Low-calorie things to dip in hummus?

Options
I LOVE hummus. I don't know about you guys, but I think its amazing stuff. I just hate it that the only thing I can think of to dip in it is tortillas. While the hummus I buy (and I think hummus in general) is low calorie, tortillas are not, and I could go through three or four tortillas in a snacking session. What should I try to dip in my hummus that I can safely eat more of? Any suggestions?

Replies

• denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    baby carrotts - it is great with hummus...or Christie Whole Wheat crackers - 13 crackers = 90 calories
  • lsmortenson
    Options
    I also love hummus!! I really like to dip raw veggies in it, such as baby carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. Very low cal snack! I also really like to toast pita bread and dip that in it. An average pita has about 160 calories in it but I find it to be more filling than tortillas.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not too different from tortillas but baked pita bread is good with it too.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Carrots, celery, radish. If using broccoli, I prefer it blanched rather than entirely raw.
    You can also use it as a spread on your lunch instead of using it as a dip.
  • Floricienta
    Floricienta Posts: 209
    Options
    baby carrots, celery, red peppers or you can slice whole pita bread and make "chips"
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    raw veggies or low cal crackers!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I prefer the super SUPER baby carrots, I think they are called petite carrots; and I also love carrot chips (crinkle cut carrots). Another good option is daikon radish slices, delicious! I get the radishes at my local Asian supermarket.

I also make my own homemade hummus and use just 1 can of chick peas (garbanzo beans); 1 tablespoon of tahini; juice of 1 lemon; and lots of garlic. I make this in my food processor, it takes a minute, and it has I believe 40 calories for 2 tablespoons. Yum!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I dip veggies as well. Baby carrots, celery, grape tomatos, cucumber, green pepper, brocoli, cauliflower.

Take a pita bread, cut it into 8 wedges and then seperate the wedges. Sprinkle it with chili powder and cumin. Bake them for a few minutes. And dip those. Yumm.

You can also use hummus instead of mayonaise in sandwiches.
  • LOLmerrill
    LOLmerrill Posts: 43
    Options
    raw veggies. carrots, celery, broccoli, cucumber, jicama! Although I also do the simply naked pita chips with sea salt. so good!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Endive, whole-wheat pita, Ak-mak crackers (I think this is what they're called), celery, broccoli, etc.

I love endive though. It's great with a roasted pepper and white bean dip, too!
  • magicmama
    magicmama Posts: 19
    Options
    Suzie's quinoa/flax cakes ~ similar to rice cakes, but thin like crackers. 16 calories per cake. I spread them with hummus, guacamole, salsa ... all sorts of good stuff that just needs a vehicle to get from the dish to my tummy. :)
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    yeah I do veggies...had some earlier, yum...a healthy alternative to "ranch dips"
  • BohemianDestiny
    BohemianDestiny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the responses. Can't believe I never thought of veggies before. Silly me. :)

I might just have to try making my own hummus. I love doing stuff like that. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My finger works best.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas are AMAZING... I really like carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, red or yellow capsicum... all are LOVELY
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bell peppers! <3 them. The red ones have an unreal amount of vitamin c in them, too :)
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Red bell peppers, petite carrots, and stringless sugar snap peas. It's also good spread on a sandwich or wrap.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    baby carrots! that's the only thing that i dip in humms and i've practically become addicted to them. I eat this almost every day for a snack. I eat athenos hummus and with carrots it's only 85 calories, but it still keeps me full until my next meal.
  • mead2006
    mead2006 Posts: 10
    Options
    i have used baby carrots and crackers like wheat thins i am so new to hummus though my sister introduced it to me hubby just suggested cucumber to me but love all the ideas
  • AndreaEllen
    AndreaEllen Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Raw zuccinni! Yellow squash, bell peppers, and special K cracker chips are all good!