Hello, Im new and Im at a loss why Im gaining....

Options
Hello, my name is Kim. I maintained a range of 128-132 pounds since I had my daughter 7 years ago. Id prefer to keep it under 130, but I was content with that range. I was a junk food junkie, but am active, so I maintained it. 2 months ago, I was physically attacked, and almost kidnapped by an ex boyfriend. Since then, i have been steadily gaining weight. HELP!

My current boyfriend is into cross fit, eats super healthy and is trying to "guide" me to eating and being more healthy. Ive stopped drinking anything but water, cut out fried foods, cut out most of the sugar, and am eating more healthy. I exercise, Im active, and nothing is working. I am gaining and cant stop. I am making myself sick because Im not used to be 143 pounds, that I weighed in today.

Im not superficial, just not feeling good about the condition IM in right now. Can anyone relate to anything Im saying? Im getting so frustrated.

Replies

• jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Please get help. Making yourself sick is not the answer. Clearly you've been through a traumatic event and therapy will do you a lot more good than a weight loss plan.
  • Tomboly1
    Tomboly1 Posts: 42
    Options
    I agree with jwooley. You are probably suffering from PTSD and your stress hormones are out of control. You need to get yourself mentally under control before you worry about your physical self. Get yourself some help for you and your daughter!
  • kimiejo76
    kimiejo76 Posts: 24
    Options
    Im in therapy. and Im not making myself physically sick, just sickened by the constant weight gain even though I changed my eating habits.

I also had my hormones checked at my gyno because i was in the beginning stages of getting "fixed" and then was fixed a bit after the attack.

Is it normal for ones body to gain weight after you start eating healthy?
  • mahoganyjules
    mahoganyjules Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So sorry you had to go through such an ordeal, Kim.

I second the comments from previous posters. Cortisol (the stress hormone) can do a number on your body including your weight. If you started gaining weight after the attempted kidnapping then I'd suggest that you first deal with how it could have affected you mentally. From there, can you deal with the physical effects.

Here's a great article on stress and weight gain: http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/can-stress-cause-weight-gain
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    As above, I don't think your gain has anything to do with eating and activity.
    Stress can makes your body to gain.
    Maybe have a talk with your therapist about what your real needs are, might not be your weight.
  • TraceyLee1102
    TraceyLee1102 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't want to read and not comment. I wish I had some answers for you and could say I can relate. I do want to say that I'm sorry you were traumatized by your ex boyfriend and went through that physical attack :( ((HUGS)) I am sure your body will eventual regulate itself out.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Im in therapy. and Im not making myself physically sick, just sickened by the constant weight gain even though I changed my eating habits.

I also had my hormones checked at my gyno because i was in the beginning stages of getting "fixed" and then was fixed a bit after the attack.

Is it normal for ones body to gain weight after you start eating healthy?

I agree with everyone above that your body's reaction to a traumatic event may be having an effect on your weight. It could, additionally, be that you're eating more calories despite eating "healthier" foods, and that is resulting in weight gain.
  • kimiejo76
    Options
    I know stress has something to do with it, i Just dont want to let it get out of control any more than it has. I do keep track of my calories on an app in my phone. It tracks my footsteps, weight, food intake, exercise, etc. I eat under my suggested calorie intake each day. it just keeps gettin worse.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Good posts all around. Kim the human body is a complicated machine and different things affect us differently. I'm glad you are getting help for this most recent tragic event so that is a good start.

My advice make sure that you are accurately measuring your food, and if you don't already own a food scale get one for at home and for at work. While stress is certainly a factor that can cause you to gain weight, misrepresentation of the calories you are consuming can sabotage any diet. Also be super honest about the calories you are burning at the gym and consider the idea of purchasing a good heart rate monitor to accurately measure your intensity. Cross fit is great but you can be fooled into writing off more calories than you are actually burning. A heart rate monitor and a good scale will keep you honest.

Kuddos for eliminating fatty foods that are fried and consuming more water. This will help keep you full longer without adding empty calories. I can't say for sure, but maybe you are gaining water weight. Consider measuring your BMR instead of just using the scale, that's the best indicator of true weight loss.
  • kimiejo76
    Options
    Thank you. HE does cross fit though.. i do not! haha, i do go to fit camp and walk/run the rail trail by my home.

Thanks for all the replies! I can tel this is going to be a really motivational group!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you went through such a trauma. Many years ago I was attacked by a crazy boyfriend, and it required doing EMDR Trauma Therapy for PTSD. EMDR really works.

Gaining is from eating more than one burns. Having had chronic PTSD, I can tell you that for me, even with terrible coritsol issues, I kept my weight under control, so don't think that you're cursed from being stressed. It doesn't have to be all that.

I would just ask you how you're feeling when you do cardio? Do you feel good from it? When I was suffering from PTSD, any cardio made me feel sick. My cortisol was already too high, so the additional cortisol high that cardio does to the body just made it worse.
    If that's the case for you, too, cardio may not be right for you, for now.

If you're gaining, you have two options. Tighten up on your calories, or exercise more. It's really that simple....and that hard.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    KimieJo - glad to hear you're working through this and reaching out is often very helpful. I did the same as Chani. Some medication, talk therapy and EMDR really helped in getting over the PTSD from the trauma.

You might also consider a Bach Flower Essence or two. Things don't always make sense to our rational minds when we go through something difficult. There is a Rescue Remedy that is for stress and upset and a variety of others that can help with other emotions.

I wish you the best.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    That's awesome Kim keep up the good work. There's a lot of good people here, we have a great community.
  • kimiejo76
    Options
    THank you all!!
  • rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    just wanted to echo what chani said. i've been under a huge amount of stress lately and thought that might have been the cause for my stall...but i decided to check out my calories and lower them by 250 and see what happened. the next two days that i ate lowered calories...i lost weight both days. I won't say hormones aren't ever the cause but when all else fails try lowering your calories and see what happens.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what all kinds of exercising you do or how long you do it, but have you looked into what your BMR and TDEE are? I suggest this if you haven't already. And to invest in a heart rate monitor. There's some on Amazon for under $8 just to get started. I was having issues teeter tottering between certain lbs until I increased my calorie intake and decreased the amount of time that I worked out. I went from 60 minutes 5x a day of zumba to 13 minutes of running up and down a hill at my house. I burned the same amount of calories, but my body worked harder in a shorter time. It really helped me kick start my weight loss. If you're not taking in the right amount of calories nor burning enough each week, you will gain. 3500 calories= 1lb. Apps and sites aren't 100% on their caloric burns. Like MFP for example. I was doing 60 minutes of zumba and it said I was burning almost 700 calories, but when I did the heart rate monitor it showed I only burn 455 calories in the length of time.

I'm sorry about what you went through and I hope you can eventually move past it. It's only going to bring you down in the end.

Weigh your food, get a way to accurately track caloric burn, and believe in yourself.
  • LaTrella
    LaTrella Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to the discussion board myself. You mentioned that you were or used to be a junk food junkie. What junk foods do or are you still consuming and how often in a day? This could be part of the problem. Just a suggestion.
  • kimiejo76
    Options
    I stopped eating them all within the last month. I dont drink soda, Only water.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Don't be so concerned with the scale. It could be water weight, it could be your body adjusting to not having its junk food and sugar.

Also HOW much weight have you gained? And how often do you weigh?

I would suggest to stop looking at the scale- are your clothes fitting tighter? How's your fitness levels? Do you have good energy? Can you exercise like you used to?

How is your sleep? If I went through an experience like that I'm not sure I would sleep again- and poor sleep can lead to weight gain, as well as stress.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories?