Salad Ideas

Options
Greetings!!

I am looking for yummy, cheap ideas for salads. I am having trouble working out after eating my lunch at work because it leaves me feeling a bit blah and I am hoping that eating something like a salad will help so that I can go home, workout and then eat a proper lunch. I need to find something to eat as I find that if I don't eat within 3 hours or a workout I can't function properly and it affects the intensity too much. I am terrible for picking while at work so having a salad that I can dip into will probably help that as well!! I must stay away from the chocolate tin!!!

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Especially any that contain good amounts of protein, are low cal, low cost and just really tasty!

Many thanks!!!

Replies

• icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    What!? Nobody?

Bump!!
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My go to salad is spinach, chicken (I buy pre-cooked strips), goat cheese, sliced honey roasted almonds, berries, and balsamic dressing.
    Sometimes I leave the berries out and use a berry dressing
    I also like to do blue cheese crumbles and buffalo dressing.
    Or a cucumber/tomato salad in rice vinegar with some seasoned salt.
    Basically, I like chicken, fruit, cheese, and nuts. I almost always just use baby spinach.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This list contains a bunch of really good-looking salads! I have intended to cook my way through them this summer. :o)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/low-carb-lunch-ideas
  • RedRider230
    RedRider230 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like spinach, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, shredded cheese, croutons with catalina dressing. I use the Olive Garden croutons (30 calories for 2 tablespoons and $1 at Walmart). Add tuna, chicken or ham if you want. It fills me up and tastes great. :happy:
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My fav salad. It is a knock-off from the restaurant, Brio.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1277120-brio-tuscan-harvest-salad
  • Deb_622
    Deb_622 Posts: 694
    Options
    My typical salad is spinach, romaine, carrots, bacon bits, a single serve pouch (its just easier at work) of Starkist tuna and craisins...with light red wine + olive oil dressing...sometimes I swap out the tuna for chicken seasoned with Mrs. Dash.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    My favorite salad is romaine, red cabbage, jicama, bell peppers, edamame, soy sauce, tahini, sesame seed!. :)
  • Aquamum9
    Aquamum9 Posts: 51
    Options
    My go to salad is spinach, chicken (I buy pre-cooked strips), goat cheese, sliced honey roasted almonds, berries, and balsamic dressing.
    Sometimes I leave the berries out and use a berry dressing
    I also like to do blue cheese crumbles and buffalo dressing.
    Or a cucumber/tomato salad in rice vinegar with some seasoned salt.
    Basically, I like chicken, fruit, cheese, and nuts. I almost always just use baby spinach.

Mine is very similar to this. Fresh greens, grilled chicken, strawberries, feta, sliced almonds, and strawberry balsamic vinaigrette. It is so scrumptious and SO filling, and you can get at least 3 salads out of buying the ingredients just once. :smile:
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Some of my faves: :tongue:

Romaine + drained/rinsed canned chickpeas + chicken + black olives + broccoli + carrots + green goddess dressing, yummmm

Romaine + black beans + chicken + bell peppers + greek yogurt or avocado, 1/4 cup + salsa + hot sauce

Spring mix + portobellos (marinated in soy and balsamic and garlic and cooked in oven or on stovetop) + avocado + bacon + sunflower seeds + balsamic dressing

Cabbage + julienned carrots and jicama + mango or pineapple + pumpkin or sunflower seeds + avocado dressing (1/4 avocado with 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. vinegar, 1/2 tbsp. honey, 1 tsp chili powder) Add chicken or black beans for proteins

Greek Salad: mixed greens + feta + cucumber + chickpeas + red bell pepper + olives + 2 tbsp. hummus + chicken or shrimp + greek dressing
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites to make is a Steak Salad.

Grilled New York Strip or Rib Eye seasoned with salt and ground black pepper and then chilled. Toss together with romaine lettuce, endive, red onion, baby arugula, cherry tomatoes, and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese and BAM..bowl full of YUM. Goes perfect with a red wine Vinaigrette.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    Some fab idea here! Thank you!

I am lactose intolerant so not sure about the cheese additions but I like the idea of mixing fruit into a salad!

I am away to check out those links! :)
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    Wow! Even more yummy appeared while I was typing!

Now I am hungry!
  • soozy84
    soozy84 Posts: 118
    Options
    My fave salad is: mixed leaves, tomatoes, spring onions, goat's cheese, strawberries, walnuts & a balsamic and spray olive oil dressing. Yum!
  • 39laurita39
    39laurita39 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love tasty salads with few ingredients and I'm guilty of leaving the greens out sometimes hehe :) because they taste delicious just like that! Everything with balsamic vinegar. my favorites are:

Chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, spring onion and goat's cheese + spinach
    Shredded carrots with tuna and cottage cheese (yummy!)
    And baked tofu cubes with any salad are tasty and high in protein
    Mixing nuts and fresh fruits is delicious too :)
  • Becky60s
    Becky60s Posts: 11
    Options
    Bumping to save!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    there's a thread on here somewhere with over 100 salad recipes... i'll see if I can find it and post :bigsmile:
  • starspecks
    starspecks Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Arugula, steak, marinated artichokes, olives, tomatoes ( DIY dressing is Extra virgin olive oil, Balsamic vinegar and spices)

Spinach, chicken, apples, grapes, pecans, red onion (I use Annie's lite raspberry vinaigrette)

hard boiled eggs chopped, shredded carrot, sliced radish, ham ( dressing for this one is apple cider vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, Salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil)

You can add or omit cheese on any of these. I like Parmesan or goat cheese.
  • Snooozie
    Options
  • Snooozie
    Options
    yum starspecs... thanks for those ideas; quick and easy and sound scrumptious!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Greetings!!

I am looking for yummy, cheap ideas for salads. I am having trouble working out after eating my lunch at work because it leaves me feeling a bit blah and I am hoping that eating something like a salad will help so that I can go home, workout and then eat a proper lunch. I need to find something to eat as I find that if I don't eat within 3 hours or a workout I can't function properly and it affects the intensity too much. I am terrible for picking while at work so having a salad that I can dip into will probably help that as well!! I must stay away from the chocolate tin!!!

Any ideas would be much appreciated! Especially any that contain good amounts of protein, are low cal, low cost and just really tasty!

Many thanks!!!

Here's a recipe I posted a while back for a fiesta chicken salad:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235283-the-most-amazing-fiesta-salad-you-ll-ever-have