tea is a normal homemade meal, I have just cut way back on the carb portion. I try to save enough calories for a small chocolate bar in the evening. Once a week I save up for a take away (and don't go mad).
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I'm on 1250... here's how I do it:

General split I'm going for: 150 breakfast, 400 lunch, 600 dinner, 100 snack.

Breakfast: Usually something quick and usually more carb-y.
    Examples:
    --half a bagel with light cream cheese
    --1 package of Quaker reduced sugar apple and cinnamon oatmeal
    --1 Sticky Fingers Bakery scone
    I usually have a cup of tea with breakfast as well, so add in 20ish for milk.

Lunch: I work in an office and my only time out of the office is going out for lunch, but I've found a bunch of places around work that give good calorie lunches.
    Examples:
    --Subway and PitaPit: lots of sandwiches for ~350ish if you skip the cheese and load up on veggies
    --Wendys: Ultimate Chicken Grill sandwich is 360, plus 20 for ketchup because I love me some Heinz
    --Panera Breads: half a Turkey Avocado BLT, half a spinach power salad (about 450)
    --Swiss Chalet: quarter chicken leg with coleslaw, 400 normally, add 100 if I want the bun. :)
    --The burrito place around the corner does a burrito in a bowl for about 450 (skip the cheese and sour cream, but I get the guac because it's delicious.)

Dinner: Homecooked stuff. I use BBC Good Food for recipes as you can filter on calories. I usually manage to bring my dinners in around 500 or so. Tips for cooking:
    --Load up on the veggies. Seriously. Lots and lots of veggies.
    --If you make pasta, make it more about the sauce and what's in the sauce (and veg!) than the pasta.
    --If you make potato, only use small amounts
    --Measure how much oil you cook with, often you only need a bit if you're sauteeing
    --Cream cheese or Philadelphia Cooking Cream is a great way to make recipes more rich without packing in calories
    --Making your food spicy often makes you eat less of it. Don't blow your head off but you tend to eat less generally if it's spicy!
    --Have water, fizzy water, or diet drinks with your meal, the extra liquid helps fill you up so you eat less.
    --Take a smaller portion the first time around so that if you do want to go for seconds you have "room"

Hope that helps. :)

I'm going to bash your breakfast right now..... actually your whole post is awful.

If you are aiming for a 150 cal breakfast..... and you are eating half a bagel, oatmeal AND a scone...... you are wayyy above your 150 cal.

I could be wrong but I think this poster is saying bagel OR oatmeal OR scone, not AND.

Also, are you putting people down to make yourself feel better or because you're actually that rude? This poster is simply trying to be helpful by answering OP's original question.
  • marma_13
    marma_13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, All. I am probably a bit older than most of you (age 64) so metabolism has slowed a bit. I eat at least 1200 a day, and more depending on exercise calories. I chose the 1200 calorie amount because 1500 made it difficult for me to maintain, which led me to get a resting metabolism test and a body fat analysis test. The results of those tests indicated that I needed to lose 10 pounds of fat and I needed at least 1200 calories a day to maintain. So I changed my diet to mostly vegan, dropped 10 pounds almost immediately, and now effortlessly (except for food tracking) maintain a better, healthier weight on the 1200 plus calories burned through exercise. Having the objective information from the tests really helped me find what worked for me both in terms of health/nutrition and ease/comfort. It has been working well for over a year now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but I think this poster is saying bagel OR oatmeal OR scone, not AND.

That's how I read it, unless she's also going to 5 different lunch places every day.
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    I can share, but I'm not sure how to make my diary open to people.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    I will say when I first started I did the 1200 + exercise calories. I lost weight, but struggled as I was hungry...a lot.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

TL:DR ->http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

this isn't directed only at you, but to everyone saying 1200 is anorexia: I am 5'3" (not incredibly short for a woman, just a bit shorter than average), and I started at 130-135 pounds, wanting to lose 15-20 pounds. I am at 1200 net cals per day because mfp has a cut-off at 1200 net cals per day (it won't go lower). AT 1200 NET CALS PER DAY, I'M CALCULATED TO LOSE 0.9 POUNDS PER WEEK. So to anyone saying it's too drastic, or that someone has to be incredibly short or is anorexic, no.

I also usually eat all of my workout cals and I just recently came back to mfp after a few months' gap during the holidays.
    I'm not saying everyone/anyone should do 1200, I'm just saying 1200 isn't necessarily unhealthy or ridiculous or inappropriate. My TDEE is only about 1700 calories, according to scooby.

EDIT: further, my 1200/day fits with your 'appropriate' weight loss rates - "If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal "

It shouldn't go any lower than that. .. I lose 1 lb a week at 1650 NET at my current weight and I'm 5'3.5". Just because you are short does not mean you have to eat like a bird. I also only do light walking, take care of my kids and weightlift and maintain 116 lbs on 2250 ish.
  • TeaBea
    Options

Read these:

How does 1200 compare to your BMR (basal metabolic rate)? That number is tailored to your height, weight, age and gender. BMR is the calories that your body would use if you stayed in bed all day.

Your TDEE less 20% ......is still higher than 1200 .....it's 1,360. That 20% value is reserved for people with more than 15 pounds to lose.

Bottom line.....the larger the deficit, the more muscle mass you will lose. For me, I won't eat below my BMR....I need to preserve as much muscle mass as I can (over 50).
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    There's like 4 days straight where you don't log. How could you possibly know how much you're eating?

When is that? I haven't had a day off logging since March...
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    There's like 4 days straight where you don't log. How could you possibly know how much you're eating?

When is that? I haven't had a day off logging since March...

hmm maybe I went the wrong way in the logs. On and off here with kids lol.

Irregardless, hunger cues yadda yadda and can't gain weight without overeating.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Your body can't gain weight without a surplus of calories. Please, enlighten me.

Slowed metabolism, perhaps? I have actually been to a nutritionist and that's what she told me. She told me to up my calories to at least 1200 and that's when I lost weight. Trust me, I'm not pulling this info out of my rear; I did seek medical advice.

SugaryLynx, I respect your opinion, but I am going to take it as that- opinion. I may be wrong, but it appears as though you are attacking me for following the advice my doctor gave me because it's not something that you personally believe in. That comment that I quoted seemed extremely snarky- "Please, enlighten me"- really? That came off as really rude. If you did not mean it that way, I apologize. Everyone is a work in progress, and I am no exception.

I was simply trying to answer the OP's question. Take it or leave it, that's what my answer is.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm around 1300 most days (although it will probably go up a bit in a few days because I want to slow down the weight loss a bit), but my diary is open if you want to have a look to see how I get it.