Millet, Chia Seeds, Hemp seeds, Etc.

Options
So, I just bought myself a bag of millet, chia seeds, and hulled hemp seeds because they're considered super-healthy-good-for-you foods based on what I've been reading up on. My problem is that I buy this stuff and just don't know what to do with it. I now have a various assortment of stuff in my pantry that I need to incorporate into my diet but I'm not sure how. I've got Red & White Quinoa, Couscous, Spelt flakes, Rye Flakes, Kamut Flakes, Orzo, Ground Flax, A various assortment of beans (of every kind). My husband calls me a health-food hoarder and thinks I need an intervention.

Anyone have any good recipes or websites I can refer to for cooking ideas? I spend so much money on 'good' food that just sits there and looks at me every time I open the cupboard doors that I think it's about time that I figure out how to use it all...

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I bought the Eat Clean Diet recharged recently and she mentions chia seeds. I am not sure if there are recipes for them or not. I know she talks about sprinkling flax seeds on oatmeal - maybe you could do the same with chia seeds.
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of milled flax, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds and something else seeds and I put 2 spoons in a smoothie every morning. The Quinoa and cous cous you can use like rice with curries, salads whatever, never heard of the others, but I'd be tempted to wash my clothes with Orzo :laugh: :laugh:
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    This site looked like it had some pretty basic (ie easy) recipes.

http://www.chiaseedrecipes.com/40-ways-to-use-chia-seeds.php
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Hit up a vegan web site and you will find tons of recipes. I love millet!

try www.vegweb.com just type in the ingredient and you'll find tons of recipes.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I mix the ground flax seed meal into my greek yogurt for breakfast. If you buy the seeds already ground, make sure you store it in the fridge. The oil in the seeds can go rancid once it's ground. Whole seeds will keep in the pantry fine for a while, but you have to refridgerate the meal.

Like already mentioned, I use cous cous as a sub for rice. I haven't tried any of the others, so let us know how it turns out. Good luck!
  • lessman29
    Options
    I love the hemp seeds on my salads instead of croutons or sesame seeds
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I was introduced to Chia Seeds through Fat Flush for Life by Ann Louise Gittleman. I put chia seeds on my salads and in my smoothies for my protein. I also use Ground Flax Seeds as fiber from that diet plan as well.
  • karikariboberry
    karikariboberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to yogurt, also, a baked apple, with chia seeds, yogurt and cinnamon is delicious