Do I need a protein shake? Is it unnecessary?

Options
I do pretty intensive gym sessions consisting of weight machines and cardio (between 500-800 cal burn) and was wondering if I should use protein powders? I get a lot of protein from my diet - chicken, eggs and red meat eaten everyday.
At the moment the only supplement I use is Muscle Mousse casein protein at night if I've done weights.

Obviously I know the answer is probably only if I need the excess protein and calories, but is it unnecessary since I'm not doing free weights?

x

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    No matter what your body will need protein. I'm not sure why you are distinguishing between free weights and weight machines, you need protein to repair torn muscles, which will happen just because you are exercising and pushing yourself. Your body doesn't distinguish the reason why or the equipment used. (If it did, weight machines would be useless.)

You could be doing just fine with what you are getting from food sources. I'm only walking currently but I'm drinking one protein shake a day because I have a hard time getting enough protein yet staying low on my calories. So I have one everyone morning (GNC Total Lean 25) which is also high in fiber and that's my breakfast.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You don't need to drink protein shakes if you feel you get plenty of protein through you're diet. The shakes are best for serious weight trainers who want to reach a gram of protein per pound minimum. It can be difficult to eat that much especially for larger people because protein can be filing and suppress your hunger. You do need to eat at a calorie surplus to get good results from the weight training though. If your goal is weight loss, cardio is best until you get near your weight loss goal.
  • LauraBest2013
    LauraBest2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah I realise now that sounded a bit daft haha! I guess I meant that I wasn't lifting heavy on the bar or anything, but you're right in that I still get DOMS after weight machines.

I do find myself hitting calorie and macros through 3 main meals and then a lot of snacks so I'm thinking of replacing some of the snacking with a shake as a quicker and more convenient meal.

Thanks! x
  • LauraBest2013
    Options
    You don't need to drink protein shakes if you feel you get plenty of protein through you're diet. The shakes are best for serious weight trainers who want to reach a gram of protein per pound minimum. It can be difficult to eat that much especially for larger people because protein can be filing and suppress your hunger. You do need to eat at a calorie surplus to get good results from the weight training though. If your goal is weight loss, cardio is best until you get near your weight loss goal.

I'm actively trying to shred body fat but I'm not wanting to get to competition level size or anything like that!
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    You don't "need" it, but protein shakes can be an easy to way to get protein in. Throw in some fruit and maybe pb and you got a meal in a cup. I do protein shakes a lot for breakfast when I am on the go.
  • ccarr24
    ccarr24 Posts: 3
    Options
    You say you already get a lot of protein from your diet so a protein shake seems overkill... there are a lot of other quick high protein snacks that you could add, here is a good list...

greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable
  • LauraBest2013
    Options
    Yeah I do think I get enough from meals generally and I know that is preferable to taking it in as a shake.

Thanks, will have a look!

x