AM or PM?

Options
Does it matter if you work out in the morning or evening? I've heard conflicting data....with a munchkin it is so much easier for me to work out after he goes to bed but I want to make sure I get the most out of my workout. Thanks!

Replies

• soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I've heard mornings are best. However, exercise when you can. It's all good.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    Doesn't matter, whatever works on your schedule.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I've asked myself this as well and have also heard so much conflicting info!! I have decided to do it when it works for me, at least I am doing it whether "it's the right time or not" and to go back to the basics. To much info sometimes is a bad thing!! lol
  • klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any difference in evening vs. morning workouts: however it probably isn't good to work out right before your own bedtime. Really workouts are only good if you keep them up so you have to fit them into your schedule if you are going to stick with them.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I do it early because of my munchkin and I'm a morning person. I'd much rather get up early than stay up late to workout.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Does it matter if you work out in the morning or evening? I've heard conflicting data....with a munchkin it is so much easier for me to work out after he goes to bed but I want to make sure I get the most out of my workout. Thanks!

I've read that you get the most benefit if you work out between 5pm and 7pm due to your body already being awake, energized, and your oxigen intake is maximal then. Is it true? I say work out when it best fits your schedule. Remember, everyone is different. I've known people who had better results working out in the morning, while others, like myself, yield better results when working out in the afternoon. Experiment with it, and see what works best for you.
  • shawnaloeppky
    Options
    Best to work out regularly, no matter what time of day! If you try to schedule it in at a time of day that suits you, you can keep it up and even enjoy it... if you're trying to force it at a time of day that doesn't work, it reeeaaally feels like too much work and then you'll be more tempted to put it off.
    :happy:
  • billylindsay
    billylindsay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I always aim for the morning then I can squeeze in a lighter session later but work dictates and sometimes it's afternoon or night.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is whatever time works best for you! I'm not a morning person, and I enjoy going in the evenings after dinner - I've made it habit. If I tried to force myself to workout in the mornings before work, I can guarantee I wouldn't be doing it as regularly. Consistency and creating new habits is the key!
  • alanmonks
    alanmonks Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The best time to work out is whatever is best for you. However, research has shown that evening is the best as your body is its warmest then and can function to its best this giving the best chance to burn fat and work out harder.
  • LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    I've been workout out for years and I used to do evening workouts and for about a year and a half now have been doing very early morning workouts...I don't see any difference aside from the fact that I'm hungrier in the morning now as opposed to the evening. The same amount of calories are burned and the same goes for performance. There is no edge for time of day, just your preference!
  • floridabootcamp
    Options
    Anytime is the best time...lol....workout when ever you can fit it into your schedule.....evening or morning won't make a difference in your results.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, get 'er done. LOL
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    It doesn't matter, as long as you do it! :)
  • lizearle
    Options
    Actualy it DOES matter when you work out - the best time is AM. This is because your body is still asleep, by working out in the am you are increasing the time your bodys metabolism is working. you should also eat small meals every 3 hrs starting at 7am and include weight in your workout. if you dont have time do it all, do weigths am, then cardio pm. weights burn cals after workout has finished whereas cardio cals finsh when workout does.

however, just workout, dont skimpt just because you cant do it in the morning!
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Actualy it DOES matter when you work out - the best time is AM. This is because your body is still asleep, by working out in the am you are increasing the time your bodys metabolism is working. you should also eat small meals every 3 hrs starting at 7am and include weight in your workout. if you dont have time do it all, do weigths am, then cardio pm. weights burn cals after workout has finished whereas cardio cals finsh when workout does.

however, just workout, dont skimpt just because you cant do it in the morning!

Hate to break it to you but that is a myth ;)

http://www.acefitness.org/fitnessqanda/fitnessqanda_display.aspx?itemid=278
  • ksnj2
    ksnj2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a newby here but I think exercise is exercise no matter when you do it - morning, afternoon, or evening. Exercise is better than no exercise so for me it has to be an AM session. I will make too many excuses or things will get in the way if I wait during the day to get an exercise session in.