P90X vs Insanity

Options
I am just wondering what each of these is like? are they completely different or similar? I've heard Insanity is more cardio based and P90X is more strength training based is that true?

How do they work do you have to do it 3-5-7 days a week? how long is each workout?

I'm just trying to figure out if I want to try either of them out or not.

THANKS!

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Correct, P90X is more weightlifting and Insanity is 90% cardio.

Both programs are six days a week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/136166-p90x-vs-insanity?hl=p90x+vs+insanity#posts-1853704
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X at home. I have the DVD's but I don't use them as a regular workout. I use them when I want to change up my routine. I do know that if you follow the program that you are supposed to do it 6 days a week.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Correct, P90X is more weightlifting and Insanity is 90% cardio.

Both programs are six days a week.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/136166-p90x-vs-insanity?hl=p90x+vs+insanity#posts-1853704

Thanks for the link.....wow 6 days a week that is huge commitment!!
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    today i'm starting Insanity month 2.

You're right, Insanity is more cardio-based and P90X is more strength training based, but Insanity does do some resistance work, and P90X does do some cardio work as well.

They are both 6 days out of 7, I believe P90X has a stretch workout on day 7 though.

The first month of Insanity, the workouts are about 40 minutes, with the exception of cardio abs, which is about 15 minutes, and cardio recovery, which is about 30 minutes. The second month, I believe the workouts are an hour.

I love Insanity, it's quite the workout. When i'm done this round of Insanity, I plan on doing a hybrid of P90X/Insanity, but that's not 100% yet.
  • jjb01b
    jjb01b Posts: 1
    Options
    P90x is 6 days a week and is 3 weight days, 2 cardio days, one yoga day and a day where you can either stretch or take it off. So essentially its at least 6 days a week. Its based on the concept of muscle confusion and is great for not just losing weight but getting overall more fit. You need to have some dumbells or bands, a pullup bar (or bands instead) and some space for the workout.

Insanity is basically all cardio and uses your own body as resistance. All you need is space and thats it. I prefer P90x because its more of an overall fitness system. I would say though that the cardio on Insanity is "insane" as the title states. I would compare it to doing hardcore track and field training or some sort of two a day sports practice. It is very intense there is literally no rest but you burn a lot of calories. Insanity is better for burning fat but not so good at building muscle because you arent doing pullups, resitance exercises with weights etc.

I have done both and prefer P90x. However, I do mix in some insanity workouts in place of the P90x cardio because like I said earlier the Insanity workouts are much harder than the P90x cardio workouts.

Hope that helps
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    P90X is strength based with some cardio, yoga and stretching playing a lesser role. Insanity is pretty much the opposite of P90X in that the cornerstone is cardio with some body weight exercises thrown in for good measure. It all depends what your fitness goals are. Both programs are very good and they emphasize good nutrition for success. Good health to you!
  • lupuslady
    Options
    I am very interested in this topic. My boys know that I want wii, my sister has a new one. But the boys think I should get X box thingy. I want it for cardio.. I have not used either of them.
    But my income tax return is going for a new tv and one of the excercise boxes.
  • Yellowstone1983
    Yellowstone1983 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Insanity is mostly cardio, utilizing max interval training. His schtick is that he keeps your heart rate at a very high level with very short rest periods in between. The goal is to push each of the exercises as hard as you can during the allotted time. The workouts right now (during the first 4 weeks) are about 40-45 minutes, with an additional 15 minutes added on for the days you do "cardio abs" too. I am only on week 4, but from all the reviews and things that I've read, the workouts are supposed to increase to about 1 hour each after the recovery week. His workouts are 6 days a week, with the third day being a "recovery workout" and the 7th is a full day off. I love the workouts, they really really push you, but you have to watch your knees because there is a lot of jumping involved. I can't vouch for P90X because I haven't tried it yet, but from what I've heard it is pretty light on the cardio. I do know it requires weights and a pull up bar and Insanity requires no additional equipment. Also, I have heard that P90X workouts are generally 60-90 minutes. Hope this helps!
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    Can any of you tell me if the documentation that comes with the P90X is important? I've found several people selling the videos used here locally through a buy and sell site but videos only. I just want to make sure I don't get screwed!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yes, the materials are important. The exercise schedule, the food suggestions, and the resistance band that comes with the real program is worth getting. Without it you will be on here wondering what DVD to do first and in what order. If you go to the Beachbody web-site you can buy it on a payment plan. That is the best way to do it, if you're on a budget.
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That is how I got mine too. I bought it from a local gym that sells them cheap! I didnt buy it from the direct website because that can be pricey! Make sure yours comes with a DVD that is white... It has the actual workout schedule, meal plan, fitness assesment etc.. The set I bought I got for cheap but it didnt include that and that is essential! I had a friend print me out the workout schedule. I noticed with mine it came with a little book and what they had in there as the workout schedule none of the DVD names matched with what the book said! So make sure everything matches first!
  • mamagooskie
    Options
    That is how I got mine too. I bought it from a local gym that sells them cheap! I didnt buy it from the direct website because that can be pricey! Make sure yours comes with a DVD that is white... It has the actual workout schedule, meal plan, fitness assesment etc.. The set I bought I got for cheap but it didnt include that and that is essential! I had a friend print me out the workout schedule. I noticed with mine it came with a little book and what they had in there as the workout schedule none of the DVD names matched with what the book said! So make sure everything matches first!

Thank you I will be sure to look for those things!!!