Calorie counting obsession how to break it?

Options
My nutritionist told me to stop counting but I have tried and tried but how can I stop? Does anyone have any suggestions or have expereinced this before?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    why were you told to stop counting?

oh and btw a nutrionist isn't really who I would be listening to for food and/or diet advice...they can get a "certificate" in 6 months from an online course for about 200$...

Try a registered dietician.
  • manningania
    manningania Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    why were you told to stop counting?

oh and btw a nutrionist isn't really who I would be listening to for food and/or diet advice...they can get a "certificate" in 6 months from an online course for about 200$...

Try a registered dietician.

Because my bmi is 15.5 and they believe that we counting each calorie is the cause of this lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    counting calories does not cause low weight not eating does.

If your BMI is 15.5 stop seeing the nutrionist and go see a physcologist...

A nutrionist is definately not equipped for that....you are a confessed anorexic.

Counting calories can be good and bad..good so you know you are getting in enough, bad because it's a number...

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    counting calories does not cause low weight not eating does.

If your BMI is 15.5 stop seeing the nutrionist and go see a physcologist...

A nutrionist is definately not equipped for that....you are a confessed anorexic.

Counting calories can be good and bad..good so you know you are getting in enough, bad because it's a number...

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/find-help-support

^^ This. There is nothing inherently wrong with counting calories. When you become obsessed with not eating at maintenance, that's more of a psychological issue. You should seek help from a psychologist if you're feeling bad for eating an appropriate amount.
  • jen4relient22
    Options
    i had to start seeing a psychologist in order to stop... it involved lots of counseling, and then the first stop to "not counting" was keeping a food diary that didn't include any numbers... so i'd just write down what i ate that day (ex. breakfast- yogurt with peanut butter. lunch- soup and an apple, etc) and i did that for a couple months until i felt comfortable not keeping track of my food at all. it helped a lot! i really encourage everyone to not count calories and to just enjoy life! (why am i on here you may ask- i still like being on the message boards and like the sense of community.)