Pre-workout snacks: Quest bar benefits, better taste?

Options
I've found myself experiencing some nausea after lifting, so it was recommended that I get some carbs in before my workout. I thought Quest bars would be good because they're decently low in calories, high in protein and fiber, and no added sugars or a bunch of sodium. Even though they were $3/bar (ridiculous), I was pretty excited and bought four - one for each of my lifting days this week and one to try this past weekend. So far I've tried the Cinnamon Roll and Coconut Cashew flavors. Can I just say - ew? The texture gets to me, the flavor isn't great, and it's hard to get it down and keep it down at 5 AM. I have Chocolate Brownie and Double Chocolate Chunk left, which I'll be microwaving as suggested by others to see if that makes me able to stomach it better.

I still got a little nauseous after my workout this morning, but not as bad. I'm just not the type that is going to eat something I think is nasty just for the health benefits. I want to find something that will fuel my body for the workout AND tastes good. So, I'm looking for something similar to a Quest bar in nutritional benefits, but not as...well, disgusting.

I've considered bananas (carbs, but no protein), nuts (more calories and fat than I can spare), and other grocery store protein bars (way too much sugar for a mediocre amount of protein). My protein powder only has 1 g of carbs, so that won't help me much.

I want something under 200 calories, high in protein, 15-25 g carbs, preferably some fiber, and low in sugar and sodium. Anything even close to this would be great, and preferably something I don't need to cook right before I eat it. I'll cook, but it would have to be ahead of time. I don't cook at 5AM. I'd really rather not switch my workout time to the evenings - it's not ideal for my schedule. And I eat my protein shake and oatmeal for breakfast an hour after my workout.

What are your pre-workout snacks?

Replies

• tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    4 Oreos or a donut.
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try making your own no-bake bars. I make protein bars all the time. You choose what you put in, so you can tailor them to your tastes and nutritional requirements. The net is full of recipes, so you can try a few and experiment. It took me several batches before I got a combo I liked that wasn't too sticky or too dry and suited my taste. Now, I make them every week or so and stick them in the freezer. I thaw one on the counter or in my lunch bag if I want it later in the day or the microwave if I want to eat it immediately.

If you prefer something more like a cake, Jaime Eason also has some good recipes for carrot protein bars and pumpkin protein bars here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-recipes-main-page.html . She also has brownies, lemon bars and others, but I've only ever tried the carrot and the pumpkin, and I really liked both of them.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Use your protein powder in lieu of milk in a a high fiber cereal.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your protein shake and one of the protein bars listed below. The Pumpkin protein bars Jamie Eason makes are only about 60 calories per square. Normally 2 squares are a snack but one square and a shake would give you the carbs and protein you need in the A.M. and she is right they are yummy!

quote]
    Try making your own no-bake bars. I make protein bars all the time. You choose what you put in, so you can tailor them to your tastes and nutritional requirements. The net is full of recipes, so you can try a few and experiment. It took me several batches before I got a combo I liked that wasn't too sticky or too dry and suited my taste. Now, I make them every week or so and stick them in the freezer. I thaw one on the counter or in my lunch bag if I want it later in the day or the microwave if I want to eat it immediately.

If you prefer something more like a cake, Jaime Eason also has some good recipes for carrot protein bars and pumpkin protein bars here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-recipes-main-page.html . She also has brownies, lemon bars and others, but I've only ever tried the carrot and the pumpkin, and I really liked both of them.
    [/quote]
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I normally work out in the afternoon after work so I usually eat 1/2 c. cottage cheese and fruit about forty minutes before I leave work. Seems to do the trick for me. If I am running in the morning I will sometimes eat 1/2 a banana with a tblsp of pb or almond butter about 30 min. before I run.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I've decided to try a couple more Quest bars based on suggestions I've received from some MFPers. Cookies and Cream and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough seem to be among the most popular flavors, especially when microwaved for 10 seconds. I'll try those next week and, if I don't like them, I'll try a couple pieces of that protein pumpkin bread before my workout. I'll probably try it anyway, as I love pumpkin. I just wish they had more than 4 g per bar. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just a side note about Quest bars; the freshness dramatically affects the flavor. If you are buying them somewhere that sells them for $3/bar then they probably don't sell out often and don't restock them often so they can get stale. Cinnamon Roll was my favorite flavor if I bought them directly from the Quest website but I can't stand cinnamon roll if its stale at all. The flavor makes me want to puke. I cant buy cinnamon roll anymore. If you do end up liking a flavor of cookie dough or cookies and cream, buy directly from Quest (cheaper) or find somewhere local that sells them cheaper.. about $2/bar. There is a Nutrishop near my family that sells boxes for $20 (1.66/bar) and they sell out weekly so they are always restocking and they have the freshest bars that taste delicious.
  • lorigrocks
    lorigrocks Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I always have peanut butter on toast before my workouts. I made a mistake yesterday and just had an apple and I was feeling sick half way through my workout so...lesson learned for me!!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Overnight PROATS.....

40g raw oats
    1 scoop protein powder
    1/2 cup coffee (flavored or unflavored.... preferably NOT DECAF)
    1-3pkts of Splenda, or whatever sweetener you like
    Mix all together in a jar/bowl/cup....... stir well

Cover with aluminum foil if not in a jar.... sit in fridge overnight.

Eat in AM hour or so prior to workout & enjoy the energy.

[endtopic/]
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options
    Just a side note about Quest bars; the freshness dramatically affects the flavor. If you are buying them somewhere that sells them for $3/bar then they probably don't sell out often and don't restock them often so they can get stale. Cinnamon Roll was my favorite flavor if I bought them directly from the Quest website but I can't stand cinnamon roll if its stale at all. The flavor makes me want to puke. I cant buy cinnamon roll anymore. If you do end up liking a flavor of cookie dough or cookies and cream, buy directly from Quest (cheaper) or find somewhere local that sells them cheaper.. about $2/bar. There is a Nutrishop near my family that sells boxes for $20 (1.66/bar) and they sell out weekly so they are always restocking and they have the freshest bars that taste delicious.

I bought them at GNC, where they sell out rather quickly. They only had a few flavors, and only a few of each. I don't think they're stale. I've never been able to eat protein bars because of the gummy texture. I'm not sure why I thought Quest bars would be different. I really wanted to like them.
    Overnight PROATS.....

I'm not really willing to give up my tasty oatmeal breakfast for cold, gooey, coffee-flavored oatmeal, but it's an interesting idea if you're into that kind of thing.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Get your carbs and protein from different sources! I have half of an english muffin or a piece of toast with no preserves/jam, honey, just butter, butter and cinnamon with a bit of sugar etc before I go and a protein shake during/after. I've also had a handful of grapes or a plum which worked fine as well. As you can tell, I only want to spend 1-2 minutes on my snack. The toast is toasting while I make my protein shake.

I do better now that I added the carbs before my workout. A lot of fiber right before a workout sounds like a recipe for gastric issues...
  • jec228
    jec228 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I wish I didn't like quest bars - I could probably save myself some serious money.

I am also at the gym by 530 every morning but am not doing as much heavy lifting as you are so our fuel plans will likely be pretty different. I can't workout on a completely empty stomach but also don't allow time to make anything or digest anything too heavy before I start my workout. I have had success with unsweetened applesauce, 100 calorie packs of almonds, or even 1/2 a banana before my workout.

Based on what you are looking for I would look into making a batch of those energy balls or bites. It looks like someone suggested making your own protein bars so these are probably similar. There are a lot of recipies out there with only a few ingredients - oats, almond or peanut butter, flaxseeds, chocolate chips, dried fruit, etc. you can really add whatevre you want to them. Make a big batch at the beginning of the week and keep them in a tupperware inside your fridge!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    Options

Just an FYI. I entered that recipe for the pumpkin protein bars into MFP and her calorie count is WAY off. With walnuts, it's 107 calories per bar, not 63. I expect a little bit of a difference due to use of different products, but that's nearly double the calories. Not cool.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    For whatever it's worth, my trainer told me that a 1/2-scoop of protein powder anywhere from 30-120 minutes before we meet for lifting would be fine. (Not carbs)
  • callie006
    callie006 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Just an FYI. I entered that recipe for the pumpkin protein bars into MFP and her calorie count is WAY off. With walnuts, it's 107 calories per bar, not 63. I expect a little bit of a difference due to use of different products, but that's nearly double the calories. Not cool.

Yeah, I always enter recipes myself because I substitute like crazy when I bake and use vastly different ingredients. I also don't bake with artificial sweeteners (even stevia), so I've never tested her counts. It's good to know they are so off though. Thanks!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I bought them at GNC, where they sell out rather quickly. They only had a few flavors, and only a few of each. I don't think they're stale. I've never been able to eat protein bars because of the gummy texture. I'm not sure why I thought Quest bars would be different. I really wanted to like them.

Interesting. I've never had a good Quest bar from GNC but it could just be my area. They are way overpriced compared to the Vitamin Shoppe and Nutrishops that are in my area. I've never gone into a GNC with more than 2 shoppers but the other stores always have a lot of foot traffic.

i can understand the texture. My boyfriend hates the texture of protein bars and the artificial sugar taste some have. I wish I didn't like Quest bars because even at $2/bar it adds up fast. I stock up on a few boxes every time I visit my favorite Nutrishop and I never leave the store without spending $80-$100.