Is this a good price - personal trainer?

Options
13»

Replies

• TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Is depends on your motivation and if you can learn things on your own. I have never invested in a personal trainer because I feel that I actually do more than what I see them coaching others to do. If I ever hire a coach it will be to compete.

I would suggest you do your home work and try to come up with your own program first before you hire a trainer. You may not realize how much potential you have and can pull out of yourself.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    The price is about what you get at big gyms like that. 24 Hour Fitness is similarly priced, but they don't lock you in for a year. But it sounds to me like you don't need a trainer, you need a program that pushes you instead. There are so many free workout plans online that if you follow and push yourself, you'll get results. People on here can give you great recommendations. If you DO get a trainer, consider these points:

1. Know why you need one and have specific goals in mind - "I want to get in shape" is not a goal. "I want to reduce my body fat" or "I want to get stronger" are very weak goals that need specifics to back them up. "I want to be able to deadlift my body weight" or "I want to work on my running form so I can improve my 5K time" are strong goals that give your trainer direction and focus.

2. Make sure the one you choose is competent. They should be properly certified. Watch the trainers in your gym and the clients they work with. Never pick a trainer who's letting a client get away with bad form.

3. Be educated. Your trainer may not always be correct, and you will not do every single workout with your trainer. Do research about exercises you're asked to do to understand why your trainer thinks they're appropriate for your goals. Independently understand what proper form is so you can safely work out on your own, and so you can make sure your trainer's not asking you to do something dumb or dangerous.

4. Try to find someone you're comfortable having an open and honest dialogue with. If you don't understand why you're doing something, talk about it. If you don't like something you're doing, try to find a substitute. If you think you should be doing more than you are, discuss it. It can be hard to disagree with the "expert," but sometimes your concerns need to be voiced. And remember, you're paying this person to help you see certain results. If that's not happening, you need to be able to talk about why.

5. If it's just not working, don't be afraid to say so and find someone else. It's a waste of your money and everyone's time if you're not getting anything out of your sessions.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    $20 per half hour for my trainer. He is a world class athlete. He won the "Mighty Mitts" last year and placed 2nd this year. Depends on the quality of the trainer. I would pay more to work.with him if I had to.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Doh!!!!!!:laugh:
  • Jules53180
    Options
    First, just to clarify, LA FITNESS DOES have certified trainers, mine also has a degree in kinesiology. I think it's a great price considering I lost 40lbs in a year and built muscle. You can interview as many trainers as you want without question, in fact they recommend it. I don't need to workout for an hour because I know how to stretch and do cardio. I'm more interested in being challenged and learning different exercises. For what they pay in education and certification, it's a no brainer, one time investment in yourself.
    Look at it this way, surgery doctor visits and medications sound more expensive! Right? Kudos to you for getting one, just don't be afraid to ask QUESTIONS. the gym is easy to use, once you have the knowledge. If you go to school, or have a career would you nor expect to get paid your worth? I feel great and look great! As long as you stay committed you'll be fine. Price is on point in my opinion. Hope this helps!
  • monie5903
    monie5903 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So I go to gold's gym and I pay $30 for a 30 min session. I see my trainer twice a week. However, to me, it's been worth it. She is super understanding and pushes me past what I think I'm able to do. I can text her whenever. She helps me construct my workout schedule for the week and we tweak it based off anything I'm adding. If you have the drive, and determination, it is worth it, esp if the trainer is knowlegable and you click. I've lost 93 pounds in the past year working out with her. We not only focus on my workouts, but my eating as well. She is sure that I work my entire body thoughout the week.
  • MPD6944
    MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I pay $140 every 4 half-hour sessions, so $280 a month because I go twice a week, been doing this for six months now and love my trainer but now that I have learned what to do/what not to do I plan on going down to 1x a week so that price will be cut in half, it is very addicting and keeps me accountable.
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you are, which gym and how good is the trainer. I am in NY, at Planet Fitness, the boy ( they are usually pretty young) charge $20 an hour and they train you with the machine. At NYC, a decent gym like Crunch charges from $75/hour to $120/hour. They are usually more experienced. I heard from a friend who went to equinox and their trainer charge more....

I have tried personal trainers and I have to say if you can get a good one, it's really effective. However, most work outs they make you do, you can do on your own. If you can afford it, why not.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    where i live $100 an hour is about average
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Holy heck.... Never ever ever getting one of those... again. Paying someone that much to tell you your fat and your always going to be? Pass.

I had one as part of my signing up for the gym deal many many years back... Session one - work me out so hard that I couldn't breath for over a half an hour after I left the gym. Session two never happened. Crazy ***** had NO idea what I could and couldn't do without being nearly hospitalized. Never again.
  • momiji166
    Options
    Only you know if you need a trainer or not, I pay £150 for 10 45 min sessions and have been doing so for 5 months, I have had a respectable amount of weight and inch loss and feel like a completely different person and I intend to use her for the whole of my weight loss journey. a 30 min workout is short but if you complete your own warm up and cool down you can still smash it in a 30 min workout. I am at the point now where I will do cardio for around 30 minsor a class before my session. The fact that you have to commit for me is the issue, no one knows what they are going to be doing in 12 months.

Good look on your journey.
  • 1948sixty
    1948sixty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    In February I signed up for a personal trainer also at LA Fitness...I'm paying $40 for each 30 minute session. I'm seeing him once a week for one year. It was the best decision I ever made for myself. #1 he changes up the exercises all the time which is perfect for me since I tend to get in a rut and do the same thing over and over. #2 he pushes me further than I ever would myself...he has made me realize I am stronger than I think and that I can keep pushing for "more". #3 seeing him weekly is a great motivator, provides some accountability. Take full advantage of this opportunity!
  • gymm44035
    gymm44035 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go to fitness 19 and pay 23.00 for each 30 minute session. I've been with him for 7 months, have lost 20 pounds of body fat that I didn't know I had and am starting to build muscle now. His sessions ae challenging and always changing. Definitely well worth it.