hourglass figure

Options
Hello MyFitness Pal friends!

i was curious to know if any of yall had tips to help gain an "hourglass" figure? Or is it really all genetics ?

Replies

98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    From the way I see it, it's pretty much all genetics....where the fat is programmed to be stored, regardless of weight. The shape will always be there.

But, of course you can get closer to it based on a certain things....for example, if you carry more abdominal fat, you can get some of that off and have a smaller waist, build more muscles up for definition in legs and shoulders, wearing certain clothing etc.

But someone who is rectangular in shape will never really be Christina Hendricks....they don't have her genes. And Hendricks will never be like them.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Genetics.

But I have heard good things about the Strong Curves lifting program. Also there's always boob jobs.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    not sure, but i think it has alot to do with genetics. For example-I have an hour glass figure. WHen I was heavier- I still had a waist-but had a belly and a double chin LOL, but my waist was there!! Now that I lost some weight you can see my shape from the front as well...not just when I walk away anymore LOL
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Comes from boobs and hips right? Those aren't muscle... so it's genetic.

I figure the most you can do is drop your bodyfat% to a point you're happy with, and work on your butt a bit, although your results will ultimately (to whatever extent) be determined by... genetics.

New Rules of Lifting for Women, ftw. Great book.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It's in yo genes.

and yer jeans.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My mommy and daddy made mine (mostly mommy though) :laugh:
  • clsindc
    clsindc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Genes. 50 pounds ago I thought I was an hourglass...turned out that was just a heckuva lot of fat sitting on my chest and hips.
  • cpsides
    Options
    Genetics, yes. However, you can say "EFF GENETICS" if you lift heavy weight at low reps--especially squats--and work on building muscle/losing fat. When you are at a low body fat percetnage, where you store fat nautrally doesn't play as much of a role. You also want to work abs, with the exception of obliques, if you really want to wittle your waist down to be a much wider gap in the waist to hip ratio.
    So, build your booty with squats, sumo squats, leg presses, etc. then work your core with the exception of obliques and drop your body percentage. Weightlifting allows you to shape your body the way you want. It IS possible!

There's so much more to it than that, but that's it in a nutshell.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    For me, as I store all the weight in my bum and thighs, I'm pear shaped until I hit a certain body fat %. It used to be when I hit 126lb, but my LBM has gone up so that number is probably higher now. That's old school slim, back in the day any bigger than that and you begin to stand out as a bit of a chubber, but there wasn't a lot of food around in uk suburbia '80s and no one was overweight. I imagine nowadays many people have been overweight their whole adult lives and have never seen what their slim self looks like.

I'm 5'7" and small framed. My measurements are always 34 on top but waist and hips vary from 24/36 at my lowest to 30/40 at higher weights. So yes genetics is a lot to do with it but I believe most woman have a sweet spot where they are hour glass.(if that means top and bottom are equal).
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hourglass does not just mean that the bust and the hips are equal. To have an actual hourglass figure, you bust and hips have to be within 1" of each other..but the part you all are not realizing is that the waist has to be 9" or more smaller than the bust. This is very rare and is probably almost all genetics. I hate to burst people's bubbles, but less than a 9" difference actually make you a square. But really, who cares about a label?! If you're suck on being an hourglass though, you can always fake it with a corset.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass except when I gain weight, because now I gain most of my weight in my midsection. I'm back to one, though! And I still have more to lose off my waist.

My hips/butt are really mostly muscle, but my legs are naturally big muscle, too. When I lose more and more weight my boobs keep going away but my hips stay pretty large (all muscle at that point), as do my thighs. I used to HATE it growing up. Now I don't :)
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You can train your body with a corset. Over time, you gradually tighten the waist the organs slowly move a little making your waist smaller. This is not healthy and takes years but women still do it.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hourglass does not just mean that the bust and the hips are equal. To have an actual hourglass figure, you bust and hips have to be within 1" of each other..but the part you all are not realizing is that the waist has to be 9" or more smaller than the bust. This is very rare and is probably almost all genetics. I hate to burst people's bubbles, but less than a 9" difference actually make you a square. But really, who cares about a label?! If you're suck on being an hourglass though, you can always fake it with a corset.

Well that's made me happy. I'm an hourglass! (For now)
  • xXUndeadChickXx
    Options
    I have been reading about it and I am pretty sure it is genetics. I am an hourglass figure that has measurements of 48-38-48 (just found out 2 days ago when I was getting fitted for a dress). The tailor said she has had many clients come in who have flutuacted in weight and their hourglasses are still defined. So I am assuming from that statement that you don't lose your body shape from weight gain.
  • chantellelouise03
    Options
    You can try taking pueraria mirifica while loosing weight it will prevent so much coming off of breasts so the waist should become proportionally smaller also build more muscle to the butt to make that bigger.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    It's not all genetics.

My mom and much of her family are top heavy. And I am too but I can achieve a top hourglass by skewing what I normally eat. I was 108 at my heaviest with a 25" waist and 33" hips and huge boobs DDs almost the next cup up 37.5-25-33. I lost 10 lbs and became a 36-24-33. I changed what I changed my intake of soda to tea that was the only difference odd thing was my hip bones stayed wider than they were before which was around 30-32" in hip measurement. I always struggled getting my waist below 24" I think it may be a change in diet added to a change in hormones. But my current measurements are 36-23-33 as opposed to 37.5-25-33 which would be inverted triangle measurements.

For pears idk if there's a way for them to achieve hourglass without surgery. But I do know for rectangles and inverted triangles it's easier to achieve because all you have to do is get the waist 10 inches below your hips. My hips have very little fat on them as long as the actual pelvis structure is 30 inches or more then there would be no fat for the hips to lose therefore it would have to come off the waist. If you burn fat off your waist enough as long as your waist is 22" you'd be an hourglass or top hourglass. That's basically how I got an hourglass figure despite normally at most other weights being an inverted triangle.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    damn you zombie
  • tebe0005
    tebe0005 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Some weight training in certain areas should help, but it's mostly genetics I believe...
    But if the problem is the waist (after weight loss and especially if you're a rectangle shape) doing some waist training with corsets MADE for waist training (not cheap $5-20 ones on ebay) can definitely help slowly mold you into more of a hourglass shape.
  • Ideal362433
    Options
    Some weight training in certain areas should help, but it's mostly genetics I believe...
    But if the problem is the waist (after weight loss and especially if you're a rectangle shape) doing some waist training with corsets MADE for waist training (not cheap $5-20 ones on ebay) can definitely help slowly mold you into more of a hourglass shape.

That's another good idea.
  • Tashajade0602
    Options
    I Naturally have an hourglass figure and hate it!.... No clothes suit me and no one seems to like my figure