Runner's Blisters

Options
Hello lads,
This might be the wrong place for this, but I figured since this place is supposed to aim to help other people who run, I might as well post it here.
My problem in here is that every time I run, and this is always in the same spots, I get this horrible pain after a while. The pain worsens over time, and always, I find the blisters below my feet to bubble up on the exact same spot, every time. Sometimes, it becomes a blood bubble, and sometimes, it is only filled with other fluid(sweat)?
The places I am referring to is this one: http://imgur.com/16ewKSW This example is more mild, but sometimes, it becomes very annoying to walk on my feet, because it bubbles up.
Does anyone know what this is? Is this something basic, and what can be done against this issue?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but was a long distance speed skater. I used to get blisters from my skates. I swore by a product called Compeed. It was a gel bandage that allowed me to train despite really bad blisters. You need to follow the instructions on the package with warming the bandage to get it to adhere properly.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Try changing your socks or shoes. The only time I ever had blisters was from running in the rain when my foot slid around in the shoe and one time I bought some new shoes. Both runs in those gave me blisters. Took them back and traded them in and haven't had any since.
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Any advice what kind of shoes are recommended for me in this case? Any special brand? Any kind of much desired feature?
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Change your socks!! Get a sock that is meant for running - which means NO WHITE TUBE SOCKS! Those things kill when running. I personally love smart wool brand, but there are other brands out there as well. They are more expensive than normal socks, but worth every penny.

Good luck!
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. They should let you try out the shoes on a treadmill or even run up and down their street. Find a pair that feels great and go with them.

THEN... buy some running socks that are lightweight and designed to keep your feet dry. This is a big deal for me - I was getting really bad blisters before I changed socks.

Last... if the problem persists (it probably won't) there's a product called Bodyglide that strongly recommend. It goes on like deodorant and does a great job preventing blisters and chafing anywhere on your body.

Hope that helps!
  • threefancy
    threefancy Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and get fitted. Everyone is different, and they'll have the best advice after assessing your feet and gait.
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use New Balance 609s and whatever socks are clean lol. Never had any trouble with blisters
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    apply moleskin if you are reluctant to give up on a pair of pricey running shoes... you might try different insoles or two pairs of socks.. BUT if you apply moleskin over the area that is blistering (before it blisters) you should be just fine...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Go to a store for a fitting; I only blister with new shoes I haven't fully broken in; best of luck.
  • kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to get blisters on the balls of my feet. I now wear 2 pairs of socks and it has been completely alleviated. The trick is to wear one really thin liner pair against the skin and a thick cushioning sock over that. Both pairs should be wicking material and NO cotton. The friction is transferred between the socks instead of between my foot and the sock.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Any advice what kind of shoes are recommended for me in this case? Any special brand? Any kind of much desired feature?

Moisture wicking socks .... shoes that are properly fit to your foot and stride ... spray antiperspirant if necessary.
  • Koshbunny
    Koshbunny Posts: 8
    Options
    Wright Socks (no joke) are awesome.